PDA

View Full Version : Straw vote topic #1

Lyle Craver
10-04-2011, 11:42 AM
The President has requested 4 Straw votes of the Governors to gauge opinion. Here's #1:

Fred McKim
10-04-2011, 12:10 PM
I think you are meaning to say use their prize for an alternate tournament should they so desire.

Michael von Keitz
10-05-2011, 01:40 AM
It's odd how that was cut-off. You're correct, Fred. Specifically, the question was whether the Junior Champ should be permitted to use their prize towards attending the PanAm Junior, instead of the World Junior.

Michael Barron
10-06-2011, 11:41 PM
It's odd how that was cut-off. You're correct, Fred. Specifically, the question was whether the Junior Champ should be permitted to use their prize towards attending the PanAm Junior, instead of the World Junior.

We probably need a clarification to understand the problem.

Some years ago we had significant difficulties organizing Canadian Junior due to lack of players' interest.
As a Chief Organizer of 2008 Canadian Junior I had to announce that the Junior Champ could use their prize towards attending other major international event, instead of the World Junior.
This decision helped us to save 2008 Canadian Junior.

Yes, such approach has a drawback - it's possible that Canada won't be represented at the World Junior.
But I believe, it's a lesser evil than having to cancel Canadian Junior due to lack of players.

Now it looks like Canadian Junior has regained its appeal, but we still need to encourage more girls to participate, and permission to use their prize towards attending the PanAm Junior, instead of the World Junior, could be a good incentive.

Michael von Keitz
10-09-2011, 10:18 PM
YES - 11 (Christopher Field, Ilia Bluvshtein, Ken Einarsson, Ken Jensen, Kevin Pacey, Les Bunning, Michael Barron, Nikolay Noritsyn, Rob Clark, Valer Eugen Demian, Vladimir Drkulec)

NO - 14 (Aris Marghetis, Bob Armstrong, Bob Gillanders, Christopher Mallon, Egidijus Zeromskis, Fred McKim, Halldor P. Palsson, Ken Craft, Lyle Craver, Mark S. Dutton, I.A., Patrick McDonald, Pierre Dénommée, Robert Laszlo, Vlad Rekhson)

ABSTAIN - 1 (Michael von Keitz)

Based on this feedback, the 2012 Canadian Junior (Girls) Champion will not be permitted to use their prize for travel to the PanAm Junior.