PDA

View Full Version : 5d. Treasurer's Report

Michael von Keitz
09-30-2012, 05:54 PM
Treasurer Report here.

Fred McKim
10-02-2012, 07:18 AM
I wanted to bring up a problem that seems to be growing in the office. Incomplete tournament reports - it seems more than one organizer across the country feel it's appropriate to submit simply a rating report to the office and expect it to be rated without a reckoning on the CFC fees owing.

Be advised that it is the responsibility of the tournament organizer to ensure that each participant in the tournament is a CFC member for the duration of the tournament and submit this amount with the rating report. Those that are not may only participate if they pay the organizer the appropriate CFC membership or purchase a tournament playing fee.

Events will no longer be accepted by repeat offenders. We are not in the business of having our tournament organizers as having accounts payable with us.

Pierre Dénommée
10-02-2012, 02:03 PM
If the problem becomes too serious, we could have a rule that arbiters are not allowed to pair non-members. Such a rule is hardly an innovation because it has been used in many countries but I understand that some clubs would be disturbed by this rule.

Halldor P. Palsson
10-03-2012, 12:39 AM
I run a fair number of tournaments at a CFC membership required chess club. We are usually 2-4 memberships behind. We chase players to join and renew with the CFC but our tournaments typically last 5-7 weeks. If I miss sombody I do not want to be charged $20 per player.

In practical terms the file you download from the CFC is not always up to date and players tell you during the tournament that they have renewed and by the way they did not bring the receipt so there is some scope for error here. This is what happens on the ground.

Let us get religion on this issue and drive a bunch of guys out of TD-ing.

Vladimir Drkulec
10-03-2012, 01:38 AM
What is the situation with the 2012 CYCC CFC memberships? I have been encouraging parents to renew their CFC membership when asked about it. Apparently even parents who wanted to renew the CFC memberships for their kids were told by the organizer that it was absolutely not necessary to do so. An email was sent by the CFC office indicating that a renewal was required and within minutes the organizer sent an email contradicting that request. I am not in contact with all the Windsor CYCC participants and it is quite possible that some of them have not paid their membership in light of the mixed messages that they received. If half of the kids have not renewed that still puts a significant dent in membership revenues.

Christopher Mallon
10-03-2012, 06:28 AM
An email was sent by the CFC office indicating that a renewal was required and within minutes the organizer sent an email contradicting that request.

I may have a very large concern with this part. Are you saying that the CFC office sent out an email to the participants which the organizer then contradicted?

Hal Bond
10-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Yes Chris - that is precisely what happened. Our handbook was on the organizer's side, despite years of practice to the contrary.

Vladimir Drkulec
10-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Yes Chris - that is precisely what happened. Our handbook was on the organizer's side, despite years of practice to the contrary.

I could have sworn that I saw regulations quoted in the past which indicated that CFC membership was required for CYCC. Was it a case that the handbook was not properly updated?

If the kids that played in CYCC don't have to be members that puts about a $5,000 to $6,000 hole in the CFC budget.

Egidijus Zeromskis
10-03-2012, 01:54 PM
If the kids that played in CYCC don't have to be members that puts about a $5,000 to $6,000 hole in the CFC budget.

Sound like a loophole with a temporary solution to rate FIDE, what would require a membership even for kids.
I vaguely remember that a membership for Championships is a must.

Christopher Mallon
10-03-2012, 04:45 PM

Sounds more like an accidental deletion from the online handbook. I specifically remember there being a rule instituted in the last ten years regarding memberships being needed for national championships.

Marcus Wilker
10-03-2012, 09:24 PM
I wanted to bring up a problem that seems to be growing in the office. Incomplete tournament reports - it seems more than one organizer across the country feel it's appropriate to submit simply a rating report to the office and expect it to be rated without a reckoning on the CFC fees owing.

Be advised that it is the responsibility of the tournament organizer to ensure that each participant in the tournament is a CFC member for the duration of the tournament and submit this amount with the rating report. Those that are not may only participate if they pay the organizer the appropriate CFC membership or purchase a tournament playing fee.

Events will no longer be accepted by repeat offenders. We are not in the business of having our tournament organizers as having accounts payable with us.

We have been culprits in this, and even "repeat offenders," but we are making every effort to rectify our process, with multiple CFC membership checks, so that non-current members (and even those whose memberships are due to expire before the end of the tournament) are not allowed to play.

Egidijus Zeromskis
10-03-2012, 10:42 PM
Sounds more like an accidental deletion from the online handbook. I specifically remember there being a rule instituted in the last ten years regarding memberships being needed for national championships.

I looked into a several years old Handbook compilation.

There was a paragraph:

"375. Tournament Playing Fee: A tournament fee for first time players in CFC events, for foreign players, and for players whose name does not appear on the last Annual List, of $10.00 may be paid in lieu of CFC membership. The player will then receive a rating, one copy of the magazine, and an invitation to join the CFC. [see Motion 90-9, as amended, GL, September 1990, p.1-12] At any national Championship, this fee is not permitted as a substitute for CFC membership. [see Motion 2005-14]"

Later 375 was transformed into

375. Tournament Playing Fee: Effective May 1st, 2009 the CFC Tournament Fee will be $20 per player per tournament, $4 of which will go to the Provincial Authority. The CFC Tournament Fee for juniors will be $10 per player per tournament, of which $2 will go to the Provincial Authority. {2008/09 GL5 Lavin/Smith}

The sentence about championships disappeared. Indirectly the old version required the CFC membership for ALL championships.

Christopher Field
10-06-2012, 05:56 PM
Membership must be required for CYCC.
I would think that even for provincial championships, membership should be required; prizes, after all, involve expenses to attend CYCC, and are supported by CFC and provincial associations.
Let's make the handbook agree.