PDA

View Full Version : 9. New business

Lyle Craver
05-02-2015, 12:37 AM
Items to be discussed as 'New Business' should be posted here

Ken Einarsson
05-03-2015, 01:54 PM
Would like to get an update on the charitable status standing? The information that would be appreciated would be where we are on this item, what hurdles still have to be overcome and what are the potential timelines on the options.

Ken Einarsson
05-03-2015, 02:32 PM
Another question is the status of the chess magazine? It has been late and the last edition has been the November 2014 magazine.

Vladimir Drkulec
05-03-2015, 06:29 PM
Would like to get an update on the charitable status standing? The information that would be appreciated would be where we are on this item, what hurdles still have to be overcome and what are the potential timelines on the options.

We do not have charitable status any longer. It appears that we are unlikely to get charitable status in the current environment. We have really not been pursuing charitable status as that ship has sailed. Someone who was around back when we lost charitable status might be able to shed additional light on the situation.

Lloyd Lombard
05-03-2015, 07:00 PM
I believe we discussed this at the last meeting however I don't believe anyone "took the bull by the horns" on this. To me, whether the CFC has charitable status is most irrelevant. However, I believe we have a Chess Foundation type fund where people can donate monies in the interest of chess (we should have a financial report available at each meeting). This will encourage members and supporters to donate monies to the Fund. My suggestion is that the principal always remain in the fund and that funds never be removed if it takes the Fund below the total of the principal. That way, the Fund can survive into perpetuity with the income being available for the CFC.

Michael Barron
05-03-2015, 07:54 PM
Famous GM Evgeny Bareev has recently moved to Canada.
I believe, he could help us to raise chess in this country to the new level.
As a first step, we should initiate his transfer to Chess Federation of Canada.
If we do it now, he would be able to represent Canada at Chess Olympiad 2016.

Who could contact GM Evgeny Bareev and invite him to join Chess Federation of Canada?

Vladimir Drkulec
05-03-2015, 11:36 PM
Famous GM Evgeny Bareev has recently moved to Canada.
I believe, he could help us to raise chess in this country to the new level.
As a first step, we should initiate his transfer to Chess Federation of Canada.
If we do it now, he would be able to represent Canada at Chess Olympiad 2016.

Who could contact GM Evgeny Bareev and invite him to join Chess Federation of Canada?

Since he has just moved to Canada it is my belief that the cost of transferring a player of his stature would be more than 30,000 euros or over $40,000. The cost of registering him in two years would be considerably less.

Michael Barron
05-04-2015, 11:30 PM
Since he has just moved to Canada it is my belief that the cost of transferring a player of his stature would be more than 30,000 euros or over $40,000. The cost of registering him in two years would be considerably less.

Let's look at FIDE regulations:
https://ratings.fide.com/fedchange.phtml

"Eligibility to Participate in FIDE Events Under the New Flag
In order to avoid any misinterpretation of the regulations, we would like to underline some points of the regulations for the players wishing to represent the new federation in FIDE events after the transfer:

1. a transferred player can represent the New federation in FIDE events only after the necessary period of residency unless the appropriate transfer and/or compensation fees are paid.

2. a transferred player who did not represent the former federation 5 years prior to the notification date, is eligible to represent the New Federation in one year after the Notification date Without Fee."

It means:

1. the sooner we notify FIDE of the transfer - the better,

2. if we do it this month, GM Evgeny Bareev will be eligible to represent Canada at Chess Olympiad 2016 Without Fee.

Paul Leblanc
05-05-2015, 12:44 AM
Lloyd, to address your comments, the Chess Foundation of Canada Annual Reports are submitted to the CFC for posting on the website in the same place as the financial reports (under "governors letters"). For some reason, this seems not to have happened for my 2014 report although I have sent reminders. I wrote an article for the CFC Newsletter back in January and that also disappeared into a black hole. Do I sound frustrated?
I send quarterly reports to the trustees and I could put something in for the quarterly online meetings if people felt it would be useful. Meanwhile, PM me and I'll be overjoyed to send you the 30 April 2015 report as soon it is available. BTW the Foundation lost it's charitable status at the same time as the CFC.

Hal Bond
05-05-2015, 01:19 PM
Thank you for your initiative Michael. I will be pleased to discuss this further when I return home on Thursday.

Vladimir Drkulec
05-05-2015, 04:54 PM
Another question is the status of the chess magazine? It has been late and the last edition has been the November 2014 magazine.

I just received the next issue December 2014 which comes in at 117 pages. It will go out to the members shortly.

Ken Einarsson
05-05-2015, 06:22 PM
It is good that the December edition will be coming out very shortly but this is May. The issue with the lateness of the magazine has to be addressed, otherwise we could potentially lose membership because of this. Right now our membership base is declining and needs to be addressed and we should not be adding items to further potentially enhance our declining membership base. Membership is expecting "value for money" for their memberships and we are not delivering on this deliverable. This items needs to be discussed in further detail as maybe it is time to look at other alternatives as most items are time sensitive if we do not deliver in an appropriate time frame.

Lloyd Lombard
05-05-2015, 08:07 PM
I was speaking to a member this afternoon who asked that the ability for a non-member to play in a tournament by paying a reduced "tournament fee" be re-implemented. He pointed out that this was in place several years ago where the CFC abolished the practice. His argument is primary the costs associated with playing in tournaments as a member (especially when travel, food, etc. are included). I'll have to apologize in advance as I've always maintained my membership when I was playing so never considered the "tournament fee". I also wasn't around when the this fee was abolished. Can anyone shed some light on this topic for me ?

Vladimir Drkulec
05-06-2015, 12:53 AM
I was speaking to a member this afternoon who asked that the ability for a non-member to play in a tournament by paying a reduced "tournament fee" be re-implemented. He pointed out that this was in place several years ago where the CFC abolished the practice. His argument is primary the costs associated with playing in tournaments as a member (especially when travel, food, etc. are included). I'll have to apologize in advance as I've always maintained my membership when I was playing so never considered the "tournament fee". I also wasn't around when the this fee was abolished. Can anyone shed some light on this topic for me ?

The tournament fee was not abolished but it was raised to $20 quite some time ago.

Egidijus Zeromskis
05-06-2015, 08:48 AM
It is good that the December edition will be coming out very shortly but this is May. The issue with the lateness of the magazine has to be addressed, otherwise we could potentially lose membership because of this. Right now our membership base is declining and needs to be addressed and we should not be adding items to further potentially enhance our declining membership base. Membership is expecting "value for money" for their memberships and we are not delivering on this deliverable. This items needs to be discussed in further detail as maybe it is time to look at other alternatives as most items are time sensitive if we do not deliver in an appropriate time frame.

I totally agree with this too.
The magazine is one of the largest CFC expenditure, and it should be managed accordingly.

Egidijus Zeromskis
05-06-2015, 08:57 AM
We do not have charitable status any longer. It appears that we are unlikely to get charitable status in the current environment. We have really not been pursuing charitable status as that ship has sailed.

There were talks about a athletic or recreational sports association (necessary to get proper terms) with similar status as a charitable organization. Is this path also abandon?

Vladimir Drkulec
05-06-2015, 11:58 AM
There were talks about a athletic or recreational sports association (necessary to get proper terms) with similar status as a charitable organization. Is this path also abandon?

It has not been abandoned but unless we are treated as a sport organization that receives official funding there is little benefit and some additional costs. Even when we were a charity we did not receive much in the way of charitable donations. I think that factored into the decision not to fight to keep the charitable status. I think that if we apply now being exactly what we are at the moment we would be denied.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/chrts-gvng/chrts/plcy/cps/cps-027-eng.html

For example, there is some hope but I think we have to move ourselves in the direction of providing an educational function. This is part of the reason that I would like to move forward on the online chess initiative with FIDE as it does provide a platform for training specifically aimed at FIDE's Chess in the schools initiative:

4.2 Advancement of education

This category of charitable purposes typically includes programs that train the mind and advance the knowledge and abilities of participants. Programs that include sport and clearly further an educational purpose can qualify under the advancement of education. For example, youth groups, like Guides and Scouts, where sport is one component of an overall educational program, can be charitable at law.

The courts have held that sport as part of a school curriculum or program is charitable as advancing education 8 , recognizing it as being necessary to the development of a well-balanced student. The courts have held this to be the case even when the sports activity is carried out under the auspices of, or supported by, a separate entity, but forms part of a school's educational program. 9

A school program structured in an alternative manner may qualify for registration. For example, an educational institute set up to help young athletes-in-training pursue their academic studies in the morning and undertake physical training in the afternoon might qualify, as long as the main purpose of the organization is simply to facilitate completion of academic requirements by ensuring that the athletes have access to flexible course schedules. The focus of the organization must be on meeting academic standards and requirements, with the athletic success of the student and the promotion of sport remaining incidental by-products of the program.

The courts have not recognized as charitable the selection and training of individuals with a view to developing professional athletes for a career in sport.

Every organization in Canada that is currently registered as a sporting federation has some athletic component without exception.

Lloyd Lombard
05-06-2015, 04:03 PM
Paul, do you know why the CFC Foundation lost its charitable status ?

Vladimir Drkulec
05-06-2015, 06:19 PM
Paul, do you know why the CFC Foundation lost its charitable status ?

The foundation has never been a separate legal entity. The CFC lost its charitable status because the contention of Revenue Canada was that it had originally been awarded charitable status in error.

Paul Leblanc
05-06-2015, 08:16 PM
Exactly right Vlad

Valer Eugen Demian
05-07-2015, 12:55 AM
Sorry to sound like a broken record: in my opinion the root of all problems is chess not being recognized as a sport in this country! This is where all starts no matter what we try to do, including avoiding it.

Egidijus Zeromskis
05-07-2015, 11:02 AM
The CFC lost its charitable status because the contention of Revenue Canada was that it had originally been awarded charitable status in error.

It did not loose (what would mean that the CFC did something wrong.) It was revoked with reason in your explanation (my italic).

Lyle Craver
05-07-2015, 12:01 PM
More like we were not sufficiently careful defending it in a time when the feds as a matter of policy were trying to reduce charitable status holders.

Ken Einarsson
05-08-2015, 09:40 AM
One last question, members here in Manitoba and probably in other parts of Canada would like the renewal of his/her membership to begin when they renew and not have it potentially backdated by up to 4 months when their previous membership was valid.

Vladimir Drkulec
05-08-2015, 11:20 AM
We changed that several meetings ago. The most people are backdated is a portion of a month these days - at least to my understanding.

Paul Leblanc
05-08-2015, 12:41 PM
A topical question. I was the one who moved to get rid of the 4 month backdating (Article 323 in the handbook). This was approved at the 2013 AGM. To my surprise I found a few days ago that the handbook had not been updated and the practice has been continuing. Lyle managed to find his notes from the AGM (the website version having disappeared, I hope temporarily) and we gave Bob the new text for Article 323 a couple of days ago.
Basically, if you membership has elapsed by more than a month and you renew you are treated as a new member and your new expiry date is the 1st day of the month after you renew.

Lyle Craver
05-08-2015, 03:12 PM
It should be noted that Paul's comments apply to your membership and not your rating! :)