PDA

View Full Version : 6b. Olympiad Coordinator Report

Michael von Keitz
04-05-2012, 01:52 AM
The original thread will remain intact, but I'm now breaking these reports over multiple threads.

Michael von Keitz
04-05-2012, 01:53 AM
Barron:

Will we see Olympiad Coordinator Report?

I would think, this Meeting is a good opportunity to inform the Assembly of Governors of the preparation for the next Olympiad, as outlined in the CFC Handbook (http://chess.ca/handbook#section-12):

"1201. Olympiad Coordinator

The CFC Executive shall appoint an Olympiad Coordinator:

(a) The Olympiad Coordinator shall oversee the implementation of the Selection Procedures set out below and shall supervise and facilitate fund raising and the obtaining of sponsorship for the Olympic Teams.

(b) The Olympiad Coordinator shall submit a monthly report to the CFC Executive and Governors on the implementation of the Selection Procedures, fund raising to date, planned fund raising activities and sponsorship for the next Olympiad."

Michael von Keitz
04-05-2012, 01:54 AM
von Keitz:

Michael, no one stepped forward to take on the role of Olympiad Coordinator, so the duties have been largely divided between Hal, Ilia and myself. The team breakdowns are currently as follows:

Men
Bator Sambuev - Champion - ACCEPTS
Mark Bluvshtein - Rating - DECLINES
Kevin Spraggett - Rating - DECLINES
Leonid Gerzhoy - Rating - ACCEPTS
Nikolay Noritsyn - Committee - ACCEPTS
Eric Hansen - Committee - ACCEPTS
Edward Porper - Committee - ACCEPTS

Women
Natalia Khoudgarian - Champion - PENDING
Yuanling Yuan - Rating - PENDING
Iulia Lacau-Rodean - Rating - ACCEPTS
Alexandra Botez - Rating - ACCEPTS
Jackie Peng - Committee - ACCEPTS
Liza Orlova - Committee - PENDING
Dalia Kagramanov - Committee - PENDING

The intent of Natalia's role on the selection committee was an advisory one in relation to the picks for the women's team. Unfortunately, being constitutionally bound to a committee of 2 proved problematic, as there was a divide over the selection of Edward Porper. In the end, as the elected Masters' Rep, Vlad Drkulec accepted and executed the tiebreaking vote. It was a rather uncomfortable experience for all involved and I'd like to recommend that someone bring a motion to the floor mandating a selection committee of 3 members, not 2 - it probably won't solve all of our problems, but I think it would be a start.

Our fundraising to date has resulted in the collection of a little over $2000. The website needs to be updated to reflect the one or two donations we've brought in since the last update - I'll try to get on that tonight. There are some concerns that our revoked charitable status is having an effect on our numbers, but it's hard to say to what extent at this point.

We are seeking the governors' approval for guaranteed financial support of the Olympic teams, as well as encouraging TDs/Organizers to get involved by holding waive events. Going forward, we hope that we are approved for RCAAA status, but, if not, this year may prove a useful measure for future expectations.

Hal will be back in the country late this evening. As fundraising coordinator, he may be able to provide a fuller update.

Michael von Keitz
04-05-2012, 01:55 AM
Barron:

Thank you, Michael, for information!

Could you please clarify the procedure:
Did all mentioned players got the invitations?
Or only the first 5, and additional players will get it only when initially selected decline?

I'm willing to submit a motion to compose a selection committee of 3 members.
Any seconder?

Michael von Keitz
04-05-2012, 01:55 AM
von Keitz:

Yes, the latter scenario is correct. Liza and Dalia have not received invitations and will not if both Natalia and Yuanling accept.

Michael von Keitz
04-05-2012, 01:56 AM
Barron:

Thank you, Michael!

If you don't mind, a few more questions related to Olympiad:
What is the deadline for accepting invitation for initially selected players?
Do we have already any nominations for Team Captains?
What is Executive position regarding FIDE School Chess Olympiad Festival?
http://cis.fide.com/images/stories/d...l_olympiad.pdf

Michael von Keitz
04-05-2012, 01:57 AM
Zeromskis:

Seconded.

The Handbook sentence in 1205. The Selection Committee
"The CFC Executive shall appoint a Selection Committee consisting of two well known and respected individuals who are of at least master strength and have knowledge of the Canadian chess community.",

is amended as

"The CFC Executive shall appoint a Selection Committee consisting of three well known and respected individuals who are of at least master strength and have knowledge of the Canadian chess community."

Lyle, Does it go into the New Business?

Michael von Keitz
04-05-2012, 01:58 AM
von Keitz:

They were given a deadline of March 31, but we've extended it until the end of this meeting. The idea is that we'll be able to relay to them how much financial support the governors have granted the teams, allowing them to make an informed decision regarding their participation.

The nominations for team captains will be discussed very soon after this meeting concludes.

This FIDE School Chess Olympiad Festival is news to me. My initial reaction is that we will not seek to financially support a team's participation; however, we can announce the event and allow members to decide whether they might wish to organize independently.

Michael von Keitz
04-05-2012, 01:58 AM
von Keitz:

I suspect we'll put it down as Motion 2012-V.

Michael von Keitz
04-05-2012, 01:59 AM
Craver:

Agreed - and I've been making plans to second pretty much any motion on this subject Hal brings forward so long as no one else beats me to it.

It is Michael's call if additional Governor deliberation time is needed for a 'motion from the floor' which this would be and which I hope comes forward sooner than later.

Michael von Keitz
04-05-2012, 01:59 AM
Rekhson:

I would suggest abolishing the selection committee altogether starting from the next Olympiad.
I can't see a reason for it.
There are some countries in which players are in fact selected by captain or the committee, but usually they are fighting for the top spots. Unfortunately, that is not the case yet with Canada, instead by having committees the only thing that we create is controversies. Instead, I think that we should simply select the top five players by rating, if some decline then the next players by rating should be invited. This is an objective process, and short of creating competitions for olympic spots that is the only objective process that we can have in place.
Now it is of course possible that a better player would be lower rated, but ultimately why should some committee decide who is really better.

Lastly, if there is a player that is really deemed to be destructive, and unfit to represent Canada, the executive of the CFC should be able to simply take him off the team, based on past behaviour, such as: being abusive to team members, quitting the team in the middle of the tournament, etc...

Michael von Keitz
04-05-2012, 02:00 AM
Leblanc:

I agree with Vlad but I have to admit I'm not aware of the history behind our present selection system. If we selected the team by rating, there would have to be some guidance about which rating to use (CFC/FIDE) and there should still be a requirement that those eligible were active somewhere (Canada/World) in the recent past.

Michael von Keitz
04-05-2012, 02:00 AM
Craver:

A big part of previous discussions about making it entirely based on ratings was the feeling that it would encourage players who had achieved a strong result to "sit on" their ratings and not play for fear of risking their (probable) spot on the team.

I don't know that we ever studied to see if there was an effect of this sort but one heard anecdotal stories from time to time.

Michael von Keitz
04-05-2012, 02:01 AM
Rekhson:

While this does make sense, I think that most players who make the team can do so even under the current system as the committee is only selecting the bottom player and a couple of extras. Also, under the current system the ratings that count are the highest achieved in the past year so losing some points doesn't really matter.

Michael Barron
04-05-2012, 07:49 PM
I would suggest abolishing the selection committee altogether starting from the next Olympiad.
I can't see a reason for it.
There are some countries in which players are in fact selected by captain or the committee, but usually they are fighting for the top spots. Unfortunately, that is not the case yet with Canada, instead by having committees the only thing that we create is controversies. Instead, I think that we should simply select the top five players by rating, if some decline then the next players by rating should be invited. This is an objective process, and short of creating competitions for olympic spots that is the only objective process that we can have in place.
Now it is of course possible that a better player would be lower rated, but ultimately why should some committee decide who is really better.

Lastly, if there is a player that is really deemed to be destructive, and unfit to represent Canada, the executive of the CFC should be able to simply take him off the team, based on past behaviour, such as: being abusive to team members, quitting the team in the middle of the tournament, etc...

Vlad,
I respectfully disagree.

I would suggest exactly opposed:
To make Olympiad Committee permanent, with the objective to help the best Canadian players to grow - to recommend training plan, tournament calendar, help, if possible, with preparation for important events.

In this way we could come closer to the countries which are fighting for the top spots... :)

Vlad Rekhson
04-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Vlad,
I respectfully disagree.

I would suggest exactly opposed:
To make Olympiad Committee permanent, with the objective to help the best Canadian players to grow - to recommend training plan, tournament calendar, help, if possible, with preparation for important events.

In this way we could come closer to the countries which are fighting for the top spots... :)

I don't see anything wrong with having a committee to look after the future of the players, as long as they don't actually decide through completely subjective means who actually gets to represent the country in the olympiad.

Incidentally, on the topic of 2 vs. 3 members of the selection committee, besides the fact that I disagree with having the selection committee in general, I also don't think that increasing the number of its members will necessarily help them reach easier agreements. If you look at what happened this time around, the original two selection committee members eventually agreed on two out of three players but couldn't agree on the third, each presenting a different option. Thus Vlad Drkulec needed to select between the two. However, if the third committee member was there from the beginning he could have come up with an entirely different list of players that he wanted, thus the entire process would be even more complicated.