PDA

View Full Version : Where Have All the Governors Gone, Long Time Passing?.....

Bob Armstrong
08-25-2008, 11:22 PM
It has now been one month since the new CFC Executive got elected at the Incoming Governors' AGM on July 22.

Since then we have been presented with no plan of action on CFC 's problems. One post indicated that the new Executive had the governors working on some urgent motions ( so urgent, amendments were being ruled out of order, by the Chair, President David Lavin ). But other than that, the Executive/Governors have said nothing to the membership. It appears the governors have been sworn to confidentiality on these items. That is why we have not heard a peep out of any governor on this board. It may be that this is all necessary, but it is leaving a vaccuum of communication with the members. CFC had $ 5,000 in the bank at the time of the AGM, and we are being told effectively to just trust the governors - they are working on it. Well...OK I guess.

But might we be advised when we might expect the first Governors' Letter, which I assume will then explain to us what has ( or has not ) been accomplished?

Bob

Kerry Liles
08-26-2008, 09:16 AM

But might we be advised when we might expect the first Governors' Letter, which I assume will then explain to us what has ( or has not ) been accomplished?
Bob

GL#1 has been delivered to the Governors (yesterday afternoon, Eastern time) and I presume will be made available very shortly on the CFC website...

Bob Armstrong
08-26-2008, 09:49 AM
nnnnnn/ttttt ( due to need for minimum characters ) !

Bob

Bob Armstrong
08-27-2008, 02:02 PM
Posted by Ken Craft on the Old ChessTalk on August 27, 2008, 10:27:42, in reply to "Re: I can't visit chesstalk.info"
CFC Governor New Brunswick

If its [ GL # 1 ] not up by Friday, I'll send it to those who are interested.

Ken Craft
08-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Geez, Bob. You're becoming my one man fan club.:)

Bob Armstrong
08-27-2008, 03:12 PM
Hi Ken:

Well...your fan club would be delighted :D if you would bring that motion !:

" CFC will have a " public read only " private governors' forum for all normal CFC business, and a second " confidential " private governors' forum for those occasions where confidentiality is warranted, before going public. " :)

What do you say?? Sounds nice don't you think? Chris will be pleased !!

Bob

Ken Craft
08-27-2008, 03:36 PM
Don't you have any Ontario Governors who would sponsor this motion for you?

Bob Armstrong
08-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Hi Ken:

I'm busy conscripting them for the next set of Grassroots' Campaign motions ! I can't overwork them. I'm pleading for help from the east on this one !!

Bob

Ken Craft
08-27-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm not in the habit of moving motions that I believe will fail. If you can get the Onatrio Governors onside, the motion will probably be clear sailing.

I think events are overtaking your grassroots proposals.

Bob Armstrong
08-27-2008, 04:47 PM
I think events are overtaking your grassroots proposals.

Hi Ken:

The Grassroots' Campaign has held off on its projected " Phase Two " of its campaign, specifically to see if the Governors, with a new Executive, can take now the initial steps necessary to get CFC back in the black.

You've read the GL # 1, so I'll give your opinion some due weight. When we see it, we will determine whether " events have overtaken us ". We hope they will have !

Bob

Bob Armstrong
08-27-2008, 05:01 PM
LIMITATION OF RIGHTS ( from By-Law # 1 of the CFC ):(

14. No individual Member shall have any right to be heard on any matter pertaining to the affairs of the Federation, or his individual membership. Should any individual member be aggrieved by any matter arising in the conduct of the affairs of the Federation, his remedy shall be to bring the matter before his provincial organization, and if there be no Provincial Organization in the Province in which he resides, he may bring the matter to the attention of a Governor representing such Province. Any complaints or suggestions of any individual Member shall be sufficiently dealt with by the Federation Secretary, if he shall reply to such individual Member quoting this By-law.

This section means I cannot bring a motion on my own behalf before the Governors. I am required to find a sympathetic Governor who will move my motion for me, and a second one to second the motion.

I have a motion I would like to bring. It is as follows:

" Motion - CFC will have a " public read only " private governors' forum for all normal CFC business, and a second " confidential " private governors' forum for those occasions where confidentiality is warranted, before going public. "

I would respectfully call upon 2 governors to come forward and bring this motion on my behalf. I hope :D that making a plea on the CFC 's own board would be a reasonable way to seek out 2 sympathetic governors.

Thanks.

Bob

Please post here if you are willing to undertake this mission. You need not self-destruct thereafter. If you want to discuss this privately, my e-mail is bobarm@sympatico.ca