PDA

View Full Version : 11. 2012-T Guide for rating Internet games

Lyle Craver
03-31-2012, 11:23 PM
Moved: Paul Leblanc, Seconded: Vlad Rekhson

Introduction: The CFC is silent on the issue of rating internet events yet from time to time such events are held and results submitted for rating. This issue was raised in the Rating Auditor Report during the January 2012 Governors Meeting. Discussion was limited however it appears that there is an agreement that there should be a published policy.
Motion: That an article be added to the CFC Handbook Section 7 CFC Rating System as follows:

"Events played over the internet may be submitted for CFC rating provided that:

i) Conditions of play are advertised ahead of the event and agreed to by all participants"

ii) A non-playing TD must be present at each playing site to ensure that normal tournament regulations and playing conditions are upheld.

iii) Along with all the information that is usually sent to CFC, an event that has games played on the internet shall also provide the following information:

a) moves from games played over the internet
b) The names of TDs present at each site,
c) provide the website where the games took place.
d) provide the internet handles of the participants.

Gordon Ritchie
04-04-2012, 11:03 AM
This makes sense to me.

Pierre Dénommée
04-04-2012, 02:42 PM
Do you trust the Internet Server for the time management? The speed of the Internet is unknown and a player could loose on time because a packet has to be re transmitted.

Valer Eugen Demian
04-05-2012, 05:24 PM
The root of the situation here is the fact we have the Canadian Correspondence Chess Association as the official governing body in this country to deal with ANY internet games of ANY length of time. Isn't CFC interfering here with our CCCA scope, knowledge and activity?

In the spirit of cooperation and mutual agreement between both groups CCCA should at least be consulted if not given the opportunity to deal with these games!

Lyle Craver
04-05-2012, 06:41 PM
I was wondering about that and am very glad to have heard from you on this.

(For those not in the know, the Canadian Correspondence Chess Association is an affiliate of the CFC and nominates a Governor to our board - which has been Valer for several years. Those interested in more about the CCCA should click [URL="http://correspondencechess.com/ccca/"]here.)

Paul Leblanc
04-05-2012, 07:52 PM
I must admit I had no knowledge of the CCCA when Vlad and I developped this motion. I was reacting to the reality that people have submitted internet events to the CFC for rating and it has caused problems when others complained about the propriety of doing so.

Valer Eugen Demian
04-07-2012, 12:06 AM
Regardless of being aware of not - my name is listed as governor for CCCA for 4 years in a row now - I think CFC makes a BIG mistake passing now this motion. I could see the result of voting when I voted NO on a Friday night Pacific time.

Let me put it this way: you are in partnership with someone for pulling efforts together and create a win-win situation. CFC IS in a written partnership with CCCA! What you create now is a loophole where CFC BREAKS this partnership for its own gain.

I will inform our CCCA Executives of what is going on. What would you all do if one day you will find out CCCA is charging money for tournaments run over the board? I can't believe the governors are blindly voting on it... :mad:

CCCA (http://correspondencechess.com/ccca/) is officially affiliated to ICCF. ICCF is officially recognized by FIDE. Based on these real facts, I respectfully request the CFC Executives to dismiss the results of this motion!

Paul Leblanc
04-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Valer, don't worry I will investigate this before going too far.
Let's open an offline conversation. My e-mail address is pc-leblanc@shaw.ca