PDA

View Full Version : The CFC Regular Chess Post – April 14/11

Bob Armstrong
04-14-2011, 01:23 AM
The CFC Regular Chess Post – April 14/11

Chess organization “ affiliation “ includes chess clubs, and is a program to both increase communication with and give incentive to local chess organizations. The core of the program is "Rebates", a system where the organization (or individual) receives money back from the CFC for prompt submission of memberships collected. Section 2108 of the CFC Handbook sets out:

Each affiliate receives a 10% rebate on all CFC (not provincial) dues collected, provided the memberships are remitted to the CFC properly, (free forms are available upon request) and postmarked within 7 days of collection. This is not a discount to be taken off at source, but will be remitted quarterly from the CFC to the Affiliate: http://www.chess.ca/section_21.shtml

Bob Armstrong, CFC Public Relations Coordinator
CFC Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/notes.php?id=628805206&drafts#!/group.php?gid=10564098798
CFC Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/ChessCanada

John Coleman
04-14-2011, 11:36 PM
Do the rest of the benefits still apply?

If the affiliate purchases chess books or equipment for resale, it can obtain a discount from the members' prices. Write to the CFC Business Office for a discount schedule.

The affiliate receives subscription to the magazine.

The affiliate receives a 55% discount from the full rate for advertising of a CFC rated event in the magazine. A rate sheet is available on request. Short notices of CFC-rated events will continue to be published free of charge in "Coming Events".

Each affiliate will receive a free supply of tournament and membership report forms. [see Minutes of Annual Meeting 1977; GL, #1, 1977/78, p.10]

Ken Craft
04-15-2011, 08:27 AM
Highly unlikely, John.

Fred McKim
04-15-2011, 09:21 AM
Do the rest of the benefits still apply?

If the affiliate purchases chess books or equipment for resale, it can obtain a discount from the members' prices. Write to the CFC Business Office for a discount schedule.

The affiliate receives subscription to the magazine.

The affiliate receives a 55% discount from the full rate for advertising of a CFC rated event in the magazine. A rate sheet is available on request. Short notices of CFC-rated events will continue to be published free of charge in "Coming Events".

Each affiliate will receive a free supply of tournament and membership report forms. [see Minutes of Annual Meeting 1977; GL, #1, 1977/78, p.10]

I would definitely say no to the books and equipment, as the whole model of our business has changed since then.

This is the first open discussion we've had about the Affiliate program in some time. It may also be time to increase the fee. It probably should be tied to the annual membership fee. I don't think this fee was ever increased after it's introduction.

John Coleman
04-15-2011, 10:50 AM
I was an affiliate, maybe 20 years ago. I thought the program had lapsed, and was surprised to find it is still active. Probably needs reworking.

Maurice Smith went thru the handbook a couple of years ago, updating various sections with the latest motions. I suspect this section hasn't been looked at for 20 years or more.

With the recent changes in the CFC, the only significant benefit to an affiliate is the 10% rebate on memberships. Why not set the affiliate fee at a multiple of the current membership fee, whatever that might be. For instance, if the affiliate multiple was 2, then the affiliate would pay 2x the current membership fee, and if the affiliate collected 20 membership fees over the year, they would break even.

Something like that.

Fred McKim
04-15-2011, 11:10 AM
I was an affiliate, maybe 20 years ago. I thought the program had lapsed, and was surprised to find it is still active. Probably needs reworking.

Maurice Smith went thru the handbook a couple of years ago, updating various sections with the latest motions. I suspect this section hasn't been looked at for 20 years or more.

With the recent changes in the CFC, the only significant benefit to an affiliate is the 10% rebate on memberships. Why not set the affiliate fee at a multiple of the current membership fee, whatever that might be. For instance, if the affiliate multiple was 2, then the affiliate would pay 2x the current membership fee, and if the affiliate collected 20 membership fees over the year, they would break even.

Something like that.

The present fee is $65. I think $100 might be more appropriate, however get it while it's at this great price.

John Coleman
04-15-2011, 11:48 AM
The present fee is $65. I think $100 might be more appropriate, however get it while it's at this great price.
If the only benefit (apart from helping the CFC, or course) is the membership rebate, at $100 an affilliate would have to collect 28 memberships to break even, at the current rate of $36.

28 renewals might be do-able for Mississauga or Scarborough, but not for smaller centres. When I was an affiliate, 20 years ago, I would ask local players to renew their memberships with me, and very often they would say "I already sent it in". The modern equivalent would be "I paid online".

Just as a matter of interest, how many affiliates are there, at the moment?