PDA

View Full Version : VOTING BOOTH: 9B) Ratification of CFC Newsletter Committee Report - Part 2

Michael von Keitz
01-04-2013, 10:22 PM
Please vote in the poll above. NOTE: should the report be rejected, we will continue with the status quo. This question applies in the event of its passage. Ballots will remain sealed on this question.

Kevin Pacey
01-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Now that current CCN editor Edward Porper is a CFC Officer and signed in as a Governor, for the sake of clarity I would like to ask if he has a valid vote in this particular poll.

Vlad Rekhson
01-06-2013, 05:51 PM
Now that current CCN editor Edward Porper is a CFC Officer and signed in as a Governor, for the sake of clarity I would like to ask if he has a valid vote in this particular poll.

That would probably be conflict of interest, so it should be "no"?

Bob Armstrong
01-06-2013, 11:11 PM

I'm afraid I must be falling behind:

1. What " officer " position does he hold?
2. Is he now an Alberta Governor? Did he replace someone?

Thanks.

Bob

Fred McKim
01-07-2013, 08:25 AM
I'm afraid I must be falling behind:

1. What " officer " position does he hold?
2. Is he now an Alberta Governor? Did he replace someone?

Thanks.

Bob

He was elected Fund-Raising co-ordinator earlier in the meeting

Michael von Keitz
01-07-2013, 09:34 AM
That would probably be conflict of interest, so it should be "no"?

Given that Edward is new to this, he may have mistakenly voted in the poll. I have asked him to clarify. Worst case, if we are dealing with a margin of 1 vote or a tie, we can scrutinize the ballots.

Bob Armstrong
01-07-2013, 11:00 AM
Duh .... right...sometimes wonder where my head is at!!

Edward Porper
01-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Given that Edward is new to this, he may have mistakenly voted in the poll. I have asked him to clarify. Worst case, if we are dealing with a margin of 1 vote or a tie, we can scrutinize the ballots.

I did vote in the poll as I didn't think/realize I wasn't supposed to. To the best of my knowledge, politicians are allowed to vote in elections that also concern themselves, to give but one example.
The system accepted my vote as well.
Obviously, I didn't mean to cheat...

Egidijus Zeromskis
01-07-2013, 11:38 AM
I'll leave to a chair to enforce the Handbook:

15. CONFLICT OF INTEREST

Whenever a proposal is being considered which puts any CFC officer in a potential conflict of interest he shall declare the conflict and abstain from discussion, voting or other involvement in the matter.

Though an Editor may be not a true officer.

Fred McKim
01-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Obviously somebody can vote for themselves in a political election.

In this case now that Edward is an officer (Fund Raising Officer) he falls under the conflict of interest rule. Nothing is simple. He has openly admitted to voting for himself, saving Lyle the trouble of looking through these while the election is in progress. We can subtract one from the YES side, unless Lyle comes on and tells us he has adjusted it.

Edward Porper
01-07-2013, 12:22 PM

In this case now that Edward is an officer (Fund Raising Officer) he falls under the conflict of interest rule. Nothing is simple. He has openly admitted to voting for himself, saving Lyle the trouble of looking through these while the election is in progress. We can subtract one from the YES side, unless Lyle comes on and tells us he has adjusted it.

It goes without saying that I would abide by the rules but I must admit to failing to see a difference: aren't politicians public officers as well?
Why aren't CFC officers allowed to do something public officers in politics are morally and legally entitled to?

Michael von Keitz
01-07-2013, 12:27 PM

The situation is as Fred has stated. I believe the tally currently reflects the inclusion of Edward's vote. I will confer with Lyle when voting closes this evening, prior to the release of results, to confirm where we stand.

Michael von Keitz
01-07-2013, 12:35 PM
It goes without saying that I would abide by the rules but I must admit to failing to see a difference: aren't politicians public officers as well?
Why aren't CFC officers allowed to do something public officers in politics are morally and legally entitled to?

Essentially, it can be construed as using your position in an attempt to unfairly derive a financial benefit. Under such circumstances, whether required or not, it is always best to abstain from voting and, ideally, refrain from influencing any discussion on the decision.

Edward Porper
01-07-2013, 12:48 PM
Essentially, it can be construed as using your position in an attempt to unfairly derive a financial benefit. Under such circumstances, whether required or not, it is always best to abstain from voting and, ideally, refrain from influencing any discussion on the decision.

OK, understood.

Bob Gillanders
01-07-2013, 01:06 PM
OK, understood.

Edward, you will find this story amusing.

Back during my presidency, I was casting my vote as I had assumed was my right. Nobody said anything.
Then I happened to be reading the handbook on an unrelated topic, and discovered to my astonishment, the CFC President does not have the right to vote at quarterly meetings. Surprise, surprise.

I alerted the Governors by posing the question: Should the President be allowed to vote?
The initial reaction was "of course". But then, somebody actually went to the rulebook and discovered what I had. Next, I was lambasted for having voted up to then. Of course, I immediately stopped voting. Hilarious, eh!

Edward Porper
01-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Edward, you will find this story amusing.

Back during my presidency, I was casting my vote as I had assumed was my right. Nobody said anything.
Then I happened to be reading the handbook on an unrelated topic, and discovered to my astonishment, the CFC President does not have the right to vote at quarterly meetings. Surprise, surprise.

I alerted the Governors by posing the question: Should the President be allowed to vote?
The initial reaction was "of course". But then, somebody actually went to the rulebook and discovered what I had. Next, I was lambasted for having voted up to then. Of course, I immediately stopped voting. Hilarious, eh!

Well put, Robert - "hilarious" is indeed the word!

Fred McKim
01-07-2013, 05:03 PM
The Editor position is not part of the CFC Political / Governance system.

Michael von Keitz
01-07-2013, 05:26 PM
The Editor position is not part of the CFC Political / Governance system.

I don't think anyone made that claim. Edward now holds the position of Fundraising Officer, however, which is part of that system.

Fred McKim
01-07-2013, 06:12 PM
I don't think anyone made that claim. Edward now holds the position of Fundraising Officer, however, which is part of that system.

Yes. That is the entire point. As an officer of the CFC one would have to abstain if applying for a staff position. While it has the feel of an election, it is an actual contract we're deciding on. I would think that even a regular governor would have to abstain if trying to enter into a paid contract with the CFC.

Michael von Keitz
01-07-2013, 06:16 PM
Yes. That is the entire point. As an officer of the CFC one would have to abstain if applying for a staff position. While it has the feel of an election, it is an actual contract we're deciding on. I would think that even a regular governor would have to abstain if trying to enter into a paid contract with the CFC.

In that case, I guess I just don't see what point you are addressing. This seems to be the essence of what was already discussed.