PDA

View Full Version : 6a. Public Relations Coordinator's Report

Michael von Keitz
09-30-2012, 05:57 PM
Public Relations Coordinator Report here.

Bob Armstrong
10-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Item 6a –Public Relations Coordinator Report ( Non-Executive Officer ) - Bob Armstrong .

Bylaw 3 of the CFC Handbook, under Duties of Officers in Section 8C, gives the mandate of the Public Relations Coordinator position ( created at the 2010 AGM ) as:

“ 8C. The Public Relations Coordinator will be responsible for promoting the image of the CFC and for promoting chess generally to the public. As such the Public Relations Coordinator will, among other things:

- deal with mainstream media to promote significant chess news, such as Canadian Chess Champions, a new Canadian GM, major tournaments like the Can. Closed, Canadian Open, Can. Women’s Closed, CYCC, etc., the various benefits accruing from playing chess and other positive aspects of the chess culture. “

Here is the update on activity since the 2012 AGM ( July/12 ):

1. “ News “ Items ( on the CFC Website Homepage under “ Latest News “[copies on the CFC “ News “ Discussion Forum, Facebook, and Twitter ] ) – Posted 42 news items ( from July 1 to and including October 1 – average of more than 3 news posts per week ).

2. Press Releases: issued 1: press releases must be about specific, significant events, generally involving the personal information on a player who has made a significant achievement, in order to get any chance at coverage. I issued one after the Canadian Closed & Women’s Closed ( Aug. 4-11 ), about GM Bator Sambuev and WIM Natalia Khoudgarian successfully defending their Canadian Champion titles. I did not receive any response, nor did Bator nor Natalia, to my knowledge.

3. Media Contacts: Have talked on the phone with a number of journalists ( on-line & print ), and some TV producers, to provide background info and referrals to noted Canadian chess players.

4. Discussion Boards: posted numbers of times on the members’ CFC Chess Chat Forum, and the CMA ChessTalk, answering CFC issues raised.

5. New Media Links: I have been provided by members with media links across the country, and will slowly be integrating them into the CFC Media E-mail Groups as time permits.

6. CFC Facebook Non-Profit Corporation Page: have continued incremental building of the site - grew from 139 “ Likes “ at July 1 to 151 as of Oct. 1. The majority of “ likes “ are not CFC tournament players, and many are not CFC members. We are reaching out in the social media to the non-CFC chess-playing public. We also have some players from other countries as “ likes “, who now follow Canadian chess.