PDA

View Full Version : 16. Motion to change age for junior membership Motion 2012-D

Lyle Craver
09-30-2011, 04:13 AM
Moved / Seconded Fred McKim / Lyle Craver

[Editorial note: Governors should note that this is essentially a re-introduction of motion 2010-02 (Moved / Seconded Egidijus Zeromskis / Christopher Mallon)) with the sole exception of the removal of the clause dealing with Participating members since this type of membership was ended by a Governor vote shortly after the demise of En Passant magazine)

It is a constitutional motion since it amends sections of Bylaw One or Bylaw Two]

The Constitution change:
"JUNIOR MEMBERSHIP
9. Any person ordinarily resident in Canada who is under the age of 18, shall be granted a Junior membership or a Junior Participating Membership."

is replaced with:

"JUNIOR MEMBERSHIP

9. Any person ordinarily resident in Canada who has not reached the age of 20 by January 1st of the current year, shall be granted a Junior membership."

(The current text of this paragraph can be found at http://www.chess.ca/section_2.htm - please note that since this motion proposes to change paragraph 9 of the CFC Handbook this is a constitutional change and thus is subject to the rules for constitutional amendments rather tan simply an ordinary motion)

Fred McKim
09-30-2011, 07:26 AM
This motion easily passed at the time, but failed to gain the quorum needed.

Christopher Mallon
10-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Just curious... seeing the wording that way, it kinda looks like you could read it as "Everyone in Canada under 18 is granted a membership"

I'm not reading the whole handbook at the moment though, perhaps there is something higher up that would fix that?

I (sadly) had to go to the Web Archive to find our handbook, as the CFC site is down. Again. http://web.archive.org/web/20100325002111/http://chess.ca/section_2.shtml

Having read through it, I believe it could be legally interpreted that way. I suggest that we add " in place of an Ordinary Membership" to the end.

I do still support this motion.

Lyle Craver
10-01-2011, 06:40 PM
I don't like the motion's wording either for the same reasons but with the exception of deleting the clause about the discontinued Participating Membership this is word for word the wording of the original motion that you seconded Chris!

;)

Christopher Mallon
10-01-2011, 06:58 PM
I understand that Lyle. I'm not perfect! (Just close! hehehe) Can we agree that we probably SHOULD be fixing the wording now?

Lyle Craver
10-01-2011, 07:06 PM
I have no problem (as seconder) with making a 'friendly amendment' if Fred (the mover) is agreeable.

Christopher Mallon
10-01-2011, 08:16 PM
It's obvious enough that the Chair could probably just say "If I hear no objections..."

Egidijus Zeromskis
10-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Just curious... seeing the wording that way, it kinda looks like you could read it as "Everyone in Canada under 18 is granted a membership"

Not correct. (S)He is granted a Junior membership.

I suggest that we add " in place of an Ordinary Membership" to the end.

I don't think that it would change the meaning "granted".

Linguistic question: Does "granted" only mean "for free"? or Does it include a meaning "you still must pay a fee"? (in this particular case "a Junior membership fee")

Christopher Mallon
10-01-2011, 10:10 PM
This is from a dictionary for the word "Granted"

2. To accord as a favor, prerogative, or privilege: granted the franchise to all citizens.

No conditions are implied. But even if any were, why not be clear since we're modifying the section anyway? Plus, the other membership types DO mention the purchase of a membership and this one does not.

Fred McKim
10-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Chris: I'm open to any change in the wording you want to make

Pierre Dénommée
10-02-2011, 04:45 PM
9. Any person ordinarily resident in Canada who has not reached the age of 20 by January 1st of the current year, who has paid the fee determined by the Assembly of Governors and who has not been suspended or expelled by the Ethic Committee or by any other competent organ of the CFC, shall be granted a Junior membership."

Christopher Mallon
10-02-2011, 04:49 PM
I don't really think that's the right place to start talking about the ethics committee Pierre.

Pierre Dénommée
10-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Actually, it should be written in the Constitution that suspended and expelled members are not allowed to purchase a membership. Even small 40 members non-profit incorporated in Quebec do add such details to their Constitution. Poorly written Constitutions can undermine the work of an Ethic Committee by enabling suspended members to return by simply purchasing a membership.

Lyle Craver
10-04-2011, 01:21 AM
I agree - the wording should not imply membership is free (and have always felt that it did say that) while also saying that type J is currently the only kind of junior membership we have.

Michael von Keitz
10-10-2011, 12:21 AM
Discussion surrounded minor editorial work on the motion. Pierre Dénommée felt it appropriate that a clause stating "who has paid the fee determined by the Assembly of Governors and who has not been suspended or expelled by the Ethic Committee or by any other competent organ of the CFC" be added to the text. This did not come into effect, but he may wish to present it as a motion at the next quarterly meeting.