PDA

View Full Version : Chris Mallon - Chris Mallon - Chris Mallon

Peter McKillop
11-09-2008, 03:28 PM
Chris, here are some more questions (some of which may have been asked but not answered previously):

1. Do you, as president of the OCA, have a complete set of all documentation pertaining to the grant from the Trillium Foundation?

2. If you don't have a complete set of the documentation, then:

a) what happened to the missing documentation?;

b) are you doing anything about obtaining a full set of documentation (e.g. asking Trillium for copies)?

c) do you expect to be in a position in the near future to peruse the documentation and make an announcement as to whether or not, in your considered opinion, the OCA used the Trillium monies in compliance with the OCA's agreements with Trillium?

3. If you do have a complete set of the documentation then when can OCA members expect to hear from you relative to point 2 c)?

Peter McKillop
11-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Two days with no response. Is Chris out of town? Ill? Am I being unreasonable in asking these questions? Is it unreasonable to expect an organization, in which I apparently am forced to be a member if I want to play CFC-rated chess, to make full disclosure about whether they spent $120,000 (roughly the equivalent of 20 years-worth of CFC membership dues transfers at present membership levels) in compliance with the terms and conditions of the Trillium Foundation grant? $91,000 of the $120,000 was expended on salary reportedly paid to the then-president of the OCA. What longer term benefits for the Ontario chess community were created with the proceeds of the grant? Were there any?

Christopher Mallon
11-11-2008, 11:11 AM
Hi Peter,

Sorry life's pretty busy right now.

1. Do you, as president of the OCA, have a complete set of all documentation pertaining to the grant from the Trillium Foundation?

no

2. If you don't have a complete set of the documentation, then:

a) what happened to the missing documentation?;
b) are you doing anything about obtaining a full set of documentation (e.g. asking Trillium for copies)?
c) do you expect to be in a position in the near future to peruse the documentation and make an announcement as to whether or not, in your considered opinion, the OCA used the Trillium monies in compliance with the OCA's agreements with Trillium?

a) I suppose Barry still has it along with a lot of other info like tax returns that I was never given, although he insists I was given everything.
b) Yes
c) In my opinion, the monies were used in compliance with the wording of the agreement but not the spirit. I'm not a lawyer though and so far I've only seen the proposed agreement, not the one actually signed.

3. If you do have a complete set of the documentation then when can OCA members expect to hear from you relative to point 2 c)?

Some OCA Governors wanted a more complete investigation into this so I have allowed them to form a small committee. I believe they are supposed to report early in 2009 but I'm at school on my laptop so I don't have the emails handy.

Peter McKillop
11-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the information, Chris. By the way, under what conditions was Thorvardson paid his salary? I don't see any statutory deduction expenses in the 2006 & 2007 financial statements. Hopefully the OCA is on the right footing with CRA.

Eric Van Dusen
11-13-2008, 02:23 PM
Hi Peter,

I am assuming that Chris Mallon is so busy that he has not been keeping up with his emails.

Chris Mallon has formed the OCA Action Committee consisting of Michael von Keitz, SWOCL; Eric Van Dusen, EOCA; and Egidijus Zeromskis, GTCL.

The committee will be investigating issues pertaining to the Trillium Fund and the 2006 Canada Closed, both administered by Barry Thorvardson. A report with recommendations will be issued by the OCA Executive by March 2009. Of course, the committee is trying to be efficient as possible but the committee wants to be thorough and fair in its investigation.

With regards to the documentation pertaining to the Trillium Fund, Barry has continued his position that he has turned all documentation to Chris Mallon. As we can see, Chris has not received all of the documentation. All documentation regarding the Trillium Fund is the property of the OCA, as the agreement was between the OCA and the Trillium Fund. I have been in touch with the Trillium Fund and the Project Manager is willing to release the agreement signed between the OCA and the Trillium Fund, but he is not willing to release the reports submitted by Barrry.

Any help you would like to give, Peter is very much appreciated.

Eric Van Dusen
Secretary EOCA
CFC and OCA Governor

Peter McKillop
11-14-2008, 10:28 AM
Thanks, Eric. It's good to know that responsible people are looking into the matter and that reporting time lines are in place. It seems odd that the Project Manager would refuse to release some of the documentation. Is there an appeal process available relative to disputed decisions of the Foundation?

Eric Van Dusen
11-14-2008, 11:34 AM
Hi Peter,

The Trillium Fund considers the contents of their files as confidential with reference to privacy regulations. As the agreement between the Trillium Fund and the OCA is a legal document, the Project Manager agreed to release this document in order to aid the OCA in its investigations.

Eric Van Dusen
OCA Governor
Secretary EOCA

Peter McKillop
11-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Eric, I sent a note to your inbox.