PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Someone in the Know (a CFC kahuna, perhaps)

Peter McKillop
10-25-2008, 03:29 PM
If I want to raise a question on CFC policies/procedures through normal channels, how do I know which governor to contact? Is each governor responsible for a specific geographical area within their respective provinces? I live in the Niagara Peninsula. Which governor(s) represent(s) me? Or is it the case that none of the governors represent me, given the CFC's position that individual members have no standing with the CFC (a truly enlightened position in these difficult times for the CFC)?

Garland Best
10-25-2008, 08:52 PM
The Governors in Ontario are names by the OCA, based on the nominations of the four ontario chess leagues (Eastern Ontario Chess Association, Greater Toronto Chess League, South Western Ontario Chess League, and Northern Ontario Chess League). Given your Location, I would say that a Governor from the SWOTL would be your best choice. Try contacting

According to the "Contact us" section of the OCA web site, (http://www.chessontario.com/), the representatives from the SWOCL are Michael von Keitz, Hal Bond, and Doug Hoch, with two vacancies still to be filled. So I recommend contacting those 3 persons first.

Jonathan Berry
10-25-2008, 09:26 PM
I'd say "any Ontario Governor will do", though I suppose that, other things being equal, one from the same league would be best, as Garland recommends :) .

You may have no standing to be heard by the CFC, but you do have standing with your Governor. He or she will listen to you. However, the Governor is a free agent, doesn't need to act upon what you suggest. Once appointed, the Governor is not required to act upon even what the provincial association suggests.

Bob Armstrong
10-27-2008, 12:04 AM
Hi Peter:

I have required assistance from CFC Governors to move forward the Grassroots' Campaign. I have found our local GTCL Governors most responsive. And I have had offers of assistance from SWOCL governors, and even governors in other provinces.

So although it is a bit cumbersome for member participation, I have found it does work, and allow members to influence direction of the CFC.

Bob

Peter McKillop
10-27-2008, 09:55 AM
Garland, Jonathan & Bob, thanks to all three of you for your help.