PDA

View Full Version : SwissSys 8 program error

Valer Eugen Demian
04-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Hello everyone,

It is my first crack at entering a tournament in SwissSys 8 and cannot say I am very pleased with the tutorial and/ or "Help" provided. Here is the situation:
a) I have setup a 13 players round robin
b) Players' ratings range between "unrated" to "1016". The unrated player (one only) is new.
I have managed to enter all results of the tournament but for some reason the program does not allow me to save the data. The error message I get is:
"Range check error"
The tutorial covers a Swiss tournament (not a round robin one) and the "Help" index does not say a word about such a situation...

Why do I get this error and how can I get rid of it? What am I doing wrong here? Any help will be very much appreciated!

Happy Easter everyone!

Egidijus Zeromskis
04-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Why do I get this error and how can I get rid of it? What am I doing wrong here? Any help will be very much appreciated!

Happy Easter everyone!

From D.Lavin message:
"Thad also says that he would be more than happy to receive these questions and comments directly and will deal with them personally. His email address is Thad Suits <suits@initco.net>"
http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/showthread.php?t=352

Valer Eugen Demian
04-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Vincent has already done that and Thad is looking into this bug.

I thought entering a round robin tournament in SwissSys would not be a problem at all; afterall the round robin format has been around since the early days of chess. However this is another interesting case of a product with features covering what's popular on the market and not necessarily the basics... :cool:

Kerry Liles
04-15-2009, 04:27 PM
Vincent has already done that and Thad is looking into this bug.

I thought entering a round robin tournament in SwissSys would not be a problem at all; afterall the round robin format has been around since the early days of chess. However this is another interesting case of a product with features covering what's popular on the market and not necessarily the basics... :cool:

Thanks Valer... I thought I was the only one who found entering RR results in that program was harder than it ought to be! And you are indeed correct that the help information is very close to useless.

Tony Ficzere
04-15-2009, 04:43 PM
I have found it to be a bit clumsy when entering round robins, but I was able to figure things out. I had no problems entering results, but I guess there is a bug when it comes to generating the rating reports. When submitting the round robin crosstables to the CFC, I just make sure that i mention that they are ROUND ROBIN's and not Swiss format.

David Lavin
04-15-2009, 05:01 PM
What did the author of the program, Thad Suits, say when you brought these issues to his attention?

Tony Ficzere
04-15-2009, 05:16 PM
If you are asking me, I have not contacted Thad.

Michael Barron
04-15-2009, 11:28 PM
Thad Suits said:
"Yes, SwissSys will handle round robin format."

But didn't clarify - when... :confused:

Valer Eugen Demian
04-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Do not have the original email with me here in the office, but basically it said they are looking into fixing it and release a "bug fix" for the program. Until then (whenever that may be...) I am stuck with a finished tournament I cannot submit because I did the work and do not wish to be charged the higher fee level CFC has decided upon!

Should I add that Vincent has responded more than promptly (beyond the call of duty if it gives a better idea) to my inquiry while it was Easter weekend? The CFC Executives better make sure we will receive the same treatment from whoever they have agreed to bring on board now...