PDA

View Full Version : Board Administration

Bob Armstrong
08-19-2008, 09:08 PM
Hi Chris:

I just noticed that of the 8 threads on the new CFC Chess Forum, 5 have now been closed ( which I understand means no one can now add replies to these threads ).

I'm curious why this was done. Threads that are inactive will slowly scroll off the main screen. Why close them at this early stage?

Also, the new board has just gone public today, and so there will be a number of new viewers/posters. Wouldn't it be better to have some threads available that they can post on when they first come to the board. It takes time for people to start their own posts, but they often will reply.

Just wondering the rational of closing those threads.

Bob

Christopher Mallon
08-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Hi Bob,

I'm not really sure what you mean. I have not closed a single thread. They all appear to be open from my computer.

Bob Armstrong
08-19-2008, 09:45 PM
Hi Chris:

Sorry - my eyes may have been playing tricks on me. When I now look at the 5 threads I thought were closed, they are NOT now. I'm glad to see I was mistaken.

Bob

Bob Armstrong
08-19-2008, 09:59 PM
Hi again Chris:

I noticed that under my poster name " Bob Armstrong " is the status : " junior member ".

I know I look younger than I am, but I'd have trouble passing for a " junior ". I'm not sure if I can change this myself, nor how to do it if I can. Maybe my status could be : " Editor, SCTCN&V ", if that would be acceptable.

Please advise how I change it. Or else you can change it if that's how it has to be done.

Thanks.

Bob

Egidijus Zeromskis
08-20-2008, 10:52 AM
Could it be possible to replace background color with #6699cc as chess.ca has?

Christopher Mallon
08-20-2008, 10:40 PM
yes, I was making things wacky colours to determine exactly what each setting does. I put most of them back to default but missed one apparently hehe.

Bob Armstrong
08-20-2008, 11:57 PM
Hi Chris:

I posted the message below previously, but I think you may have missed it, so here it is again:

" I noticed that under my poster name " Bob Armstrong " is the status : " junior member ".

I know I look younger than I am, but I'd have trouble passing for a " junior ". I'm not sure if I can change this myself, nor how to do it if I can. Maybe my status could be : " Editor, SCTCN&V ", if that would be acceptable.

Please advise how I change it. Or else you can change it if that's how it has to be done.

Thanks. "

Bob

Bob Armstrong
08-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Hi Chris:

This was raised before but apparently you have not seen it or not gotten to fix it yet. The time clock for the board is not set to Eastern Daylight time, as it the ChessTalk board. I posted today at 11:57 AM, but the main screen shows my post as made at 3:57 AM today , 8 hrs. earlier. Could this be fixed? Thanks.

Bob

Bob Armstrong
08-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Hi Chris:

I think I was mistaken. The time of the post on the board I'm referring to was I think 3:57 PM ( not 3:57 AM ). But I posted at 11:57 AM Eastern Daylight time - 4 hrs. earlier.

Anyways, regardless of my confusion, the time of the clock should be adjusted to Eastern Daylight time like the ChessTalk board.

Thanks.

Bob

Christopher Mallon
08-22-2008, 01:46 AM
Hi Bob,

Please ensure you aren't set to GMT in your Control Panel options... times work just fine for me and nobody else has complained either...

Egidijus Zeromskis
08-22-2008, 09:27 AM
Hi Bob,

Please ensure you aren't set to GMT in your Control Panel options... times work just fine for me and nobody else has complained either...

For those who not login, time is not Canadian. i.e. your message was written Today 05:46 AM.

The bigger problem: the site is soooooooo slooooooooooowwwwwww. That really annoys :mad:

Bob Armstrong
08-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Hi Chris:

I do not have time problems at ChessTalk. Would this not show that my settings in my control panel are correct?

Bob

Bob Armstrong
08-24-2008, 10:10 PM
Hi Chris:

The post above, that I just posted, shows it as being posted " Today - 2:00 AM ". I imagine the " today " refers to tomorrow, Monday, August 25. I made the post tonight, Sunday, August 24, at 10;00 pm. So the website is setting the time 4 hrs. ahead of my time. Is no one else having this problem?

Bob

Bob Armstrong
08-24-2008, 10:42 PM
Hi Chris:

Egis noted in an above post that this site is interminably slow. Why is this? I don't have this " wait " problem with ChessTalk.

After I clicked on the CFC Chess Forum link in my favourites list, it took 105 seconds for the site to load.
Then I clicked on the main thread link I wanted, and it took 90 seconds for the screen to appear, and the loading bar graph at the bottom to complete and disappear.
Then I clicked on the thread I wanted to comment on and it took 90 seconds to appear.
When I clicked on Quick Reply though, it took only 1 second for the screen to appear.

I have been having this long delay problem on this site for a while. And it isn't my computer, since I don't have this problem on ChessTalk.

How can this be fixed Chris?

It is very discouraging, and for new visitors, we will just lose them when they get fed up and leave. I think the site as being well-used is dead unless it can be speeded up.

Are others finding the same problem of slowness that Egis and I are??

Bob

Michael Barron
08-24-2008, 10:58 PM
Hi Bob,

I don't have this problem.
It could be your personal settings on this particular board.
To check this do the following:
1) click on "User Control Panel" menu in top left corner
2) click on "Edit Options" in "Settings & Options" section
3) scroll down to "Date & Time Options" section and verify your settings.

Hope this help.

Bob Armstrong
08-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Hi Michael:

Thanks for the very precise instructions ( I think this is what Chris was telling me to do, but I didn't know how )

Hopefully now, the time of this post will be shown correctly.

Bob

Christopher Mallon
08-24-2008, 11:37 PM
Hi Bob,

I don't have this problem at all, the site is faster than Chesstalk for me actually. They are hosted by the same company. You and two other people apparently have this issue that I'm aware of so far.. unfortunately since I don't have the problem I'm not sure what I can do to fix it - it's not on the server-side of things.

Bob Armstrong
08-25-2008, 06:31 PM
Hi Chris:

I understand some others got in touch with you on this problem. Thanks to whomever did something, because the site is now as fast as ChessTalk for me. Thank the gods!:) :D

Bob

Christopher Mallon
08-25-2008, 06:56 PM
Wasn't me ... sounds like it was a sympatico issue.

Bob Armstrong
09-11-2008, 09:05 AM
Hi Chris:

I just noticed that the time shown for last visits for me is 1/2 hour behind - I visited at 9:01 AM today, and it showed my visit time as 8:31 AM. I have my time option set for EST and automatic Daylight Savings time detection.

How is this corrected?:confused:

Bob

Bob Armstrong
09-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Hi Chris:

I just visited again to check what it would say about last visit, and it did give the time correctly. It may be that when I checked last time, I had failed to click the refresh button, and so it hadn't reset. Sorry.

Bob

Bob Armstrong
09-15-2008, 09:45 AM
Hi Chris:

I tried to edit the title of a thread I posted, using " edit " and " go advanced ". It changes the title on the post itself, but not on the main screen. Is changing thread titles verboten?

Bob

Christopher Mallon
09-15-2008, 09:48 AM
Hmm, might be an admin thing in this old version of vB. What thread is it?

Bob Armstrong
09-15-2008, 10:09 AM
Hi Chris:

The thread is " Women's World Championship ". If you check the post, you'll see that the title there is amended as I was trying to do for the main screen thread.

Bob

Bob Armstrong
09-15-2008, 10:37 AM
Hi Chris:

Thx for changing the thread title on the main screen.

Bob

Christopher Mallon
09-15-2008, 11:24 AM
Yup, looks like it's only moderators or above in this version.

Bob Armstrong
10-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Hi Chris:

On the home page, at the bottom, it shows :

" Members " - 177
" Active " Members - 151

What distinguishes an " active " member from an " inactive " one?

Thanks.

Bob

Christopher Mallon
10-09-2008, 05:33 AM
Someone who has visited the site in the last 30 days I believe.

Bob Armstrong
10-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Hi Chris:

Thanks for the quick reply.

Bob

Bob Armstrong
12-08-2008, 01:03 AM
Hi Chris:

This may have been raised before. The Calendar only goes to December 2006. The CFC should have a working calendar people can use and refer to.

I wanted to post the notice by Alex Ferreira of the Toronto Hart House Holidays Open tournament this Dec. 19-21, and couldn't. Not good.

Bob

Egidijus Zeromskis
12-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Chris, add the diagram tag as well ;)