PDA

View Full Version : 5c. Past Presidents Report

Bob Gillanders
04-01-2012, 11:12 AM
I am optimistic the membership numbers are finally heading upwards, hopefully on a sustained basis. If you check appendix 2 of GL3, the evidence was quietly revealed. Membership as of Feb 1, 2012 stands at 1873, up from 1821 as of May 1, 2011.

It is nothing earth shattering, we have had these fluctuations before. However, I tend to believe it is the start of a longer trend. It is consistent with the trend I see at the club level.
Well, at least at the 3 clubs I visit, Mississauga, Hamilton, and Burlington. Individual club results may vary. :)

Lyle Craver
04-01-2012, 11:34 AM
I have long felt the strength of the CFC depends directly on the strength of our clubs and have favored doing whatever we can to help them.

Bob Armstrong
04-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Of its 5 tournaments for the 2011-2 season ( from Sept. 1/11 ), 2 drew 100 players to the regular Thursday night swiss, and one 99 players. The other two averaged over 90. This is record turnout compared to the last 5 years.

Membership fully paid probably stands at about 120. All are CFC members!

I think this record also tends to indicate a slowly growing tournament base for CFC.

Bob A, Chair, SCC Games Database Committee

Paul Leblanc
04-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Bob, are you still running with the ball on renewing our charitable status? I have been holding back on fundraising for the Chess Foundation pending resolution.

Bob Gillanders
04-01-2012, 02:47 PM
Bob, are you still running with the ball on renewing our charitable status? I have been holding back on fundraising for the Chess Foundation pending resolution.

Me or Bob A.?

Either way, Prez Michael is running with the ball on this one. I will let him give us an update.

Michael von Keitz
04-01-2012, 05:34 PM
We have all of the required documents in place to make the application for RCAAA status; however, Les suggested that he would write our "statement of activities" with a slant toward the sporting aspects of chess. I've been holding off on applying until he provides this document. Unfortunately, I've not heard word from him on this, despite a few attempts to follow up - I'm told this may have to do with his snowbirding. If anyone feels they may be able to write this document themselves, I encourage them to get in touch with me. I truly believe that it is the make-or-break portion of the application. For that reason, I would prefer the input of someone with legal training (Bob A?).