PDA

View Full Version : 8B. Kalev Pugi Fund Committee (3 positions)

Lyle Craver
08-08-2015, 12:14 AM
No nominations being received during the first 3 days I am directed to re-open nominations for the Kalev Pugi Fund Committee.

The following is quoted from the CFC Handbook section 1008:

1008. KALEV PUGI FUND - The will of former Chess Federation of Canada President Kalev Pugi bequested $10,000 to the Chess Foundation of Canada to be set aside as a seperate fund called the "Kalev Pugi Chess Education Fund". Subsequent donations have increased this amount to $20,000 (as of 2009). The income generated from that fund is to go toward assisting young Canadian chess players under the age of 18 years to travel to chess competitions and tournaments for the purpose of increasing their chess playing skills and education.

It is the responsibility of the Chess Foundation of Canada to manage the money in accordance with the terms of the will. At the Annual General Meeting of the Chess Federation of Canada each year, a committee of three persons is elected to select any players for assistance from the fund that have a need and meet the qualifications under the terms of the will. Applications from or on behalf of eligible recipients may be submitted to the Board of Trustees via the CFC at any time.

Nominations are hereby open for the 3 open positions. (nominations close at 6pm ET August 13 - day 5)

Fred McKim
08-12-2015, 09:57 AM
I nominate Frank Lee (I think we've agreed in the past that the Youth Co-ordinator should be on this committee).

Fred McKim
08-12-2015, 10:01 AM
I will also nominate Paul LeBlanc (as there is a natural advantage to having the Treasurer of the Foundation on this Committee).

Lloyd Lombard
08-12-2015, 07:59 PM
I nominate Lyle Craver.

Lyle Craver
08-13-2015, 05:07 AM
I decline - I've had enough years on the Committee and it's time for someone else to have the chance.

Paul Leblanc
08-13-2015, 12:03 PM
I also decline. And I nominate Patrick MacDonald. I believe these positions should be filled by people knowledgeable and involved in junior chess.

Fred McKim
08-13-2015, 12:45 PM
I would suggest we ensure that not all 3 members are from the same province. I was thinking Felix Dumont or Richard Berube would be good for QC and I'm sure there must be a few good choices for AB. Another thought - what about one of the coaches on the CYCC team ?

Lyle Craver
08-13-2015, 02:36 PM
Much as I would like AB participation none of the AB outgoing VMs have responded to repeated e-mails concerning who the ACA elected at their AGM to fill their 5 VM spots. That's why you haven't heard from them at this meeting. The ACA AGM is usually in June. While as national Secretary (I use this terminology to distinguish my dual roles of Secretary of both the CFC and BC Chess Federation - obviously BC reports its new VMs quickly since I do the BCCF Minutes!) I routinely ask for the new slates it is beyond my power update these if I do not get responses to requests on this subject. My view on Voting Members is that it is primarily the outgoing members who have the responsibility of informing the CFC who their successors are even though I try to "tickle their memory". BC (for obvious reasons) and ON (usually done by the OCA president) have usually been the first to report their VMs for the following year during my time as CFC Secretary.

As for Quebec, all three of their representatives have full access to this meeting and to the Forum and are welcome to nominate any qualified candidate they choose.

I remind members that that "qualified" means "current, adult CFC member". Being a member of the Voting Member Assembly is NOT a requirement for any CFC Executive, Officer or Committee member. For VMs there is the additional requirement that you be a regular resident of the province you're representing.

Michael Barron
08-13-2015, 03:41 PM
I would suggest we ensure that not all 3 members are from the same province.

I nominate Felix Dumont and Maxim Doroshenko.

Fred McKim
08-13-2015, 05:46 PM
I nominate Felix Dumont and Maxim Doroshenko.

Michael. Can you provide a one or two line bio for Maxim.

Félix Dumont
08-13-2015, 06:07 PM
I hadn't given it much thought, but it seems like an interesting position, so I will accept the nomination.

Michael Barron
08-13-2015, 06:31 PM
Michael. Can you provide a one or two line bio for Maxim.

Please see his bio on Vancouver Chess School website:
http://www.vanchess.ca/coaches/view/id/855

Fred McKim
08-13-2015, 09:09 PM
I hadn't given it much thought, but it seems like an interesting position, so I will accept the nomination. I think you'll be an excellent addition.

Fred McKim
08-13-2015, 09:11 PM
Please see his bio on Vancouver Chess School website:
http://www.vanchess.ca/coaches/view/id/855
Seems reasonable. I think you need to get a statement from him, that he's interested.

Fred McKim
08-13-2015, 09:17 PM
Lyle will probably be here soon, but nominations are now closed, as far as I can tell.
Maxim Doroshenko, Felix Dumont (has accepted nomination), Frank Lee and Patrick MacDonald were nominated.
I'll leave it to Lyle as to how to proceed from here.

Lyle Craver
08-13-2015, 09:40 PM
Since it is now past 1600 ET I declare nominations closed. The TD List shows Doroshenko's membership as having expired 1 May 2015 so he would be ineligible for nomination unless we can get a confirmation from the Office that he renewed his membership before the close of nominations. This leaves us with the following nominations:

Felix Dumont
Paul Leblanc
Frank Lee
Patrick McDonald

With this in mind I close this thread and refer members to thread 7.3 "The Voting Booth" Kalev Pugi Fund Committee. Members should note that there are 3 positions available and that they may vote for up to 3 candidates. Anyone selecting more will have their vote disqualified - however you may vote for as many as you like up to 3.

Fred McKim
08-13-2015, 09:53 PM
Since it is now past 1600 ET I declare nominations closed. The TD List shows Doroshenko's membership as having expired 1 May 2015 so he would be ineligible for nomination unless we can get a confirmation from the Office that he renewed his membership before the close of nominations. This leaves us with the following nominations:

Felix Dumont
Paul Leblanc
Frank Lee
Patrick McDonald

With this in mind I close this thread and refer members to thread 7.3 "The Voting Booth" Kalev Pugi Fund Committee. Members should note that there are 3 positions available and that they may vote for up to 3 candidates. Anyone selecting more will have their vote disqualified - however you may vote for as many as you like up to 3.

Paul declined his nomination, it's on the previous page.

Vladimir Drkulec
08-13-2015, 11:54 PM
Much as I would like AB participation none of the AB outgoing VMs have responded to repeated e-mails concerning who the ACA elected at their AGM to fill their 5 VM spots.

Jim Daniluk is one of the newly elected VMs from Alberta.