PDA

View Full Version : The CFC Regular Chess Post – March 23/12 – Calling All Organizers – Quick Chess!

Bob Armstrong
03-23-2012, 12:33 AM
The CFC Regular Chess Post – March 23/12 – Calling All Organizers – Quick Chess!

5 Reasons why holding a “ Quick Chess “ Tournament is a good idea!!

1. It can be held in only one day, or even part of a day:
2. You can now tailor the time control to the no. of rounds you want, since the time control can be anything between Game/59 and Game/5 ( and less if increments );
3. Some new players often don't intend to play that much during their first year, or are just trying it to see if they like tournament chess, and balk a bit at getting a full year CFC Membership ( $ 48 with tax in Ontario ). So promote the frugal alternative to CFC membership – the one-time tournament playing fee. And tell them about the “ Quick Chess “ Discount: the CFC portion of a one-time "tournament playing fee " is cut in half for quick chess ( the provincial portion is not ) : adult - to $8 – so, in Ontario, they will play for $12, instead of $ 20, like under the old “ active “ rating system; junior - $4 - so, in Ontario, they will play for $6, instead of $ 10, like under the old “ active “ rating system;
4. The rating fee for quick chess is one-half the normal rating fee - only $ 1.50 per player ( instead of the regular $3 ).
5. OTB chess offers an experience that cannot be compared to internet chess; advertise that in OTB chess, you can see the “ white’s of the eyes “ of the opponent!

Pretty reasonable to get an OTB rated tournament, especially compared to the cost of the old " active " tournaments! The non-CFC playing public will respond – bring in new players to OTB tournament chess! Increase the size of your tournaments!

Bob Armstrong, CFC Public Relations Coordinator
CFC Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/notes.php?id=628805206&drafts#!/group.php?gid=10564098798
CFC Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/ChessCanada

Bob Gillanders
03-23-2012, 10:17 AM
Thanks Bob, Fred, and Paul for developing the new CFC Quick rating system. As you know, the Mississauga Junior Club has its own rating system which works well for our needs. Many of our kids are at the beginner level and a CFC rating would be meaningless. As they improve, they enjoy moving up from a yellow card (<400) to a blue card (<700) and finally to a red card(>700). I believe our junior club ratings are roughly equivalent to CFC ratings.

To introduce our kids to tournament play conditions and to promote skill development, we have asked the top 8 boards to keep a game score and to play with a clock. The time control is game in 25. Some resisted these new conditions, but a little gentle persuasion won the day. Games from the top 8 boards for the last two tournaments (12 weeks) will be submitted for Quick ratings next week. 34 kids made it to the top 8 boards in the last 12 weeks. A few of them already have either a CFC or CMA rating, but for most it will be their first national chess rating. I believe they will be encouraged to compete on the top 8 boards to improve their Quick rating.

I would encourage all junior tournament organizers to embrace the Quick rating system. It is more appropriate to the typical junior tournament (game<60) than the CFC regular rating system, and I predict in time it will become the new normal. The kids can then look forward to a more accurate CFC regular rating when they begin playing with the adults or high level youth tournaments with long time controls. But hey, some may decide that CMA or their own club ratings works best for them. Whatever works for you.

I just know there will be some excitement and lots of questions next week at the Mississauga Junior club about the new Quick Ratings. :D

Kevin Pacey
03-31-2012, 06:46 AM
While I don't have authorization to start a fresh thread in the CFC News Forum, I wish to indicate here that the 2012 RA Winter Active was rated by the CFC this week, and [edit: presumably] re-named the RA Winter Quick by the CFC office:

http://chess.ca/crosstable?tournament_check_number=201203048&key=120331

(Didn't know if you got my private message about posting it, Bob A.)

Bob Armstrong
03-31-2012, 09:18 AM
Hi Kevin:

Thanks for posting about your " Quick Chess " tournament. I agree it is important to highlight quick tournaments so that the idea starts to catch on. I'm glad you did it ( sorry I missed your PM on it ). I hope more organizers will follow Ottawa RC CC's example.

Bob