PDA

View Full Version : Membership numbers

Bob Gillanders
04-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Sorry folks, I have been quite busy the last few months and didn't keep up on reporting the monthly membership numbers.

My last report was in GL3 where I reported a small drop to 1,908 at Nov 1/08 from a peak of 1,915 at Oct 1/08. The slide continued and has bottomed out at 1,843 at Feb 1/09. Tournament activity in december and january was light, and that is certainly a factor. Memberships have recovered slightly, we now stand at 1,856 at April 1/09.

I suspect there maybe a natural seasonal fluctuation in play here, up over the summer, and down over the winter. I hope that's true. Unfortunately, I don't have any recent historical data to confirm it.

Of course there are many reasons why memberships go up and down. The drop from last years' peak is primarily adult members. No doubt the loss of the printed magazine is a factor, since we had some seniors renewing primarily for the magazine.

The longer term trend is more positive. We are 1 month away from the May 1 numbers which have been reported each year.

May 1, 2007 = 1,763
May 1, 2008 = 1,811
May 1, 2009 = 1,856 + ??

Once we have the annual May 1st numbers, I would like to attempt an analysis of changes from 1 year ago, and report on it for the AGM.