PDA

View Full Version : CFC Member Election of CFC Governors - Regional Restriction

Bob Armstrong
12-06-2008, 12:49 AM
I have submitted to the CFC Executive/Governors ( with copy to the OCA President, Chris Mallon ) the following brief on allowing a geographical restriction on a CFC Member's vote for Provincial CFC Governors. If you support this proposal, would you so indicate, and would you contact Governors you know to ask that they implement the changes I have proposed. Thanks.

Here is the brief:

Submission to Executive/Governors of the CFC
December 5, 2008

CFC Member Election of CFC Governors

The CFC Handbook has a modified system of “ One member – one vote “ :

CFC Bylaw 1

ORDINARY MEMBERSHIP

5. Any person, ordinarily resident in Canada, may become an Ordinary Member of the Federation, for the then-current fiscal year, upon payment of the Membership per Capita Fee, directly to the Federation, or through his Provincial Organization. Every Ordinary or Life Member has a right to vote on the appointment or election of the Governor or Governors who will represent his Provincial Organization. Every Ordinary or Life Member has a right to vote on the appointment or election of the Governor or Governors who will represent his Provincial Organization at the assembly of Governors but shall not be entitled to vote under any other circumstances unless specifically provided in these by-laws.

CFC Rules and Regulations, Article 1

SELECTION OF GOVERNORS BY PROVINCIAL ORGANIZATION

9. As soon as possible after the receipt by a Provincial Organization of the aforementioned Certificate, such body will convene a meeting of its Federation Members for the purpose of electing its necessary number of nominees for the Board for the ensuing term.

I have found out that B.C., N.S. and N.B. proceed by allowing all CFC members at the Annual Meeting of the Provincial Organization to vote for all CFC Governors for that Province. This seems to conform with the CFC Handbook.
However, I have heard ( not been yet able to confirm ) that in some provinces the Executive, or Board, of the Provincial Organization appoints the CFC Governors for the Province. This appears to be unconstitutional, and the CFC should demand conformity with the CFC Handbook where such a system is found.
I believe the current Ontario practice is unconstitutional. The OCA Constitution states that the OCA Governors “ elect “ the CFC Governors for the Province. All the CFC members get to do is “ nominate “ persons for a CFC Governorship, and these nominations go to the OCA Annual Meeting , to be voted on by the OCA Governors. And the CFC members do not even nominate all 17 Ontario CFC Governors. They are restricted to only “ nominating “ the proportional share of CFC Governors for their particular region ( Ontario is divided up into four Regional Affiliates of the OCA ).
So I have prepared and will be submitting a proposal to the OCA to amend the OCA Constitution, to make it a constitutional process whereby each CFC member gets to “ elect “ CFC Governors. It would be helpful if pressure is brought to bear by the CFC on the OCA to make these changes in a timely manner, to conform to the CFC Handbook.

CFC Handbook Amendment Needed

it seems to me that each CFC member has the unrestricted right to vote for ALL CFC Governors for that Province, That is how B.C., N.S, and N.B. interpret it.
But I like the Ontario concept of localizing the election of CFC Governors into the geographic regions. CFC Members often do not know those standing for Governors in other regions, and their vote in that regard is uninformed. But each member can know those running for governorship in their own region of the Province. So I think it is a GOOD thing for a CFC member to have his vote RESTRICTED to those CFC Governors from his own region, if the Provincial Organization so orders.
The problem is that the CFC Handbook as currently written does not give the Provincial Organizations the power to restrict the CFC member governor vote in this way. An amendment of the CFC Handbook is therefore required for this.
I propose the following amendments:

CFC Bylaw 1

ORDINARY MEMBERSHIP

5. Any person, ordinarily resident in Canada, may become an Ordinary Member of the Federation, for the then-current fiscal year, upon payment of the Membership per Capita Fee, directly to the Federation, or through his Provincial Organization. Every Ordinary or Life Member has a right to vote on the appointment or election of the Governor or Governors who will represent his Provincial Organization. Every Ordinary or Life Member has a right to vote on the appointment or election of the Governor or Governors who will represent his Provincial Organization at the assembly of Governors, except that the Provincial Organization, should it see fit, can restrict the Member vote to those Governors allocated to their particular region of the Province, but shall not be entitled to vote under any other circumstances unless specifically provided in these by-laws.

9. As soon as possible after the receipt by a Provincial Organization of the aforementioned Certificate, such body will convene a meeting of its Federation Members for the purpose of electing its necessary number of nominees for the Board for the ensuing term. However, should the Provincial Organization see fit, it can devolve the holding of meetings to regional affiliates, and restrict the Federation Members to voting only for the CFC Governors allocated to that particular region.

I hope that these amendments will achieve the purpose of allowing a system as set up in Ontario to function, so long as the CFC members do the “ electing “.
I would ask the Executive to prepare the necessary motions to implement this,
Thank you for consideration of my proposal.

Bob Armstrong, CFC Life Member, OCA Life Member

Egidijus Zeromskis
12-06-2008, 11:40 AM
I think that such kind of amendments are too clumsy. The rules must be coherent and without repetitions.

P.S. Bob, why do you repeat the same sentence even in your proposal with very small difference? Online handbook has the same problem (probably somebody made a mistake). I do not think that there are two type of Governors: for representation of Provinces and for representation at the Assembly.

Every Ordinary or Life Member has a right to vote on the appointment or election of the Governor or Governors who will represent his Provincial Organization.
Every Ordinary or Life Member has a right to vote on the appointment or election of the Governor or Governors who will represent his Provincial Organization at the assembly of Governors"

Bob Armstrong
12-06-2008, 11:53 AM
Hi Egis:

I agree that I don't think the sentence: " Every Ordinary or Life Member has a right to vote on the appointment or election of the Governor or Governors who will represent his Provincial Organization. " is clear as to its intention - I think it is saying that a CFC member should have the right to vote for Governors who run their own Provincial Organization. But I'm not sure.

Also, the amendments I propose are not clumsy, IMHO. They are needed to allow a province like Ontario ( where you are an OCA Governor ) to divide the province up into Regional Affiliates, and then RESTRICT the CFC member's vote to only the Governors in his/her specific region.

Bob

Egidijus Zeromskis
12-06-2008, 12:36 PM
I agree that I don't think the sentence: " Every Ordinary or Life Member has a right to vote on the appointment or election of the Governor or Governors who will represent his Provincial Organization. " is clear as to its intention - I think it is saying that a CFC member should have the right to vote for Governors who run their own Provincial Organization. But I'm not sure.

Per definition ""Governor" shall be used to designate a Special Member of the Corporation.", where "Federation" may be used interchangeably with "Corporation". Thus they are CFC Governors representing their Provinces.

Also, the amendments I propose are not clumsy, IMHO. They are needed to allow a province like Ontario ( where you are an OCA Governor ) to divide the province up into Regional Affiliates, and then RESTRICT the CFC member's vote to only the Governors in his/her specific region.

Bob, I do not say that idea was clumsy ;) You included the same meaning in two places. I think the same idea must be stated only once.

Bob Armstrong
12-06-2008, 01:07 PM
Hi Egis:

The two sentences you are concerned about, which seem to say the same thing, are not drafted by me. They are the sentences already in the CFC Handbook. I have not touched them. I agree that the two sentences, as you interpret them, seem to say the same thing, and if I were a Governor, I would bring a motion to delete the first of the 2 sentences as duplicative.

This has nothing to do with my proposed amendments , which stand on their own.

Bob

Christopher Mallon
12-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Well, I guess the question is then why bother with multiple motions amending the same section of the handbook? Put them all into one.

Bob Armstrong
12-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Hi Chris:

Good idea. I have asked the CFC Executive to bring and process the necessary motions for my amendments - they can include cleaning up that section by eliminating the duplicative first sentence of the pair we are discussing.

I expect I have your support for my proposed amendments, as President of the OCA, to get the necessary CFC legislation that will allow Ontario to keep its process of using 4 Regions for CFC Governor elections?

Bob

Egidijus Zeromskis
12-06-2008, 01:54 PM
The two sentences you are concerned about, which seem to say the same thing, are not drafted by me. They are the sentences already in the CFC Handbook. I have not touched them. I agree that the two sentences, as you interpret them, seem to say the same thing, and if I were a Governor, I would bring a motion to delete the first of the 2 sentences as duplicative.

This has nothing to do with my proposed amendments , which stand on their own.

Your amendments have two things what I am concerned :(
"Every Ordinary or Life Member" repetition. (this seems is not your amendment's problem :)
And your idea is repeated two times:
"except that the Provincial Organization, should it see fit, can restrict the Member vote to those Governors allocated to their particular region of the Province"
"However, should the Provincial Organization see fit, it can devolve the holding of meetings to regional affiliates, and restrict the Federation Members to voting only for the CFC Governors allocated to that particular region."

Bob Armstrong
12-06-2008, 02:23 PM
Hi Egis:

The problem is that the CFC member right to vote for CFC Governors is dealt with in two different places : CFC Bylaw 1 , Section 5, and , CFC Rules and Regulations, Article 1, Section 9.

Therefore it is not possible to amend only one of the sections. This would result in the two sections becoming inconsistent and they could be interpreted against each other.

Therefore, since it is dealt with in the 2 places, it must be amended in both places.

Bob

Christopher Mallon
12-06-2008, 02:29 PM
Or just get rid of one of the places.

This one is so basic it should be in the bylaws and not the regulations.

Bob Armstrong
12-06-2008, 02:35 PM
Hi Chris:

If the Executive wants to do a bit of legislative clean-up on this fundamental right of CFC members to elect their CFC Governors, I'd be all for it.

Unfortunately, my brief, and proposed amendments, had to be based on the legislation currently existing, even if duplicative.

Bob

Peter McKillop
12-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Why not wait until the dust settles on David Lavin's rumoured re-engineering of the CFC before we get into constitutional amendments? I say "rumoured" because that's all we ordinary members seem to be getting these days. So much for transparency (and accountability?).

Bob Armstrong
12-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Hi Peter:

The problem is that technically, Ontario's CFC Governors are unconstitutionally elected. I think , at least, to correct the situation, the enabling legislation should be passed so that the current Governors have some type of legitimacy.

This need not affect any other more dramatic revamping that may be in the works. But I haven't heard of any major plans in the wings - but what do I know.

Bob

Peter McKillop
12-07-2008, 01:08 AM
What if Lavin's New World changes the CFC's governance structure such that your proposal is no longer applicable? What if the delay in GL3 has been caused by Lavin trying to reach a final consensus, in private rather than in a goldfish bowl, on the future form and substance of the CFC?; i.e. a done deal. Anyway, Bob, I'm not trying to tell you what to do. It's your nickel.

Bob Armstrong
12-07-2008, 02:21 AM
Hi Peter:

David knows now what I'm proposing and presenting to the Governor's. I trust that if I'm wasting my time, he will so advise me.

And the CFC does not have time to waste in fixing things, even constitutional ones. CFC has got to be about multi-tasking for the foreseeable future, and projects must move ahead as soon as possible. Though constitutional issues are a lower priority than some other files at the moment, there is no reason for them not to move ahead now at the same time as some higher priority issues.

Bob

Christopher Mallon
12-07-2008, 09:47 AM
It's also almost impossible to pass Constitutional motions except at the AGM, so there is in fact a lot of time to get it right and fix everything at the same time.

Bob Armstrong
12-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Today on ChessTalk, Alvah Mayo made an important point - here is what he asked:

" Why not simply straighten out the non-democratic provinces instead of introducing measures to make restrictions to democracy "legal"? If Nova Scotia and New Brunswick can get it right "out in the sticks" without a CFC By-Law amendment, so can Ontario. "

This definitely requires a good answer, since we are talking about CFC " restricting " the normal voting right of CFC members in Ontario ( or other provinces that in future might also adopt such a system as Ontario's ). I answered:

" Hi Alvah:

I'm sure that Chris Mallon, OCA President, will have a comment on the Ontario system, and the need for a CFC By-law amendment to support it. But I'll give a shot at an answer.

In Ontario, we have for as long as I remember, divided the Province up into four leagues. This has been done specifically to strengthen local democracy. There are many CFC members in Ontario ( I think almost half of CFC 's total membership ), and they are spread throughout the province. We often know little about the organizers, chess administrators, etc. in the other regions. The idea is that CFC members can get to know those running for office in their own region, but may have little information on those in other regions. So if the CFC member had to vote for all 17 Ontario CFC Governors, many votes would be quite ill-informed. And since we have so many governor positions, those people who may be well-known throughout the Province do not equal the number of seats. So lesser lights need to come forward and volunteer, and they are only known by there own region's CFC members. We believe localized democracy is a good thing.

It is true that N.S. and N.B. " get it right ". But they each have to find only 2 governors. In a Province like that, it is likely that the few very active chess personages, who want to be CFC Governors, are known throughout the Province, and CFC members throughout the Province feel comfortable with a Province-wide election. I would assume that in these Provinces, there are a number of people interested in the few positions available, and there is some jockeying to get elected. In Ontario, with our number of governors, we are sometimes conscripting people to act, and there are often acclamations of all positions. So Ontario's division into geographic regions is an attempt to grapple with this problem.

CFC must amend its Constitution/Bylaws to make such an Ontario system constitutional ( because right now, Ontario's CFC Governors are not constitutionally elected, IMHO ). And once this becomes available, a province like B.C. with 5 governors might also wish to somehow make a geographic division, to make sure all regions of the province get represented ( Jonathan Berry in an earlier post said this was a weakness in the current B.C. practice - people out of Vancouver had to rely on the good graces of the Vancouverites to elect some governors from other parts of the Province - but there was no obligation on them to do this ).

Bob"

Chris, you may want to go to the " other " board to add any further comments you think are necessary to explain this point to Alvah.

Also, I accept what you say about " Constitutional " Amendments. We do have time. But could I suggest on this particular topic, that the CFC form a small Governor's Committee now, to draft a motion for the next CFC AGM. It will then have some time early next year to look at not only this issue, but as you mentioned, perhaps some tangential amendments that might clean-up the CFC legislation a bit. And I don't see any reason why this small committee could not include an interested CFC Member/non-Governor, to help divide up the work a bit. Let me know what you think of this idea.

By the way, how does Alberta " elect " its Governor's ? - no one from there has yet responded on any board.

Bob

Bob Armstrong
12-09-2008, 10:25 AM
CFC President David Lavin has now responded to me on the filing of my brief asking for certain amendments to the CFC Handbook, which will partly go to making the current Ontario system of electing CFC Governors constitutional. There are a number of issues that now arise:

Issue # 1. The 2 modest amendments I have requested affect CFC Bylaw 1 , Section 5, and , CFC Rules and Regulations, Article 1, Section 9. The amendments are:

CFC Bylaw 1

ORDINARY MEMBERSHIP

5. Any person, ordinarily resident in Canada, may become an Ordinary Member of the Federation, for the then-current fiscal year, upon payment of the Membership per Capita Fee, directly to the Federation, or through his Provincial Organization. Every Ordinary or Life Member has a right to vote on the appointment or election of the Governor or Governors who will represent his Provincial Organization. Every Ordinary or Life Member has a right to vote on the appointment or election of the Governor or Governors who will represent his Provincial Organization at the assembly of Governors, except that the Provincial Organization, should it see fit, can restrict the Member vote to those Governors allocated to their particular region of the Province, but shall not be entitled to vote under any other circumstances unless specifically provided in these by-laws.

9. As soon as possible after the receipt by a Provincial Organization of the aforementioned Certificate, such body will convene a meeting of its Federation Members for the purpose of electing its necessary number of nominees for the Board for the ensuing term. However, should the Provincial Organization see fit, it can devolve the holding of meetings to regional affiliates, and restrict the Federation Members to voting only for the CFC Governors allocated to that particular region.

The first issue is whether either or both of these proposed amendments are " constitutional " amendments under the CFC Handbook. Apparently if they are, it is not just a simple majority vote to pass them. There apparently is a special quorum and special majority requirement. I will be seeking the assistance of Treasurer Chris Mallon, who has more of a handle on this issue than I at the moment, so I can understand exactly what will be required for my motion(s) to pass. Chris has already indicated that given the past voting record of the Assembly of Governors, it is not easy to get " constitutional " amendments passed at meetings of the Governors outside of the Annual General Meeting, though it is certainly possible. Of course this is a major problem, because the amendments have to be in place BEFORE the July 2009 AGM. Ontario has to elect its Governors who will be going to that AGM, BEFORE that AGM, and those elections must be constitutionally valid by that time!

Issue # 2. Who will David appoint as the " point " governor on this amendment file? Because I submitted my brief directly to the governors ( the governors have seen fit not to impose the CFC Handbook section 14 requirement that members take issues to their Provincial Organization! ), at this point no governor has responsibility to move this matter forward and to organize its processing. Also specific motions must then be drafted ( if my brief proposal is accepted ), and passed. The President, if he is not going to personally handle this, will have to give the responsibility to a particular governor. This governor will then have to stick-handle these amendments through to conclusion.

Issue # 3. Can the proposed amendments be dealt with at the present time? Former CFC President Maurice Smith is currently involved in updating the CFC Handbook. He is looking at motions that the Govenors have passed since 2000, and which were never incorporated into the Handbook! Do any of these motions outstanding affect the 2 amendments I want in any way - in other words, am I amending up-to-date sections of the Handbook? Apparently Maurice has identified the outstanding motions that need incorporation, as a first step in his process. If this is the case, I have suggested to David that we ask Maurice whether he can tell us at this early time in his process, whether he can advise if the sections I seek to amend, are up-to-date. Once we know the answer to that question, we can see if we can proceed to process my brief.

Issue # 4. Though we do have some time before the Ontario Regional Affiliates hold their elections for the 2009-10 Governors, it will come quickly in the late Spring. And it will take time to process the brief, and then, if successful, motions will have to be processed through the GL's. And we've seen how long that can sometimes take, especially if the time between GL's lengthens out. So it is likely best that handling this matter not be delayed too long in the new year.

Conclusion - Some things aren't simple !

Bob

Bob Armstrong
12-10-2008, 01:44 AM
I identified as Issue # 1 above : whether the formal amendments I requested were to be treated as " constitutional " amendments.

The relevant section of the CFC Handbook is :

BY-LAW NUMBER THREE OF THE CHESS FEDERATION OF CANADA

ANNUAL MEETING AND AMENDMENTS TO THE CONSTITUTION

2. All matters to be decided by the Assembly, shall be decided by a majority vote, save as hereinafter provided.

3. Any amendment or revision of these By-Laws [ # 1, # 2, # 3 ]; .....

(a) at any Annual Meeting of the Assembly, providing that .... any resolution pertaining to such matter shall be approved by at least a two-thirds majority of the votes of those present and entitled to vote, including proxy votes.

(b) at any time through a mail vote of Assembly, providing that the exact wording of such proposed amendments or revision, or of the resolution to be passed by the Board through mail vote is submitted to each Governor at least fourteen days before the expiry of the time limit specified by the President for the receipt of the votes by the Secretary, and that at least one-half of the number of votes eligible to be cast has been received by the Secretary, and there is a majority of at least two-thirds of the votes cast in favour of the proposed amendment or revision or resolution.

Abstentions shall not be included in determining whether a two-thirds majority has been attained in (a) or (b) above provided only that the number of votes cast in favour must exceed the sum of the number of votes cast against and of the number of abstentions cast.

My First Amendment

CFC Bylaw 1

ORDINARY MEMBERSHIP

Since this is an amendment of Bylaw 1, it must be treated as a " constitutional " amendment, under Bylaw 3, section 3. And if it is to be passed outside of the AGM, by " mail vote ", then section 3(b) applies. That is, a full 1/2 of the governors must vote ( the quorum ), and a full 2/3 of the votes must be in favour ( the special majority ).

I believe this is what the Governors must do if my amendment is allowed to proceed. We cannot wait 'til the 2009 CFC AGM to deal with this. That would mean that once again, the Ontario 2009-10 Governors would be unconstitutionally elected. There will have to be a Governors' " mail vote " soon, and we shall have to achieve the quorum, and the special majority. I think this can be done on this issue, despite the sometimes poor voting record of governors in previous years. For the 2008-9 votes, the governors have shown a turnout in greater numbers than past years. So we can hope that on an important constitutional issue for Ontario, they will vote in sufficient numbers.

My Second Amendment

This is not an amendment of any of the three bylaws. Therefore this amendment is NOT a " constitutional " amendment. Thus it is dealt with under Bylaw 3, section 2, and requires only a simple majority of votes cast ( I have not yet been able to find any quorum requirement for ordinary GL votes or mail votes ). So this amendment should not pose any special difficulty in processing. And again, it should be done within a reasonable time frame, so that it is passed BEFORE the Ontario regions vote for their governors in late Spring, 2009.

So now, still outstanding are, the other three issues I identified above. I look forward to an early response on them from CFC President David Lavin.

Bob