PDA

View Full Version : 17. Results of voting - "all the details"

Lyle Craver
01-07-2012, 09:48 PM
Before giving the results, I am advised by the President that motions 2012-I, 2012-J constitutional amendments requiring a 2/3 majority plus minimum quorum (the quorum is achieved).

Here are the results of voting:

Motion 2012-G

YES (28) Aris Marghetis Bob Gillanders Chris Felix Christopher Mallon Egidijus Zeromskis Ellen Nadeau Fred McKim Gordon Ritchie Halldor P. Palsson Ilia Bluvshtein Ken Craft Ken Einarsson Kevin Pacey Les Bunning Lyle Craver Lynn Stringer Mark S. Dutton, I.A. Michael Barron Nikolay Noritsyn Patrick McDonald Paul Leblanc Peter Stockhausen Pierre Dénommée Rob Clark Robert Laszlo Simon Ong Valer Eugen Demian Vladimir Drkulec

NO (1) Bob Armstrong

ABSTAIN (1) Michael von Keitz

MOTION PASSES

MOTION 2012-I

YES (17) Bob Armstrong Chris Felix Christopher Field Ellen Nadeau Fred McKim Hugh Brodie Ken Einarsson Lynn Stringer Michael Barron Nikolay Noritsyn Patrick McDonald Paul Leblanc Pierre Dénommée Rob Clark Simon Ong Valer Eugen Demian Vladimir Drkulec

NO (11) Christopher Mallon Egidijus Zeromskis Gordon Ritchie Hal Bond Halldor P. Palsson Ilia Bluvshtein Kevin Pacey Lyle Craver Mark S. Dutton, I.A. Peter Stockhausen Robert Laszlo

ABSTAIN (5) Aris Marghetis Bob Gillanders Ken Craft Les Bunning Michael von Keitz

MOTION FAILS

MOTION 2012-J

YES (4) Bob Armstrong Fred McKim Nikolay Noritsyn Patrick McDonald

NO (24) Aris Marghetis Christopher Field Christopher Mallon Egidijus Zeromskis Gordon Ritchie Hal Bond Halldor P. Palsson Hugh Brodie Ilia Bluvshtein Ken Craft Ken Einarsson Kevin Pacey Les Bunning Lyle Craver Lynn Stringer Mark S. Dutton, I.A. Michael Barron Paul Leblanc Peter Stockhausen Pierre Dénommée Rob Clark Robert Laszlo Valer Eugen Demian Vladimir Drkulec

ABSTAIN (5) Bob Gillanders Chris Felix Ellen Nadeau Michael von Keitz Simon Ong

MOTION FAILS

MOTION 2012-K

YES (15) Bob Armstrong Bob Gillanders Chris Felix Ellen Nadeau Ilia Bluvshtein Les Bunning Michael Barron Nikolay Noritsyn Patrick McDonald Paul Leblanc Robert Laszlo Simon Ong Valer Eugen Demian Vladimir Birarov Vladimir Drkulec
NO (15) Aris Marghetis Christopher Field Christopher Mallon Egidijus Zeromskis Fred McKim Halldor P. Palsson Ken Craft Ken Einarsson Kevin Pacey Lyle Craver Lynn Stringer Mark S. Dutton, I.A. Peter Stockhausen Pierre Dénommée Rob Clark

ABSTAIN (3) Hal Bond Hugh Brodie Michael von Keitz

As a tie vote, the President casts his deciding vote as now making the final count 15 - 16 - 2 and the motion fails.

MOTION FAILS

MOTION 2012-M

YES (26) Aris Marghetis Bob Armstrong Bob Gillanders Chris Felix Christopher Field Christopher Mallon Egidijus Zeromskis Ellen Nadeau Fred McKim Halldor P. Palsson Hugh Brodie Ilia Bluvshtein Ken Craft Ken Einarsson Kevin Pacey Lyle Craver Lynn Stringer Mark S. Dutton, I.A. Michael Barron Nikolay Noritsyn Patrick McDonald Pierre Dénommée Rob Clark Simon Ong Valer Eugen Demian Vladimir Drkulec

NO (3) Les Bunning Paul Leblanc Robert Laszlo

ABSTAIN (2) Michael von Keitz Peter Stockhausen

MOTION PASSES

MOTION 2012-N

YES (29) Aris Marghetis Bob Armstrong Bob Gillanders Chris Felix Christopher Field Christopher Mallon Egidijus Zeromskis Ellen Nadeau Fred McKim Hugh Brodie Ilia Bluvshtein Ken Craft Ken Einarsson Kevin Pacey Les Bunning Lyle Craver Lynn Stringer Mark S. Dutton, I.A. Michael Barron Nikolay Noritsyn Patrick McDonald Paul Leblanc Peter Stockhausen Pierre Dénommée Rob Clark Robert Laszlo Simon Ong Valer Eugen Demian Vladimir Drkulec

NO (1) Halldor P. Palsson

ABSTAIN (1) Michael von Keitz

MOTION PASSES

MOTION 2012-O

YES (6) Christopher Field Egidijus Zeromskis Ellen Nadeau Halldor P. Palsson Nikolay Noritsyn Simon Ong

NO (23) Aris Marghetis Bob Armstrong Bob Gillanders Chris Felix Christopher Mallon Fred McKim Hal Bond Hugh Brodie Ken Craft Ken Einarsson Kevin Pacey Lyle Craver Lynn Stringer Mark S. Dutton, I.A. Michael Barron Patrick McDonald Paul Leblanc Peter Stockhausen Pierre Dénommée Rob Clark Robert Laszlo Valer Eugen Demian Vladimir Drkulec

ABSTAIN (3) Ilia Bluvshtein Les Bunning Michael von Keitz

MOTION FAILS

MOTION 2012-P

YES (18) Bob Armstrong Bob Gillanders Christopher Mallon Ellen Nadeau Fred McKim Gordon Ritchie Ilia Bluvshtein Ken Craft Ken Einarsson Kevin Pacey Lynn Stringer Mark S. Dutton, I.A. Michael Barron Patrick McDonald Paul Leblanc Pierre Dénommée Simon Ong Valer Eugen Demian

NO (10) Aris Marghetis Chris Felix Christopher Field Halldor P. Palsson Hugh Brodie Lyle Craver Peter Stockhausen Rob Clark Robert Laszlo Vladimir Drkulec

ABSTAIN (4) Egidijus Zeromskis Les Bunning Michael von Keitz Nikolay Noritsyn

MOTION PASSES

Thank you all for your participation in the debates and for your votes.

Lyle Craver
Secretary, Chess Federation of Canada

(PS. I have edited the votes for 2012-K as on the yes side I only had 13 votes in my original posting with Messrs. Birarov and Drkulec left out. Both were cast properly and it seems to be a defect of copying and pasting from the Admin control panel. Apologies to these two gents for the omission)

Christopher Mallon
01-07-2012, 10:33 PM
It's not clear to me why 2012-P is a constitutional motion. Of course the movers didn't list the exact sections of the handbook that were being modified so it's hard to tell either way, but I would have thought it would be possible to do that motion only modifying the regulations.

Christopher Mallon
01-07-2012, 10:34 PM
Also, why is 2012-N listed as failing despite a 29-1 vote?

Lyle Craver
01-07-2012, 10:53 PM
Because I goofed and have now fixed my report.

Any motion that amends sections 1 or 2 in the Handbook are constitutional amendments which is why if a proposal can be dealt with outside sections 1 and 2 it probably should be.

I am expressing my personal opinion here but I believe there have been several proposals in the past few years that could have been handled differently than they were in this respect.

Christopher Mallon
01-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Well I understand what in general makes a motion a constitutional amendment, I don't understand what was in 2012-P that triggered that decision.

It really should have been posted that it was a constitutional amendment. The others were obvious as they stated what exactly they were modifying. It seems to me that 2012-P is modifying Section 7 of the bylaws which would not be constitutional.

If you want to quibble over the discounted membership fees, I cite By-Law #1, Section 10, which states that any modification to the membership fees is done by Ordinary Resolution of the Assembly of Governors.

So I see nothing in 2012-P that would make it a constitutional amendment, and therefore it should carry.

Bob Armstrong
01-07-2012, 11:53 PM
Mr. President, Chair of the Meeting

Procedural Challenge - I ask that the Assembly overturn the Chair's ruling that Motion 2012 P is a " constitutional " motion requiring a 2/3 majority. As I understand it, the challenge does not require a seconder. However, if I am wrong on this, I will seek out a seconder so this challenge can be voted on by the Assembly.

Consequence of Successful Challenge - the motion would pass since it garnered over 50% of the vote.

Commentary:

1. To be a constitutional motion, it must seek to amend one of the CFC's 3 By-laws:

From Motion 2010-18, passed at the 2010 AGM, re constitutional amendments:

2. The section [ of By-law # 3, section 3 ( a ) ] as amended is clear:

3. Any amendment or revision of these By-Laws; any matter pertaining to any internationalagreement between the Federation and any international or foreign Chess Federation or Association; and any matter pertaining to the payment of dues to the Fédération International des Échecs may be made,
(a) at any Annual Meeting or Governors' On-line Meeting of the Assembly, providing that a notice of intention to submit such matter to a vote has been received by the Secretary at least 30 days prior to the date of such Annual Meeting or Governors' On-line Meeting and has been transmitted by the Secretary to each Governor at least 14 days prior to the date of such Annual Meeting or Governors' On-line Meeting and that any resolution pertaining to such matter shall be approved by at least a two-thirds majority of the votes of those present and entitled to vote, including proxy votes.

2. Nowhere in By-laws # 1, # 2 nor # 3 is there any reference to an active or blitz rating system. So the Motion 2012-P is clearly outside of the By-laws and not a " constitutional " amendment.

3. Amending the Rules and Regulations of the CFC ( section 2 of the Handbook ) is in my view not a " constitutional " issue, since we are not amending " By-laws ". If the Motion 2012-P falls under it, then it is not a " constitutional " motion. In fact however, there is also no reference to a rating system in that section of the Handbook either.

4. There is a section 3 of the Handbook that deals with " Motions Applicable to No Other Section ". Amending any motion there, or adding a motion there, would not be a " constitutional " amendment. I could not locate a motion there dealing with the rating systems. But it is my view, that that is where Motion 2012-P would have been placed had it passed. Therefore, it is not a " constitutional " amendment.

I ask the Assembly to therefore overturn the Chair's ruling on this motion, and to have the secretary then declare that Motion 2012-P passes.

Bob A

Michael von Keitz
01-08-2012, 12:00 AM
No need. I accept the ruling was incorrect and 2012-P passes. I've just arrived in Kingston, or I would have dealt with this sooner. My apologies!

Egidijus Zeromskis
01-08-2012, 12:17 AM
"all the details"

Missing short titles for motions.
I understand that chess players remember openings E97, B04 or C54, but not "MOTION 2012-K" (at least not me) :)

For passed motions - green color would be more appropriate.

Bob Armstrong
01-08-2012, 12:57 AM
No need. I accept the ruling was incorrect and 2012-P passes. I've just arrived in Kingston, or I would have dealt with this sooner. My apologies!

My thanks to Michael for quickly correcting the incorrect ruling, and doing so quite graciously.

I feel this new “ quick chess “ idea will slowly but steadily take hold, and become a very strong marketing tool for CFC for getting full CFC memberships.

Bob A

Lyle Craver
01-08-2012, 01:56 AM
OK in light of Michael's ruling I have altered the announcements. LC

Michael Barron
01-08-2012, 02:07 PM
Mr. President, Chair of the Meeting

Procedural Challenge - I ask that the Assembly overturn the Chair's ruling that Motion 2012-K is a " constitutional " motion requiring a 2/3 majority. As I understand it, the challenge does not require a seconder. However, if I am wrong on this, I will seek out a seconder so this challenge can be voted on by the Assembly.

Commentary:

1. To be a constitutional motion, it must seek to amend one of the CFC's 3 By-laws:

From Motion 2010-18, passed at the 2010 AGM, re constitutional amendments:

"The section [ of By-law # 3, section 3 ( a ) ] as amended is clear:

Any amendment or revision of these By-Laws; any matter pertaining to any international agreement between the Federation and any international or foreign Chess Federation or Association; and any matter pertaining to the payment of dues to the Fédération International des Échecs may be made,
(a) at any Annual Meeting or Governors' On-line Meeting of the Assembly, providing that a notice of intention to submit such matter to a vote has been received by the Secretary at least 30 days prior to the date of such Annual Meeting or Governors' On-line Meeting and has been transmitted by the Secretary to each Governor at least 14 days prior to the date of such Annual Meeting or Governors' On-line Meeting and that any resolution pertaining to such matter shall be approved by at least a two-thirds majority of the votes of those present and entitled to vote, including proxy votes."

2. Nowhere in By-laws # 1, # 2 nor # 3 is there any reference to prizes awarded to Canadian Junior winners. So the Motion 2012-K is clearly outside of the By-laws and not a " constitutional " amendment.

3. There is a section 10 of the Handbook that deals with " Canadian Junior Chess Championship ". Amending any motion there, or adding a motion there, would not be a " constitutional " amendment. Therefore, it is not a " constitutional " amendment.

I ask the Assembly to therefore overturn the Chair's ruling on this motion.

Christopher Mallon
01-08-2012, 04:29 PM
I thought 2012-J should have been the constitutional motion rather than 2012-K, maybe that was a typo?

Bob Armstrong
01-08-2012, 06:42 PM
I thought 2012-J should have been the constitutional motion rather than 2012-K, maybe that was a typo?

Hi Chris:

Clearly 2012-J was " constitutional ".

Bob

Michael von Keitz
01-09-2012, 10:43 AM
Yes, it seems I should have taken a second look before sending that missive off to Lyle. Obviously, it was J, not K to which I meant to refer. In any event, K is defeated. I have the tie-breaking vote and I am also in favour of a "use it or lose it" policy. I'm hoping that wraps up the outstanding issues. I'll check again late tonight, once I complete the final leg of my triangular route through eastern Ontario.