PDA

View Full Version : International News Today - May 9, 2011

Fred McKim
05-09-2011, 09:18 PM
One more round to go in the Asian Continental. Yu Yangyi (CHN) won his game today and now has a full point lead over the rest of the field. I'm not sure how ties will be broken in determining the top 4, and that may effect play tomorrow. Five players are a point behind. Nguyen (VIE) plays Yu, while Bu (CHN) plays Sasikiran (IND) and Zhao (CHN) plays Harikrishna (IND). I could be wrong, but I'm expecting a peaceful day tomorrow. We'll see.

At the Bosna Open 2nd seeded Baadur Jobava (GEO) defeated leader Ivan Saric (CRO) to take the lead with 5/6. He is followed by 4 players with 4.5. Thirty year old, Mircea-Emilian Parligras is one of those players. He upset top seed Naiditsch this morning. He is the 3rd ranked player in Romania and has been a constant on the Olympic team the past decade.

The quarter finals of the Candidates matches finished today with a bang. The format was a 4 game rapid match, with further blitz mini-matches if needed. Alexander Grischuk, the last player to qualify for the event defeated fan favourite Levon Aronian 2.5-1.5 (3 decisive games). Vladimir Kramnik and Teimour Radjabov contiued their drawing ways, finishing the 4 game match 2-2. After the 1st blitz match finished 1-1, including a malfunctioning clock with seconds remaining in game 2, Kramnik took the second 2-0. The semi-finals featuring Kamsky (USA) vs Gelfand (ISR) and Grischuk (RUS) vs Kramnik (RUS) start Thursday. Same format as the quarter finales.