PDA

View Full Version : NEW BUSINESS: 15a. Diamond Jubilee Medals Discussion (Egis Zeromskis)

Lyle Craver
04-01-2012, 02:53 PM
OK Egis - please go for it!

Michael von Keitz
04-01-2012, 05:43 PM
Egis recently approached me regarding the Diamond Jubilee Medals, recommending that applications be made for Larry Bevand and Hal Bond. I am quite willing to write these applications (due at the end of this month), but I guess the aim of this discussion would be to procure the names of other potential candidates.

Egidijus Zeromskis
04-01-2012, 11:16 PM
An Ontario call for nominees link (probably other provinces and maybe Federal have own)
http://www.citizenship.gov.on.ca/english/citizenship/honours/diamondjubilee.shtml

http://www.citizenship.gov.on.ca/images/honours/diamondjubilee_en.jpg

Several chess players received the Silver Jubilee medal many years ago.

Egidijus Zeromskis
04-01-2012, 11:19 PM
this discussion would be to procure the names of other potential candidates.

Exactly.
Two additional names: Lawrence Day and Jonathan Berry for their long chess popularization through national newspapers and other good work for Canadian chess.

Lyle Craver
04-02-2012, 11:21 AM
Back in January I was asked by a local city councillor (who is of the same federal party as our MP and sits on his board of directors) to suggest a list of names for these - but unlike these they had to be from the same riding.

Day and Berry are good choices - Lynn Stringer would be another. There are plenty of our volunteers who could reasonably be named.

Rob Clark
04-02-2012, 09:59 PM
I submitted the same sort of nominations (same ministry similar online nomination) for the OCA OVSAs and had great results. I would be more than happy to do it again but am slightly hesitant to nominate anyone who was nominated for the OCA's OVSAs. If anyone has further Ontario nomination suggestions feel free to contact me or post here.

Michael von Keitz
04-02-2012, 11:37 PM
I submitted the same sort of nominations (same ministry similar online nomination) for the OCA OVSAs and had great results. I would be more than happy to do it again but am slightly hesitant to nominate anyone who was nominated for the OCA's OVSAs. If anyone has further Ontario nomination suggestions feel free to contact me or post here.

I don't think it would necessarily hurt to have multiple nominators. I do think, however, that we should be careful to offer only a very select list. Although the Ontario Volunteer Service Awards serve as an excellent form of recognition, the Jubilee Medals are much more exclusive. OVSA recipients should not be excluded from our consideration solely on the basis of having received that award, but we should expect the bar to be raised on those being accepted for these medals and, accordingly, we should present only our strongest cases. So far, we have 5 reasonable suggestions and maybe we want to leave it at that.

Rob Clark
04-03-2012, 12:37 AM
I absolutely agree that its far more selective. Apart from Lary Bevand and Hal (who are certainly great candidates) I believe John Rutherford is also worth some consideration. I simply felt a bit awkard nominating these individuals again since I am close with them.