PDA

View Full Version : 4. Instructions/Questions/Comments on the On-line Meeting Procedures

Lyle Craver
12-31-2011, 04:37 PM
This forum is the January 2012 Quarterly Governors' meeting of the Chess Federation of Canada. These started in 2010 as a result of a Governor's motion and have continued and grown since then and our feedback from previous meetings have been generally positive.

For the benefit of Governors attending one of these meetings for the first time let me explain the ground rules - each message thread in the meeting is a separate agenda item with the agenda itself being item #1. There are several motions before this meeting - these are agenda items 7 through 15. Voting starts on day 5 and continues to the end of the meeting. These will be agenda items 16a,b,c,d etc. (the software only allows one poll per thread) and will be made a 'sticky' which for the uninitiated simply means a message semi-permanently at the top of the list of topics when you sign in.

(By default, message threads will display in the order of the agenda - you can change this if you choose)

As per CFC rules, Governor voting is secret ballot with the results to be announced (including who voted which way) after the close of voting. I will try to expedite getting the announcement posted as quickly as possible during the time of voting. Normally midnight on the last day is the close of voting - though the president has extended meetings previously when there were important amendments to be voted.

In the voting threads there is to be NO DISCUSSION of the issues and any such message posting will be deleted without notice - the place for discussion is in the discussion topics which will remain open during the voting period.

Technical questions on procedure belong in this message thread and we'll try to answer them as quickly as possible.

Other than that, behave like you would in a face to face meeting and most of all, have fun!

Christopher Mallon
01-01-2012, 10:20 PM
Lyle, one issue I have with all the reports being in two threads (exec/committees) is that discussing them is difficult. You even specifically say at the start of the thread that it is reserved for those reports and nobody else should post.

I would suggest a separate thread for each, so that we can discuss them if need be.

Thanks!

Lyle Craver
01-02-2012, 04:28 AM
The reason I do it that way is that Executive members have the forum permission to create new threads while Governors do not. Plus the fact that Executive reports tend to generate more discussion.

I don't have a big problem with creating threads for people with reports - originally we did have separate threads for each but meeting after meeting there was no report from several and Governors were complaining about that too...

Christopher Mallon
01-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Perhaps if/when a report is posted, you can cross-post it into its own thread?

Paul Leblanc
01-02-2012, 02:56 PM
I'm not getting any comments on my agenda item 5.b Rating Internet Games, possibly because it is embedded with the non-executive officer reports.

Paul Leblanc
01-02-2012, 02:58 PM
I should have said 6.b, not 5.b

Lyle Craver
01-02-2012, 05:35 PM
Would you like it moved to New Business as a "(For Discussion)" item?

(Sorry about the prefix but some Governors get upset if they don't get to vote on an item not so marked)

Bob Armstrong
01-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Hi Lyle:

This is not a meeting problem, but I have just lost my right to access the Governors' Discussion Board. It no longer comes up as an option, along with the meeting link!
Can you or Chris investigate what has happened and put me back on the list of those accessing? Thx.

Bob

Aris Marghetis
01-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Hi Lyle:

This is not a meeting problem, but I have just lost my right to access the Governors' Discussion Board. It no longer comes up as an option, along with the meeting link!
Can you or Chris investigate what has happened and put me back on the list of those accessing? Thx.

Bob
Ditto for me ... :(

Bob Gillanders
01-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Hey Bob and Aris,

Have you guys been naughty? :)

I just posted there, and it's working for me okay.
Is anyone else having trouble?

Paul Leblanc
01-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Yes, Lyle that would be great

Bob Armstrong
01-02-2012, 11:10 PM
The powers that be punish without explanation - seems somewhat arbitrary to me most of the time!! Especially when it's me that's in duck soup!

Bob A

Lyle Craver
01-03-2012, 01:32 AM
Yes we had some technical problems earlier today which are now resolved.

Comments about 'punishment' are unfair and unhelpful and don't make it easier with respect to keeping things on track.

Ellen Nadeau
01-03-2012, 02:44 PM
Is there a youth coordinator report somewhere which I missed?
Ellen

Christopher Mallon
01-04-2012, 08:51 AM
Lyle, one issue I have with all the reports being in two threads (exec/committees) is that discussing them is difficult. You even specifically say at the start of the thread that it is reserved for those reports and nobody else should post.

I would suggest a separate thread for each, so that we can discuss them if need be.

Thanks!

Lyle I never saw an answer to this, I would like to respond to a report or two, and you specifically say not to do that in the Committee report thread, but there is no place provided to do so otherwise.

Bob Armstrong
01-08-2012, 04:11 PM
Hi Lyle:

Could you advise me at what time this meeting will end today ( I thought it was Sunday it was to end? ). And will Michael be giving a closing address?

Thx.

Bob A

Lyle Craver
01-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Michael is working on his closing statement and meeting threads will be closed as and when I'm directed to do so.

So fair (I'm working from memory here) the only threads that are closed are those relating to voting and Governor sign-in.

No question the Online Meeting process is an exhausting week for the president and secretary but we do try to stay on top of things - but I was on several times yesterday though I slept in this morning and did not get a chance before work this morning.

Anyone who knows the ruling on 2012-K knows the president and I have been here.