PDA

View Full Version : 6b. CFC Club Coordinator's Report

Michael von Keitz
09-30-2012, 05:57 PM
CFC Club Coordinator Report here.

Kevin Pacey
10-01-2012, 04:44 PM
On 3 September 2012 I received an email from the President, offering to me a (non-CFC officer) volunteer position, to be known as 'CFC Club Coordinator', which had a mandate that I had previously suggested to him. I accepted this new position. The mandate for it involved a preliminary step of identifying Canadian clubs listed on the CFC website that no longer had valid email addresses for their contact persons. As I had already emailed clubs last June (in my efforts as part of the now disbanded CFC Membership Drive Committee), I already knew of a number of invalid club contact email addresses, and I passed these on to the President.

A second part of the mandate for this new Club Coordinator position was to try to increase the number of Canadian clubs listed on the CFC website under 'Clubs'. A previous attempt to do this last term (by a non-Governor volunteer), based on contacting municipalities across Canada, had proven to be somewhat unfruitful, and so I suggested that the search effort for unlisted clubs be more modest (if not more practical), in that I would first of all ask on Canadian chess message boards in September for tips concerning any clubs currently not listed. Besides that, I would private message or email Canadian organizers, Canadian clubs listed already, or Canadian chess instructors listed on the CFC's website.

After I did all the above, one tip I received was that Provincial Associations' websites sometimes had listed clubs that were not directly listed on the CFC website (i.e. under 'Clubs'). Following the initial flurry of tips I received, I passed on the results, again to the President (there must have been at least a dozen clubs to add to our listings of clubs, so far, if one counts what I noticed on Provincial Associations' websites).

Finally, a third part of the mandate (and in my view potentially the most important part) is for the Club Coordinator to in future contact Canadian clubs by email from time to time, to provide them with information that the Club Coordinator might wish to impart on behalf of the CFC, ideally starting with news of a rejuvenated affiliate program (the details of the old one that has fallen into disuse are found in Section 21 of the CFC Handbook). Hence the President suggested my trying to come up with a motion for such a rejuvenated program, and hence Motion 2013-C Affiliate Program Revamp (Pacey/Palsson) is on the agenda for this meeting.

Note that the last (third) part of the mandate, for the non-officer Club Coordinator position, might be viewed as falling within the duties of the Public Relations Coordinator, but in past years, in practice, systematically contacting Canadian clubs is apparently something that has normally fallen through the cracks for the CFC, possibly due to time constraints. In any case, the current PR Coordinator (Bob Armstrong) and I have agreed to try to ensure that there won't be an overlap of effort resulting from the execution of either of our respective duties in practice.

CFC Club Coordinator Kevin Pacey
Ottawa

Fred McKim
10-02-2012, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the great work Kevin.

Ken Craft
10-02-2012, 09:10 AM
I echo Fred's comments. Well done, Kevin.

Pierre Dénommée
10-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Nice work Kevin!

In Quebec, some clubs did ask to remain unlisted on the FQE web site. Most those clubs consist of very weak players that do not want to see a 1600 "professional" comes and break their fun. The FQE web site has a list of Quebec clubs.

Kevin Pacey
10-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Thanks guys. We'll see what develops in the future. :)

Marcus Wilker
10-03-2012, 08:59 PM

Finally, a third part of the mandate (and in my view potentially the most important part) is for the Club Coordinator to in future contact Canadian clubs by email from time to time, to provide them with information that the Club Coordinator might wish to impart on behalf of the CFC, ideally starting with news of a rejuvenated affiliate program (the details of the old one that has fallen into disuse are found in Section 21 of the CFC Handbook). Hence the President suggested my trying to come up with a motion for such a rejuvenated program, and hence Motion 2013-C Affiliate Program Revamp (Pacey/Palsson) is on the agenda for this meeting.

CFC Club Coordinator Kevin Pacey
Ottawa

That would be great!

Kevin Pacey
10-04-2012, 01:06 PM
I previously posted the following as part of my report:

"A second part of the mandate for this new Club Coordinator position was to try to increase the number of Canadian clubs listed on the CFC website under 'Clubs'. A previous attempt to do this last term (by a non-Governor volunteer), based on contacting municipalities across Canada, had proven to be somewhat unfruitful ..."

I checked my email a minute ago, and the CFC President informed me he has learned that the non-Governor volunteer I refered to (John R. Brown) has not abandoned his efforts to locate more unlisted Canadian Clubs by contacting municipalities. Hence the President prefers to have Mr. Brown's non-CFC officer volunteer position to be known as 'Club Coordinator', i.e. that position's mandate is purely to locate more Canadian clubs to be listed for the CFC website.

My own non-CFC officer volunteer position, as described earlier in my report, will be known from now on instead as 'Clubs Administrator', but it will in future concentrate on the first and third parts of the three part mandate I described in my report. For me, this isn't a problem to go along with, as I didn't publicly refer to myself as club coordinator until this meeting.