PDA

View Full Version : Ontario Asked to Clean Up Its Act

Bob Armstrong
12-07-2008, 04:12 PM
As those of you who follow the Canadian chess websites know, I have come to the conclusion that Ontario's CFC Governors currently sitting are UNCONSTITUTIONALLY " elected ". I am not seeking to unseat them, but feel that the constitutional framework of the CFC legislation and the OCA legislation must be corrected for the election of future Ontario CFC Governors.

To this end, I have now written to the OCA, and submitted a brief of amendments to the OCA Bylaws, to request that they now correct the situation. Here is my recent letter to them:

" December 7, 2008

To the OCA Executive/Governors:

Re: Making the CFC Member Election of CFC Governors
In Ontario Constitutional

I have recently been researching the CFC member election of CFC Governors across the country. I have found that B.C., N.S. and N.B. allow all CFC members from the province at the Provincial Annual Meeting to “ elect “ all the CFC Governors from that province. This seems constitutional and in accordance with the CFC Handbook.
However, I have come to the conclusion that the Ontario procedure for “ electing “ Ontario CFC Governors under the OCA Constitution is UNCONSTITUTIONAL. The OCA Constitution states that the OCA Governors “ elect “ the CFC Governors for the Province. All the CFC members get to do is “ nominate “ persons for a CFC Governorship, and these nominations go to the OCA Annual Meeting , to be voted on by the OCA Governors. And the CFC members do not even nominate all 17 Ontario CFC Governors. They are restricted to only “ nominating “ the proportional share of CFC Governors for their particular region. This situation must be corrected.
I have already submitted a brief to the CFC asking for CFC Handbook amendments that will allow a Province to divide up the province into regions, and to restrict the CFC member’s vote for CFC Governors to those Governors allocated to that particular region ( since I believe that what Ontario is currently doing in this regard is unconstitutional ).
Now what is required is that the OCA Constitution/Bylaws be amended so that it gives all CFC members in the province the right to “ elect “ the CFC Governors for their region. I have prepared, and submit with this letter, a brief ( attached ) which outlines the amendments I think are required. I would ask that you consider and adopt my proposals, and that the Executive move and process the necessary motions to amend the OCA Constitution/Bylaws as are required.
Thank you. I would be pleased to answer any questions on the brief.

Sincerely,

Bob Armstrong, OCA Life Member/CFC Life Member