PDA

View Full Version : National Capital Open / Championnat Ouvert de l'Outaouais

Aris Marghetis
11-03-2008, 04:47 PM
The EOCA is very pleased to announce a truly unique event to be held in the Ottawa-Gatineau region, which will hopefully attract players from across Ontario and Quebec. This event will serve as a stop on both the Eastern Ontario Chess Association (EOCA) Grand Prix, and an official FQE event (being added to the FQE website as soon as translated). Both CFC and FQE members are welcome, and every player will be rated CFC and FQE, and even FIDE!

In the last few years, both of these events have approached/exceeded 50 players each, and so I am starting with a conservative estimate of 70 players. Even if many players choose the Amateur option (no pairing disadvantage, just ineligible for cash prizes), we should still be able to build a generous prize fund of at least $4K, with $1K for first place, and over $2K in class prizes, spread out every 200 rating points from 2200 to 1400. The exact amounts of the class prizes will be adjusted depending on how many non-Amateur players there are per 200 rating points (the numbers in the ad are just my predictions).

Other significant details include the guarantee of no "forced byes", lodging deals with 3 local hotels, and the highly appreciated email pre-registration!

For complete details for this event, and a great webpage for all of the events in the 2008-2009 EOCA Grand Prix & Active Series, bookmark this weblink:
http://www.eoca.org/htm/tournaments%202008-09.html

For local players who normally pay me in cash at the RA Centre on a Thursday evening, please note that I now have part-time work on Thursday evenings, and so might not make it some weeks. As it stands now, I should be there for hours on the 6th, but I will not be there at all on the 13th, and I don't have my schedule yet for the 20th. Therefore, I very much encourage local players to drop by on the 6th, this Thursday, to complete your registration, or mail it in.

Thanks and regards,

Aris Marghetis, Organizer/TD
EOCA President, OCA/CFC Governor

P.S. Sensible feedback from active readers who frequent multiple Canadian chess newsgroups, has encouraged me to refrain from posting duplicate information at more than one location. Therefore, I will update this thread at the ChessTalk site, which seems to have the most general reader volume:
http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Finally, as I am banned from the OCC board, please feel free to direct people to this post.