PDA

View Full Version : Happy New Year !

Bob Armstrong
01-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Happy New Year to all from the Grassroots' Campaign !

New Year's Eve and New Year's Day are times to look back at what has been accomplished, and forward to what has still to be done.

In 2008, the Grassroots' Campaign formed, and in July, 2008, brought its platform to the CFC AGM. It maintained that the print Chess Canada, the retail business, and the CFC Office Unit, all had to go. This has now been done.

It also has a few items of its platform still outstanding. It wanted a full review of CFC staffing, with a view to cutting staff salary costs. This still needs to be done.

It also wanted some CFC fees changes ( such as elimination of the tournament playing fee [ = tournament memberhsip] ) and posted a draft brief of its proposals in December 2008 on the Canadian chess websites. We intend to continue to pursue the CFC Fees part of our platform in 2009, and look forward to the CFC doing a full CFC Fees Review early in the New Year, when we can submit our brief. The Governors changed the fees in July, 2008, at the AGM. Then in December, 2008 they reversed themselves and rescinded the changes. So now nothing has been accomplished. Time must not be allowed to drag on on this issue, given the CFC financial circumstances.

We hope we have shown that the CFC structure of governance is responsive to CFC ordinary member input, especially when organized, and hope that we encourage more ordinary member influence on the CFC in 2009.

Bob, Grassroots' Campaign Coordinator

Bob Gillanders
01-02-2009, 01:27 AM
I hope you had a Merry Christmas.

Are you gonna challenge Alex for most active player for 2009 ?

I am always interested to hear from you and your grassrooters. To borrow a phrase from Frasier Crane,

I'm listening.