PDA

View Full Version : New CFC bookstore

Bob Gillanders
11-10-2008, 03:45 PM
The CFC has a new bookstore in association with Amazon. You will find it on the CFC website under "Books & Equipment".

The CFC associate store has a great selection of titles at great prices. Shop at our new store and support the CFC, we get a kickback !

Our old store is still running and offering great deals on older titles (while they last) as well as quality chess equipment. We even have CFC baseball caps in black or red.

Egidijus Zeromskis
11-10-2008, 05:29 PM
How do you select books for the store? :p e.g., http://astore.amazon.ca/chesfedeofcan-20/detail/0321424778

Will the shop be like a corner of the full Amazon.ca with kickbacks to CFC?
Just wonder, why has it taken so long to setup such shop? :rolleyes:

Peter McKillop
11-10-2008, 05:46 PM
Soooo, are we to assume that the sale of the CFC's book & equipment to FEN didn't close?

Ken Craft
11-12-2008, 08:30 AM
The Governors were not involved in implementing this deal. That stinks.

Eric Van Dusen
11-13-2008, 02:09 PM
Ken,

The CFC governors voted with a huge majority to permit the CFC Executive to "wind up" the CFC Book and Equipment store. I voted in the affirmative on this motion giving the CFC Executive the power to negotiate an outsourcing agreement. The president, David Lavin has reported to the governors on an interim basis. I trust that the Executive is trying the best under challenging circumstances. The deal with Amazon is probably the best the CFC could have done.

Have you even commented on the Business Plan proffered by the president?

Communication goes both ways,

Eric Van Dusen

Jonathan Berry
11-13-2008, 07:15 PM
The Governors were not involved in implementing this deal. That stinks.Ken,

So far as I know, Amazon store deals are neither permanent nor exclusive, nor do they involve payments other than commissions. I don't think this needed Governor approval. It is day-to-day operations of the Business Office.

Books as a separate concept from Equipment. After all that glib talk of closing down sales, who'd have thunk it? But somebody must have been listening....

Ken Craft
11-14-2008, 08:44 AM
The executive has butchered open communications with the Governors. The Governors should have known this was being considered before it was entered into. The last we had heard was the proposed FEN deal. The Federation should have partnered with Chess and Math many years ago.

Eric- I wouldn't call what the President presented a Business Plan.

Egidijus Zeromskis
12-09-2008, 04:27 PM
The CFC has a new bookstore in association with Amazon. You will find it on the CFC website under "Books & Equipment".

I tried to order and it even worked :)

Because I knew what I wanted it was not difficult to find (search), but I would suggest to make a comprehensive index, even to use the same which is/was at "CFC Store and Supplies".

Bob Armstrong
12-09-2008, 04:36 PM
I am a bit confused on the " sale/wind up " of the CFC Retail Business.

It is clear that the book end of the business is now gone, with only a commission arrangement left with Amazon.

But what about chess equipment and supplies. They are still being sold, and staff time is still going into handling this inventory and these sales.

Are we just selling off existing inventory now? When it is gone, will CFC be totally out of the chess equipment and supplies end of the business too?

Bob

Christopher Mallon
12-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Books are sold through Amazon. Prices are pretty hard to beat!
FEN will be handling equipment.

I think that pretty much sums it up.

Ken Craft
12-10-2008, 04:14 PM
The Federation should have joined forces with the CMA. A missed opportunity even if in the short term the Federation is garnering more revenue from the FEN deal and directing members to Amazon.

Garland Best
12-10-2008, 05:45 PM
Excellent idea, Ken! I'm sure that with all your ideas, plus your frustration with the lack of communications between the executive and the Governors over the past several administrations, that you are more than ready to become a member of the executive at the next AGM, (perhaps even president!) in order to foster an new, open CFC, hand-in-hand with the CMA.
I wait in breathless anticipation for your election platform!

Ken Craft
12-11-2008, 08:16 AM
Your sarcasm is unbecoming, Garland. I served a term as Vice-President and I first became a Governor in 1981 and have been one pretty much since I returned from Ontario in the mid-nineties. My support of CMA-CFC co-operation has been consistent over the years. I may be in the minority of those who think a national federation should be supporting and working in concert with other groups that are promoting chess. YMMV...

Jason Lohner
12-12-2008, 07:47 PM
LOL

so I clicked on the amazon link and what book did I get???

Secure Programming with Static Analysis
By Brian Chess, Jacob West
List Price: CDN$ 54.99
Price: CDN$ 34.64 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $39. Details

yup just what I want for my secure java programming... great deal guys

David Lavin
12-13-2008, 03:05 PM
Really? Because I got Fischer's book for $28.14 with free delivery. It was deliverd on December 9th.

Egidijus Zeromskis
12-13-2008, 10:30 PM
The shop is already one month active. Any summary?

Egidijus Zeromskis
02-16-2009, 12:28 AM
Does the CFC get information what books are most popular at the CFC.amazon bookstore?

or
Should we create own list? :)

similar at chesscafe
http://www.chesscafe.com/Reviews/botyr2.htm

David Lavin
02-16-2009, 08:53 AM
Amazon seems to create lists of books that it recommends based upon what you have purchased in the past. I get regular emails from Amazon based on the 8 or so chess books i have purchased so far.

What I do is get the reviews from New in Chess and other sites and then buy from Amazon. Perhaps the webzine needs a place for book reviews that members can submit, or which links to other lists.

I can tell you that my experience with the store has been great. I got my copy of Fischer's 60 Memorable games delivered to my door weeks before it was available elsewhere, and for less money.