PDA

View Full Version : 12. 2012-U Guidelines for Standard/Regular rated events

Lyle Craver
03-31-2012, 11:25 PM
Moved Paul Leblanc, seconded Fred McKim

All events rated Standard/Regular should:

1. use chess clocks

2. require both players to record moves

3. have time set for no less than game in 60 minutes per player (may include increments based on 60 moves) (CFC Handbook article 711)

4. have time controls and round times advertised in pre-event advertising and posted on organizer's website (CFC Handbook article 711)

5. have no more than 4 games per day

6. include the exact time control with the rating submission to the CFC

Otherwise, events must be submitted for Active/Quick Rating. Rare exemptions may be granted on the recommendation of the Rating Auditor and approved by the CFC Executive

Governors should note that this will be an addendum to the CFC Handbook Article 711 and to the website under "Rating".

Gordon Ritchie
04-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Another eminently sensible proposal from Paul.

Pierre Dénommée
04-04-2012, 02:45 PM
I would have put a limit on the maximum playing time. The motion would permit 4 six hours games in a day.

The FIDE limit of 12 hours per day for games of 60 moves or less is nice.

Paul Leblanc
04-05-2012, 10:10 AM
I had originally proposed 3 games per day as the maximum. I believe that is what the USCF uses. Some people I worked with to develop this policy preferred to allow up to 4 games, the thinking being that there have been examples where at least one organizer in Ontario, Steve Demmery, I believe, has run events with 4 games x 60 minutes per player in one day.

Christopher Mallon
04-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but #1-4 are already in the handbook are they not?

We should try to avoid duplication; excessive duplication caused quite a mess in the handbook in the past when parts were updates while others were not.

Michael von Keitz
04-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but #1-4 are already in the handbook are they not?

We should try to avoid duplication; excessive duplication caused quite a mess in the handbook in the past when parts were updates while others were not.

As per the notation in the motion, #3 and #4 are already covered in article 711 of the Handbook and, as far as I can tell, are listed for informational purposes only. For certain, #1 and #2 are covered by Section 4, if not elsewhere. In any event, no amendments were brought forward prior to the commencement of voting and any potential duplications arising can be dealt with at a future time.

Paul Leblanc
04-06-2012, 03:31 PM
I couldn't find 1 or 2. Maybe you know better where to look.
I wanted to have this in these rules in the rating section and on the ratings link on the web site because that is where TDs and organizers will look for the rules for tournaments to qualify for Regular rating.

Christopher Mallon
04-06-2012, 06:17 PM
#2 is article 8.1 in the FIDE laws of chess.

#1 may not be explicitly stated elsewhere, now that I look at it. However, this seems to create a loophole; if a friend and I play a match without a clock, even if we take days upon days to play each game, it has to be rated Quick?