View Full Version : 21A2 "The Voting Booth" Motion 2012-A-2

Lyle Craver
10-05-2011, 02:47 AM
Here is the second half of the revised 21A motion:

=== Motion 2 ===

"Motion 2011 – A – Participation in the Canadian Youth Chess Championships

Moved - Michael Barron; Seconded – Bob Armstrong

Moved –

a) the title of Section 10 of the CFC Handbook, “ Invitational Youth Championships: Junior, Cadet “, is deleted and replaced by “ Canadian Youth and Junior Chess Championships “.

b) the title of p. 1000 of the CFC Handbook, “ Events: “, is deleted and replaced by “ Canadian Youth Chess Championship: “.

c) p. 1001 of Section 10, is deleted, and replaced by:
1001. Frequency:
A Tournament shall normally be held each year to determine Canadian Champions and Canadian representatives to all international youth chess competitions.

d) in p. 1002. Format, the words “ three days “ are deleted, and replaced by “ up to four days “.

f) p. 1051 of Section 10, is deleted, and replaced by:
1051. Canadian Junior Chess Championship:
A Tournament known as the Canadian Junior Chess Championship hereinafter referred to as the Junior Tournament shall normally be held each year to determine the Canadian representative to the World Junior Chess Championship and consist of 2 sections - Open and Girls. When there are less than eight girls, then the sections shall be combined.

g) in p. 1052. Format, the words “eight round tournament held over four days “ are deleted, and replaced by “nine round tournament held over five days “.

Christopher Mallon
10-05-2011, 06:39 AM
Lyle or Michael, technical question. I believe we have two different motions modifying p. 1051. One should probably have been made an amendment of the other, but in any case what's the procedure if they both pass?

Vlad Rekhson
10-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Lyle or Michael, technical question. I believe we have two different motions modifying p. 1051. One should probably have been made an amendment of the other, but in any case what's the procedure if they both pass?

Seemed to me that there were four different motions jammed together here. I would have voted yes for the first couple but this completely contradicts what we are doing for the 2012 Canadian Junior.

Michael von Keitz
10-05-2011, 06:19 PM

If they both pass, the section will be worded as such:

A Tournament known as the Canadian Junior Chess Championship hereinafter referred to as the Junior Tournament shall normally be held each year to determine that year's Canadian Junior Champion and consist of 2 sections - Open and Girls. When there are less than eight girls, then the sections shall be combined. The winner of the Junior Tournament will also be the Canadian representative to the World Junior Chess Championship.

The floor is open to a challenge of this ruling. My alternative would be for the constitution to consist of two p. 1051s, where the discrepancy can be corrected by a motion put forward at the next quarterly meeting.

Christopher Mallon
10-05-2011, 06:25 PM
So, to clarify, you are suggesting that the other motion would overrule this one?

Michael von Keitz
10-05-2011, 06:32 PM
So, to clarify, you are suggesting that the other motion would overrule this one?

I guess you can look at it that way, though I don't think it loses the meaning of what either motion was aiming to achieve.