PDA

View Full Version : Commonwealth Chess Championship

Michael Barron
03-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Dear chess friends,

I got the following invitation from Peter Long,
Organising Secretary/Tournament Director, Commonwealth Chess Championship 2009:

"Dear Friends,

On behalf of the Mr Ignatius Leong, President of the Commonwealth Chess Association, and our sponsor Masterskill University College of Health Sciences, I am pleased to invite your participation in the Commonwealth Chess Championship 2009 to be held in Ipoh, Malaysia.

Please find our invitation and prospectus attached and I will be pleased to answer any enquiries you might have to and which will facilitate your participation.

You are entitled to full board and lodging for 4 official participants (1 Open, 1 Womens, 1 Boys, 1 Girls) but all participants have to pay the entry fee and we will only consider your entry as accepted on receipt of USD 100 deposit.

Do note that Ipoh is two and a half hours from our capital city of Kuala Lumpur (KL) and we strongly advise all to come via KL so we can assist in transfers directly to the venue.

Thank you

Peter Long
Organising Secretary/Tournament Director, Commonwealth Chess Championship 2009
Executive Director, ASEAN Chess Confederation
Web Editor, FIDE.com FIDE Trainer / FIDE Arbiter"

If you're interested to participate, please let me know.

Michael Barron
03-07-2009, 12:40 AM
I got one more message from Peter Long:

"My apologies. We have moved the dates back to accomodate those who wish to participate in the British Championhsip. So the Commonwealth Championship will now be from 14-21 July 2009"

Michael Barron
04-02-2009, 10:43 PM
It became more interesting - I got the following letter from the Malaysian Chess Federation:

"From the FIDE Website, we have come to know that Malaysia is the host for the Commonwealth Chess Championship 2009. This is surprising news to us, as the Malaysian Chess Federation has not been notified officially about this.

We wish to inform FIDE and all Commonwealth Chess Federation affiliates that this Championship does not have the sanction or the endorsement from the Malaysian Chess Federation and the permission of the Commissioner of Sports Malaysia, the sole regulating authority for Sports under the Ministry of Youth & Sports Malaysia.

FIDE Statutes Chapter 2.1. states as follows:

Members of FIDE are national chess federations which have principal authority over chess activities in their own countries and which have been admitted to FIDE as member-federations, if they acknowledge the FIDE Statutes and develop activities not contrary to those statutes. Only one federation of each country can be affiliated to FIDE.

As the Malaysian Chess Federation is a member of FIDE and by virtue of FIDE Statutes, the Malaysian Chess Federation having principle authority over chess activities in Malaysia, the holding of Commonwealth Chess Championship 2009 in Malaysia without notifying and obtaining its endorsement is clearly against the FIDE statutes.

We wish to further inform FIDE and the Commonwealth Chess Federations that organizing an official International FIDE event such as the Commonwealth Chess Championship without the sanction or endorsement of the national federation is against the statues of our constitution which states categorically as follows:

The Malaysian Chess Federation Statutes Article 4.2:

The Malaysian Chess Federation is the sole authority for chess in Malaysia. All International chess events held or conducted in Malaysia must have the prior written sanction or endorsement of the Malaysian Chess Federation.

The Constitution of the Malaysian Chess Federation is approved by the Commissioner of Sports, Ministry of Youth & Sports Malaysia.

We also note that the Commonwealth Chess Association is organizing this event without informing or obtaining the endorsement from the Malaysian Chess Federation, a member of the Commonwealth Chess Association.

It must be noted that the holding of a major event such as the Commonwealth Chess Championship involves the approval of the various authorities in Malaysia.

Tan Sri Dato’ Seri DiRaja Ramli Bin Ngah Talib
President
Tel: 60 19 2008383

Copies

1. President, Commonwealth Chess Association
2. All Commonwealth Chess Federation
3. Minister of Youth and Sports
4. Commissioner of Sports, Malaysia"

So, it looks like the Commonwealth Chess Championship in Malaysia is under big question... :(