PDA

View Full Version : CFC Retail Business Sale

Bob Armstrong
11-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Posted by Larry Bevand of Chess’n Math Association on October 29 on ChessTalk :

“ The contract was awarded to FEN (Formation Echecs Nadeau) in Kapuskasing, Ontario. This is a company which belongs to François Nadeau the son of Ellen Nadeau (CFC Junior Coordinator) and Denis Nadeau. To the best of my knowledge, his sales to-date have been mainly to the school board that the Nadeau's work for (both Ellen and Denis are school teachers) as well as the tournaments which the Nadeau's organize in the region.

David Lavin contacted the CMA initially. At the end of the day, our offer on the table was the same as the one we had made to the previous CFC President, Hal Bond. I assume that David then asked around and FEN came forward with an offer which was better than the CMA offer. Did the Nadeau's know what the CMA offer was...before they made their offer...I have no idea.

Since then, I have simply indicated to David that the CMA is still interested in handling the CFC book & equipment sales, should for any reason the deal with FEN falls through in the near or distant future.

The CMA made what I consider to be a fair offer, based on our knowledge of the market. That David wanted more and was capable of getting more...I say more power to him.

The only caveat I have: When the USCF outsourced their book & equipment business a number of years ago, a newcomer to the table outbid everyone else. A year later, he was unable to respect his contract....and the USCF ended up renegotiating for less than what established vendors had offered a year earlier.

Obviously I have pointed this fact out to David. “

Earlier, in GL # 2, CFC President David Lavin had only said about the deal:

“We have nearly finalized a deal with FEN for the management of the CFC's book and equipment business. While the principle's negotiated quickly and fairly, the lawyers took their time!! We are all hopeful that the deal will be concluded by October 13th. “

There has been no further official word from CFC on the completion of the deal, or any of its details, such as any commission arrangement for the CFC. Will there be soon a public status report on this sale ? Was the October 13 deadline met? What commission arrangement was the CFC able to get in this deal?

Bob