PDA

View Full Version : Masters chess tournament in Jamaica

Michael Barron
03-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Dear Chess Friends,

I just got the following email from Ian Wilkinson, Jamaica Chess Federation President:

"For the benefit of your members and chess players in general, please note that an international chess tournament is scheduled to be held in Jamaica between March 15 and 22, 2009 (9 rounds) at which players will have the chance to earn norms as the event will be FIDE-rated. Several grandmasters and international masters are down to compete. The guaranteed first place prize is US$2,000.00 but this could be more depending on sponsorship.

An additional attraction is that a tour of the capital, Kingston, is planned for the rest day when people can visit the Bob Marley museum, Emancipation park and other popular tourist sites. The entry fee is US$50.00.

Please let me know if anyone is interested so that I can make the necessary arrangements as quickly as possible.

This coming week is exciting for us as it is the first time in Jamaica's history that we will be having a "chess week". The Masters tournament is, of course, the feature event and it is getting a fair bit of review here. The list of players include GM Alfonso Holmes (Spain - bd prize winner in 2002 Bled Olympiad), GM Roman Onna and IM Jose Vilela (Cuba) and GM-elect Amon Simutowe (Zambia) and a number of Fide Masters. The idea is to provide a tournament in the region to give persons a chance to get IM norms.

We are in a bit of a pickle as two of our invited players have immigration problems and are unlikely to make it. If any player from your federation is interested (although the notice is terrible short) that would be great. We are prepared to help with some of the expenses, especially food and accommodation.

Warmest regards,
Ian Wilkinson
President
Jamaica Chess Federation"

Please let me know if you are interested to participate.