PDA

View Full Version : 18d. Proposal for a Canadian Chess Club League (Profit)

Fred McKim
01-01-2012, 01:47 PM
This thread concerns a Canadian Club League as most of us heard about last summer. It's not a coincidence that this comes at the same time as the Porper proposal, as in the course of talking to Edward I contacted Brian to see where things were with his project. I decided to present both of these proposals at this meeting for discussion.

I am going to put the proposal from him on the public forum to allow him to participate in discussion and answer questions.

What follows is the introduction I sent to the rest of the Executive earlier this month.

====

I am attaching a proposal from Brian Profit to start a Canadian (CFC) Chess League. I’d like to call it the Canadian Chess Club League, to at least for the time being keep it separate from the Porper proposal I sent earlier. Should the Canadian Chess Team Championship (CCTC) get off the ground, it is thought by myself and Edward that this League of Brian's could/would be the Qualifier.

Brian has basically given the framework under which this totally on-line League would operate and play the games. The basic mechanism has already been shown to work, as it is very similar to the US Chess League, which I believe has been running for about 6 years.

One of the major differences in this proposal, is that it is essentially all inclusive, as teams from any clubs or schools in Canada could be formed and divisions or conferences set up to put similar rated or aged teams in the same grouping. This could do wonders for the grass roots movement I think a majority of our "critics" have been looking for.

When this was presented back in July and got a lot of talk on CT, I think everyone assumed it would have started up in the fall, but due to technical difficulties it fell by the wayside until I contacted Brian, while doing some groundwork for Edward’s proposal. I think the original concept was for a non-CFC event, but we’ve agreed to go with CFC rated play, which may require a discussion in itself.

I think that we can house Brian on the present web site, and he can be trained to do all the data entry on his own. Having some practice matches in the spring will be a good introduction to the process for all of us.

While he doesn’t mention it in the proposal, I think we should consider approving the concept for a fall CCC League, with Brian appointed as Commissioner. I also think that up fronting him $200 for a spring winner take all mini-league (perhaps among the four highest-rated teams that apply) would be a good dry run.

Paul Leblanc
01-02-2012, 02:54 PM
I would feel better if all games had a TD or witness present to certify that no one was cheating when the games are played via the internet. See my agenda item on rating internet games.

Pierre Dénommée
01-03-2012, 11:51 PM
Paul, the Canadian League must be over the board games in order to maintain the norm chances. FIDE does permits norms without foreign players in a National Team Championships, but Internet Games are never valid for norms. This norm possibility is the main reason to organise another National Championship.

Outside of the norm context, I am not opposed to CFC rated games played with an arbiter at both ends.