View Full Version : 5. Executive Reports

Lyle Craver
03-31-2013, 03:59 PM
Executive Reports go here

Mark S. Dutton, I.A.
04-01-2013, 10:51 AM
REPORT FROM THE PRESIDENT - April 1, 2013

Dear Governors:

I have simply copied the report I made at the President's Welcome thread. We start the clock on the last round of our GPO in 2 hours time!

It has been an extremely busy period for your CFC Executive Board.

As most of you are aware by now, our previous president Michael von Keitz resigned in February and I took over the job on an interim basis until the next AGM.

Bob Gillanders has also left the Executive as Past President and Michael declined that position so it remains vacant.

We currently have an Executive of the 5 remaining members and I have been working very closely with Fred McKim, Hal Bond, Lyle Craver and Patrick McDonald.

The CFC recently handled 3 RFPS in March and we have had some very successful arrangements come out of these RFPs.

1. CFC Executive Director appointed

Michael Von Keitz was the unanimous selection of the Executive Director selection committee. He assumes his duties on May 1. The Executive members on the committee offered to abstain on the final vote, but the result would have been exactly the same. The Committee consisted of Govenors Hal Bond, Vlad Drkulec, Felix Dumont, Mark Dutton, and Paul LeBlanc. I acted as non-voting facilitator.

There were four other bids considered. The Committee was pleased with the quality of all bids submitted and while each could have been acceptable, feel confident they've selected the strongest applicant. In keeping with common business practice they will not be revealing the names of the other applicants.

2. CCN Editor Appointed

John Upper has been appointed the newest editor of Canadian Chess News. John will commence his responsibilities on May 1, 2013, preparing for the June newsletter and also providing a daily newsfeed on the CFC website. The CFC Newsletter Editor Selection Committee consisted of Governors: Mark Dutton, Ken Einarsson, and David Steer. The final round vote was a unanimous decision. There were 4 other bids submitted.

3. CFC Book & Equipment Supplier announced

The Selection Committee for the Book&Equipment Contract received a single application. They gave their unanimous recommendation for CMA to become the "Official CFC Supplier of Chess Books & Equipment" to the Executive, who ratified the contract. The following CFC Governors were on the committee: Bob Armstrong, Hal Bond, and Mark Dutton. I acted as non-voting facilitator.

The CFC will receive $8,000 per year for this deal, and takes us out of the sales business for the extent of the three year contract. This contract will allow the Executive Director to spend more time administrating and updating the Web Site. The contract will begin on May 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So with the above appointments - all effective May 1, 2013 we are 30 days away from a new "team" moving forward into our next fiscal year 2013-2014.

As our year end is coming up - we will need to get the Financial Statements prepared for our next AGM.

Hal Bond and I were presenting a motion (which has been withdrawn) about setting an earlier AGM.

For this year only I am asking that we move the meeting date for the online AGM to run from Monday, June 10 to Sunday, June 16, 2013

If we require the additional 7 days (that is allowed for AGMs) we would be finished by the 23rd of June.

I see that our Foundation under Paul Leblanc's excellent management will be OK with this and I have already requested that our new Executive Director have financial statements for year end review by May 14th.

Hope my suggested dates work for all Governors. If I don't hear any major objections, we can proceed with that timing. This would also be a good time to consider the "make-up" of the next Executive as we have lost Michael, Bob and we have already heard that Patrick McDonald will not be returning as Youth Coordinator. Lots to think about -- interested in serving the Executive and our membership -- then this is a good time to consider running and developing a platform for the "election".

If there is an issue or further debate on the date of the meeting- we can finalize this at our Online meeting scheduled right here - for the first week of April 2013.

Here is BC - things are quite frantic as I am the Tournament Director of the Grand Pacific Open (BC's largest tournament) which is finishing up here in Victoria today!

We have also voted out the HST here in BC which will require us to return to the previous system of PST and GST.

The CYCC this year has had some "loophole seekers" finding ways to circumvent our Handbook and rules in attempts to not pay or register their YCC qualifiers>

We definitely need to address filling in all those loopholes and get the provinces back on track (especially here in BC with the BCJC attempting to dis-affiliate and yet still saying they are in charge of qualifying players to the CYCC and do not need to have rated or registered YCCs because the rules don't say they have to. Perhaps our Secretary Lyle Crave (also on the BCCF Board of Directors) will be able to expand on these issues.

As I must rush out to start the last round of our FIDE event here today (7th GPO), I will wrap this mini report up and look forward to some productive discussions to move our Federation forward.

Best regards to all - and have a good online meeting.

Mark S. Dutton,
I.A., I.O.
CFC President

Patrick McDonald
04-03-2013, 01:19 PM
I do not have a lot to report on at this point.
Our President Mark has already commented on the issue of the continual tendency to attempt to sidestep rules and try to find loopholes that in the end are more detrimental to promoting chess - in this case youth chess - in Canada.
Mark has also noted that I do not expect to be running for re-election to my current post of Youth Coordinator for the 2013/2014 year. I have found that I have not been able to give the portfolio the attention it should have as a result of an escalating responsibility at my "day job".
I will say that had it not been for the dedication of both Michael von Keitz our just retired president and Andrew Giblon the Head of Delegation for our youth team that went to the 2012 World Youth Chess Championship, we would have been much worse off and I would have had a LOT more work on this portfolio. Thank you both for your dedication and support for Youth Chess in Canada.
I would like to take this time to invite anyone that may have an interest in the CFC executive position of Youth Coordinator to email me with questions about the position and let me know of your interest. I would very much like to see someone come into this position with eyes wide open and full of ideas and energy to carry forward in supporting youth chess in Canada!

Mark S. Dutton, I.A.
04-04-2013, 11:30 AM
Executive Reports go here

I have contacted Hal Bond and asked him to weigh in at this meeting when he gets a few spare moments between tournaments this week.

In the meantime I saw this post on the FIDE website and wanted to let the Governors know how many "licenced" officials (http://arbiters.fide.com/images/stories/downloads/2013/List_of_Licensed_Arbiters.pdf) we now have in Canada to handle FIDE rated events:

CAN 2601699 Bond, Hal IA A
CAN 2616785 Boutin, Jean‐Roger NA
CAN 2601648 Daniluk, Jim NA
CAN 2611031 Denommee, Pierre IA D
CAN 2611040 Dutton, Mark S. IA D
CAN 2611058 Marghetis, Aris IA D
CAN 2611082 McDonald, Patrick IA D
CAN 2603136 Palsson, Halldor-Peter NA
CAN 2606232 Rekhson, Vlad IA D
CAN 2617781 Tariq, Atheer Jawad NA
CAN 2602369 Wright, Stephen FA D

FYI -- here is the latest update (http://arbiters.fide.com/):

List of Licensed Arbiters
Tuesday, 01 January 2013 20:54

The FIDE Arbiters' Commission publishes the list of licensed arbiters so far.

The procedure of acquiring the license will continue. The non-licensed arbiters should contact their respective federations in order to obtain the license.

You can see the list here (http://arbiters.fide.com/images/stories/downloads/2013/List_of_Licensed_Arbiters.pdf) (updated 04-04-2013).

After FIDE Treasurer's decision, the Arbiters' names of non-service Federations will not be published, until these Federations pay their overdue FIDE arrears.

The FIDE Arbiters’ Commission intends to supply the Arbiters who will get the Arbiters’ license with identification cards that will indicate that they are licensed.

For this purpose all the Arbiters who wish to get their license are kindly requested to send to their Federation a good quality photo (250X300) to be included in the card.
Each Federation with licenced Arbiters should collect and send these photos to FIDE ( mariaoiko89@gmail.com).

The main change because of the new regulations (http://arbiters.fide.com/images/stories/downloads/2012/Licence_for_Arbiters.doc) will be that from 01.01.2013, in order a tournament to be rated, all its Arbiters (IA, FA, National Arbiters) must be licensed. http://arbiters.fide.com/

A tournament with non-licensed Arbiters will not be rated.

Edward Porper
04-04-2013, 11:59 AM
I have passed a test and become a National Arbiter - and alreadt TDed a tournament (AYCC) in that capacity.
This fact is actually registered in my personal card on the FIDE website.
I am confused as to why I am not on the official list - and what I should do to get it fixed?

Thanx,

Edward Porper

Pierre Dénommée
04-04-2013, 12:18 PM
In order to be licensed, all arbiters must pay the licensing fee.

I have passed a test and become a National Arbiter - and alreadt TDed a tournament (AYCC) in that capacity.
This fact is actually registered in my personal card on the FIDE website.
I am confused as to why I am not on the official list - and what I should do to get it fixed?

Thanx,

Edward Porper

Edward Porper
04-04-2013, 12:22 PM
It has been paid by the ACA.

Félix Dumont
04-04-2013, 02:37 PM
I have contacted Hal Bond and asked him to weigh in at this meeting when he gets a few spare moments between tournaments this week.

In the meantime I saw this post on the FIDE website and wanted to let the Governors know how many "licenced" officials (http://arbiters.fide.com/images/stories/downloads/2013/List_of_Licensed_Arbiters.pdf) we now have in Canada to handle FIDE rated events:

CAN 2601699 Bond, Hal IA A
CAN 2616785 Boutin, Jean‐Roger NA
CAN 2601648 Daniluk, Jim NA
CAN 2611031 Denommee, Pierre IA D
CAN 2611040 Dutton, Mark S. IA D
CAN 2611058 Marghetis, Aris IA D
CAN 2611082 McDonald, Patrick IA D
CAN 2603136 Palsson, Halldor-Peter NA
CAN 2606232 Rekhson, Vlad IA D
CAN 2617781 Tariq, Atheer Jawad NA
CAN 2602369 Wright, Stephen FA D

FYI -- here is the latest update (http://arbiters.fide.com/):

List of Licensed Arbiters
Tuesday, 01 January 2013 20:54

The FIDE Arbiters' Commission publishes the list of licensed arbiters so far.

The procedure of acquiring the license will continue. The non-licensed arbiters should contact their respective federations in order to obtain the license.

You can see the list here (http://arbiters.fide.com/images/stories/downloads/2013/List_of_Licensed_Arbiters.pdf) (updated 04-04-2013).

After FIDE Treasurer's decision, the Arbiters' names of non-service Federations will not be published, until these Federations pay their overdue FIDE arrears.

The FIDE Arbiters’ Commission intends to supply the Arbiters who will get the Arbiters’ license with identification cards that will indicate that they are licensed.

For this purpose all the Arbiters who wish to get their license are kindly requested to send to their Federation a good quality photo (250X300) to be included in the card.
Each Federation with licenced Arbiters should collect and send these photos to FIDE ( mariaoiko89@gmail.com).

The main change because of the new regulations (http://arbiters.fide.com/images/stories/downloads/2012/Licence_for_Arbiters.doc) will be that from 01.01.2013, in order a tournament to be rated, all its Arbiters (IA, FA, National Arbiters) must be licensed. http://arbiters.fide.com/

I paid my license fees for the NTD title (and my name is present on the CFC website). Will this appear on the FIDE website (as it is necessary to organize FIDE rated events)? Also, I do not see Bernard Ouimet name on the list, but he has applied a long time ago.

Fred McKim
04-04-2013, 02:48 PM
I paid my license fees for the NTD title (and my name is present on the CFC website). Will this appear on the FIDE website (as it is necessary to organize FIDE rated events)? Also, I do not see Bernard Ouimet name on the list, but he has applied a long time ago.

I would contact the business office and copy Hal.

Félix Dumont
04-04-2013, 03:51 PM
I would contact the business office and copy Hal.

Is the business still running? I get no answer.

EDIT: Nevermind :) I just realized one of my requests had been processed (for a tournament)... Gerry just didn't email me back I guess.

Fred McKim
04-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Is the business still running? I get no answer.

EDIT: Nevermind :) I just realized one of my requests had been processed (for a tournament)... Gerry just didn't email me back I guess.

Gerry continues as Executive Director until April 30. He will get back to you.

Aris Marghetis
04-04-2013, 06:12 PM

ALL its Arbiters?!

Pierre Dénommée
04-04-2013, 08:24 PM
Yes, all its arbiters!