PDA

View Full Version : Webzine Improvements -- Your suggestions here

David Lavin
02-22-2009, 08:01 PM
The webzine needs to be easier to use. Any suggestions?

Bob Armstrong
02-22-2009, 11:23 PM
One thing is to get the established things working - the most active player list is static and last years, and even then, not the year end. And even the old list in the " legacy " section has just been adding the 2009 games to the old 2008 year end totals. Just a simple one to correct I'd imagine, since it has been around for a while.

Bob

roger patterson
02-23-2009, 03:34 PM
well, I don't have access any longer as I am not a CFC member, but, I would not ignore how other successful web publications operate. That is, one page with links to articles starting with the most recent. See Chessbase, Chess Cafe, or even the Globe and Mail. The site as I saw it last month required too many clicks to search content.

Egidijus Zeromskis
02-24-2009, 11:15 AM
Does the Webzine suppose to attract members or scare them?

Thus
ReDeSIGN

It is really looks premature. A plain black text on white screen would be much more better :)

What is this favicon? http://members.chess.ca/images/favicon.ico

The last time I checked I have not seen promised K.Spraggett's report, while meantime he managed to wrote several blogs entries. :confused:

Why "Top_players" has a "_"?

Featured games presented in the different format.

Go to Lastest Updates >> Calendar , and get ONTARIO calendar, however BC and NS have normal titles (e.g., "Nova Scotia Calendar of Events")

etc

Bob Armstrong
02-25-2009, 07:22 AM
Hi David:

Vincent upgraded the " tournaments/events " index of the webzine when he added a " calendar ". But I think more can be done.

The list prominently features on the left, the date the tournament notice was filed. This information is irrelevant as far as I can tell. It needn't be there at all. What is important is the list of tournament dates. These should be listed chronologically. I have sent Vincent a sample of the Banff Centre for the Arts " Events " tab on their website. It looks like this:

What’s On
Complete events calendar

February 25 – Wednesday

Midweek Medley 4:30 p.m.

February 26 – Thursday

Photography in High Places: The Work of Bradford Washburn Artist Talk 7:30 p.m.

February 27 – Friday

Concert Night Out 7:30 p.m.

February 28 – Saturday

Ailey II 8 p.m.

March 01 – Sunday

Canmore Sundays 2:30 p.m.

March 02 – Monday

Lessons from the Art of Juggling 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Reel Time Film Screening: Lemon Tree 7 p.m.

March 04 – Wednesday

March 06 – Friday

March 09 – Monday

Exploring Sound 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.

March 11 – Wednesday

March 13 – Friday

March 14 – Saturday

ProArteDanza 8 p.m.

March 15 – Sunday

Canmore Sundays 2:30 p.m.

A chronological list by tournament date makes most sense, is neat and clean, and makes it easy to find something if you looking for a tournament on a specific date.

Also, Vincent has put the " Calendar " link right into the list of tournaments. As the list grows longer, people will miss it in the list, and not realize there is a calendar. You can see the Banff tab puts the " Calendar " link front and centre at the top of the month's activities, where it is obvious ( I've bolded it ).

Finally, and I'm not sure how important this is, the Banff calendar stretches down to accomodate information, not sideways - http://www.banffcentre.ca/events/calendar/. I think personally it looks better. And as well, the calendar does not put the tournament into each day it is on - it just puts the dates in the first calendar day of the tournament - it seems more logical to me to put the notice in all 2 or 3 days of the calendar that the tournament is on ( this is what is done on the ChessTalk calendar and the CFC Chess Forum calendar ).

My 2 cents worth.

Bob

Egidijus Zeromskis
02-25-2009, 10:54 PM
for "Create a new blog entry"
+ possibility to add a chess diagram with FEN
+ possibility insert playable PGN
+ upload a picture from a personal computer (maybe it is implemented but it does not work easily.)

Egidijus Zeromskis
04-03-2009, 09:18 AM
The editor used for blogs: the HTML version should not delete [ENTER] or [NEW LINE] when the entry is edited.
i.e., The code
[td]asdas[/td
[td]asdas[/td
[td]asdas[/td
[td]asdas[/td
[td]asdas[/td

should not become later

[td]asdas[/td [td]asdas[/td [td]asdas[/td [td]asdas[/td [td]asdas[/td

Such approach creates nightmares when it is necessary to correct a text.

Q: What does the editor do for the Webzine? (i.e., his responsibilities)