PDA

View Full Version : 6a. Public Relations Coordinator Report

Michael von Keitz
04-05-2012, 01:51 AM
The original thread will remain intact, but I'm now breaking these reports over multiple threads.

Michael von Keitz
04-05-2012, 01:52 AM
Public Relations Coordinator Report – Bob Armstrong, CFC Public Relations Coordinator

Bylaw 3 of the CFC Handbook, under Duties of Officers in Section 8C, gives the mandate of the Public Relations Coordinator position ( created at the 2010 AGM ) as:

“ 8C. The Public Relations Coordinator will be responsible for promoting the image of the CFC and for promoting chess generally to the public. As such the Public Relations Coordinator will, among other things:

- deal with mainstream media to promote significant chess news, such as Canadian Chess Champions, a new Canadian GM, major tournaments like the Can. Closed, Canadian Open, Can. Women’s Closed, CYCC, etc., the various benefits accruing from playing chess and other positive aspects of the chess culture. “

Here is the update on activity since the 2012 Winter Meeting ( Jan./12 ):

1. “ News “ items ( on the CFC Website Homepage under “ Latest News “[copies on the CFC " News " Discussion Forum, Facebook, and Twitter ] ) – Posted 43 news items ( to and including April 1 ). In particular, have started a series of posts promoting the new “ quick chess rating system “ to Canadian organizers ( and have posted on numbers of discussion board threads, where appropriate, about the new CFC system, that now parallels the normal “ regular rating” system ).

2. Press releases: issued 1:

Bond - Canadian Deputy Arbiter for 2012 World Chess Championship!

3. Discussion Boards: posted numbers of times on the members’ CFC Chess Chat Forum, and the CMA ChessTalk, answering CFC issues raised.

4. New Media Links: I have been provided by members with media links across the country, and will slowly be integrating them into the CFC Media E-mail Groups as time permits.

5. New CFC Facebook Non-Profit Corporation Page: have continued incremental building from about 100 “ Likes “ in January, up to 121 by April. Adopted early the new FB page format change, and introduced Banner Picture of public playing chess outside with large chess set. The majority of “ likes “ are not CFC tournament players, and many are not CFC members. We are reaching out in the social media to the non-CFC public.

Bob Armstrong, CFC Public Relations Officer

Bob Armstrong
04-05-2012, 12:25 PM
As CFC Public Relations Coordinator, to promote interest in the Spring Meeting among members/pubic, I have posted on the CFC " News " Forum, as one of my " The CFC Regular Post ", the topic of the Spring Meeting, and under it are posted:

1. The agenda
2. All agenda motions
3. Notice of start of meeting
4. Motions to amend and duration of voting
5. Motion to Withdraw Motion and duration of voting
6. Running attendance list naming all attending governors, and the percentage attendance.

This has definitely raised interest in the meeting!

For the first time on the " News " Forum, since Sept. 2011, we are poised to go over 500 " views "!!

I believe this is important since it enhances the credibility of the governors, and what they do to run CFC affairs.

I think it will be important that the Secretary comply with the Meeting Rules re immediate posting of the " Results of Voting ", to show the final result of governor efforts at the meeting:

Handbook, Section 2 - Rules and Regulations, Para 22A On-line Meeting Rules

(5) Vote Results: As soon after the close of voting on motions as possible, the Posting Secretary will post the results of all motions, giving the names of governors and their vote, and confirm whether the motion passed or failed (e.g. whether constitutional amendments achieved the 2/3 majority needed ), on the Governors’ Discussion Board and the members’ CFC Chess Forum.

Bob A

NOTE: I checked with President Michael von Keitz before doing this, to confirm that none of this breached our meeting confidentiality - no opinions of governors have been reproduced.