PDA

View Full Version : 13. 2012-M Governor Participation Motion (Chris Mallon)

Lyle Craver
12-31-2011, 05:06 PM
Governor Participation Reports
Moved Chris Mallon, Seconded Lyle Craver

Modify Handbook Rules and Regulations, Article 1, Paragraph 8, which currently reads:

“8. On or before the 15th day of May in each year, the Federation Secretary shall issue a Certificate to each Provincial Organization certifying to the number of Per Capita Fee payments and Life Memberships credited to that Organization, and certifying to the number of appointees who may be nominated by such organization to the Assembly for the next ensuing term of office. “

And append to that paragraph:

“Accompanying that certificate the Secretary will provide a spreadsheet breakdown including meetings attended/missed and recorded votes for each motion by each Governor for that province. Both this spreadsheet and the number of Governors each province can appoint for the following year will also be posted publicly on the Federation’s discussion board in a list that will include all Governors, Provincial, At-Large and Life.”

Commentary: We keep getting Governors put in every year who do nothing for the whole year. While this will not directly solve that problem, they will at least be doing nothing publicly which may either encourage them to participate, or encourage someone else to take their place.

Fred McKim
01-01-2012, 03:46 PM
Lyle: This sounds like a lot of extra work, unless you already have such a spreadsheet constructed.

Christopher Mallon
01-01-2012, 07:25 PM
The wording might sound a little awkward but Lyle - at least in the past - did have a report like this already.

Lyle Craver
01-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Well yes and no - I have a spreadsheet covering the Governors' Letters one per year going back as long as I've been Secretary. I've never done such a spreadsheet for the Online Meetings but could using a similar format.

It's a basic Excel spreadsheet which has gone to the Executive at the end of the year.

I'd be happy to do such a spreadsheet for the QOGM's but would be unhappy being asked to break it down by province - right now the list is in alphabetical order by surname and it would be a simple matter to sort by province as well.

Publishing a single spreadsheet is no big deal - publishing 10 would be more daunting. By the way - I've found out the hard way last October that vBulletin does NOT allow uploading of .xls documents - it will accept .doc and .pdf. Go figure...

Christopher Mallon
01-01-2012, 07:37 PM
It doesn't say you can't send the same document to all 10 provinces... as long as the info for that province is included in the file, that's fine.

I can probably allow Execs to post .xls files... in general you don't want to allow it because of viruses, just let me know how big of a file you need as I have to set the limit.

Lyle Craver
01-02-2012, 04:25 AM
The present size limit you have in place for .doc and .pdf files (sorry can't remember what it is) is just fine - I tried to upload the 2011-12 Governor calculation file as .xls to the forum last spring as there were a number of proposals at the time for changing how Governors were to be calculated and I wanted to give Governors the statistics to try out various options for themselves. In the end I got frustrated and converted it to PDF and uploaded that.

From a technical point of view the main way people get viruses from .doc and .xls files is when .exe files are deliberately mis-labelled as .doc and .xls and plenty of people (including myself) will routinely click on them to open them with Word or Excel ... except it ISN'T a Word or Excel document and by the time people realize what is going on the damage is done. I've read it's possible to create macros in both programs that will fire up 'malware' (the generic term for bad software of all sorts of which viruses are but one kind) that will execute when the Word / Excel file is opened but these are rarer than just misidentifying the file type.

Moral of the story - only click on files whose source you trust!

Egidijus Zeromskis
01-02-2012, 09:52 AM
It is more simple to post data as a tabulated HTML at chess.ca.

Lyle Craver
01-03-2012, 01:42 AM
Assuming this motion passes it sounds like I need to be in touch with our website people to see what method of input works best for them. Excel CAN save as .htm - whether it's easily adaptable by them for upload or whether they prefer some other format remains to be seen.

Christopher Mallon
01-03-2012, 01:49 AM
Everyone assume for the purposes of the motion that the technical details can be easily worked out, then.

Egidijus Zeromskis
01-03-2012, 10:11 AM
While I can't remember if any secret ballot was performed in the CFC voting, but if such would took place, this motion would reveal choices:
"recorded votes for each motion"

Maybe the text should ask only on a voting activity - participated or not.

Ken Craft
01-03-2012, 10:14 AM
I like the intent of the motion. Provincial associations should be apprised of how active their governors have been in the previous year.

Christopher Mallon
01-03-2012, 10:37 AM
AFAIK the only secret ballots are the elections at the AGM, and that's in fact only tradition and not specified in the handbook.

It's also a lousy tradition as secret ballots and proxies don't always mix well as I've discovered myself a couple of times.

Lyle Craver
01-03-2012, 04:52 PM
AFAIK the only secret ballots are the elections at the AGM, and that's in fact only tradition and not specified in the handbook.

Actually most Governor ballots are 'semi-secret' - secret till the end of the voting period with who voted how being revealed after the close of voting.

This is different from a "show of hands" (similar to the vBulletin 'open ballot') as hands often go from up to down or vice versa during the vote before the final count is made. vBulletin doesn't let you change your vote once cast but a true secret vote would be just like a federal / provincial election where you know the count but not who voted how.

I like the system the CFC uses of 'public after the close of voting but closed till then' as it gives everyone a chance to vote without undue influence but to not have to depend on the vote counter's integrity (which I've never seen challenged in the CFC but HAVE seen challenged provincially)

There's no perfect system but I would strongly not like to see Governor motions dealt with in vBulletin 'open votes' where the results are seen as the voting progresses. What we do now works fine and if it isn't broke why would we "fix" it?

Egidijus Zeromskis
01-05-2012, 10:42 AM
be posted publicly on the Federation’s discussion board

IMHO, the information should be on the CFC website. If anybody is willing to discuss, the thread could be started anywhere.

If the motion would pass I'll move to change the bold text to "website". (I think it is too late to make an amendment now.)

I have the same opinion about the Olympics ratings too. It should be on the CFC website, and maybe every three month in Newsletters.

Lyle Craver
01-07-2012, 10:57 PM
Now that the motion has passed I will be going to my 2011-12 spreadsheet and entering both the October and January voting results. It'll be a bit of work but nothing I can't handle!

Christopher Mallon
01-07-2012, 11:00 PM
Lyle, you and I can experiment sometime with it and find an easy but clear way of getting it posted to the forum.

What version of Excel are you using?