PDA

View Full Version : 17. Canadian Junior regulations Motion 2012-E

Lyle Craver
09-30-2011, 05:00 AM
(Moved / Seconded Egidijus Zeromskis / Michael Barron

To amend the Handbook section Rules of procedure for The Canadian Junior Championship Tournament with a line:

The winner of the Tournament will be that year’s Canadian Junior Champion.

The paragraph would be read as

1051. Frequency:

A Tournament known as the Canadian Junior Championship Tournament hereinafter referred to as the Junior Tournament shall normally be held each year to determine the Canadian representative to the World Junior Chess Championship. The winner of the Tournament will be that year’s Canadian Junior Champion.

Rationale: the event regulations sound more like a qualifier, than a CHAMPIONSHIP where a title won too.

(Ed. note: this motion was originally presented by Mr. Zeromskis on his AGM proxy but did not get to the floor of the AGM)

Bob Armstrong
10-04-2011, 05:07 PM
This section again mixes up priorities - the main purpose of the tournament is to determine a " CANADIAN " Junior Champion. Only secondarily, is the winner the Canadian Representative to the World Junior Chess Championship.

So I MOVE that the wording of motion 2012-E be deleted, and there be substituted the following new paragraph 1051:

" 1051. Frequency:

A Tournament known as the Canadian Junior Championship Tournament hereinafter referred to as the Junior Tournament shall normally be held each year to determine that year’s Canadian Junior Champion. The winner of the Tournament will also be the Canadian representative to the World Junior Chess Championship. "

Could I please ask that someone second this amending motion?

As well, could I ask whether the mover and seconder would consider this a " friendly amendment ", and that the chair seek out from the assembly if there are " no objections " to the mover/seconder adopting the amendment proposed?

Thx.

Bob A

Michael Barron
10-04-2011, 11:46 PM
This section again mixes up priorities - the main purpose of the tournament is to determine a " CANADIAN " Junior Champion. Only secondarily, is the winner the Canadian Representative to the World Junior Chess Championship.

So I MOVE that the wording of motion 2012-E be deleted, and there be substituted the following new paragraph 1051:

" 1051. Frequency:

A Tournament known as the Canadian Junior Championship Tournament hereinafter referred to as the Junior Tournament shall normally be held each year to determine that year’s Canadian Junior Champion. The winner of the Tournament will also be the Canadian representative to the World Junior Chess Championship. "

Could I please ask that someone second this amending motion?

As well, could I ask whether the mover and seconder would consider this a " friendly amendment ", and that the chair seek out from the assembly if there are " no objections " to the mover/seconder adopting the amendment proposed?

Thx.

Bob A

Yes, Bob, I agree to consider this a " friendly amendment ".

Bob Armstrong
10-05-2011, 12:26 AM
Hi Michael:

Thx. I hope Egis feels the same.

But I fear we are too late now - voting has started and I never did get a seconder to my motion in time.

I will be bringing my motion at the 2012 Winter Meeting, to amend the section, it appears your motion will amend this meeting. If you would be so kind, I will e-mail you to second my Winter Meeting motion, since you agree with it switching the main purposes of the tournament, to make determining the Canadian Champion, the priority one.

Bob A

Christopher Mallon
10-05-2011, 06:43 AM
This whole motion should have been out of order anyway as we already have a motion on the floor dealing with p.1051. It should properly have been made as an amendment to that motion.

Michael von Keitz
10-09-2011, 11:18 PM
Bob Armstrong and Michael Barron brought forward an amendment to Canadian Junior regulations Motion 2012-E, which was not timely enough. It was pointed out by Chris Mallon that, in addition, the original motion was in conflict with another motion on the floor - an oversight that failed to be caught prior to the commencement of voting. Both Bob and Michael are currently on the agenda for the next quarterly meeting, where a motion presenting their further amendment to p.1051 will be put forward. For those wishing to see additional changes to p.1051, please work with them to present an all-encompassing motion.