PDA

View Full Version : 21D - "The Voting Booth" Motion 2012-D

Lyle Craver
09-30-2011, 04:31 AM
Please vote Yes, No or Abstain.

A friendly reminder to all Governors that discussion on the motion is NOT welcome here - this section is reserved for voting! Technical questions are welcome but postings arguing one side or another will be removed as quickly as possible. The discussion thread for this motion will remain open through the close of the meeting.

Polling will begin on the 4th at 9 pm as per rule 22A (3) (iv) (http://chess.ca/section-2)

Lyle Craver
10-04-2011, 09:41 PM
Moved / Seconded Fred McKim / Lyle Craver

[Editorial note: Governors should note that this is essentially a re-introduction of motion 2010-02 (Moved / Seconded Egidijus Zeromskis / Christopher Mallon)) with the sole exception of the removal of the clause dealing with Participating members since this type of membership was ended by a Governor vote shortly after the demise of En Passant magazine)

It is a constitutional motion since it amends sections of Bylaw One or Bylaw Two]

The Constitution change:
"JUNIOR MEMBERSHIP
9. Any person ordinarily resident in Canada who is under the age of 18, shall be granted a Junior membership or a Junior Participating Membership."

is replaced with:

"JUNIOR MEMBERSHIP

9. Any person ordinarily resident in Canada who has not reached the age of 20 by January 1st of the current year, shall be granted a Junior membership."

Lyle Craver
10-04-2011, 09:46 PM
On a personal and procedural note: I think we have an extremely clear consensus here that 'shall be granted' means 'subject to appropriate membership dues' and is not intended to mean 'shall be freely granted' - on a procedural level I would have preferred alternative wording but since that has not come forward I don't think we should spike this vote.