PDA

View Full Version : Three Kings in the middle.

Hal Bond
10-22-2008, 05:57 AM
Third rest day;

By now you are no doubt aware that Anand has won again, this time with White. Surely this sixth game was another first for the world championship. Not only did the first 2 wins come with Black, all three wins have come without castling!

Karpov was here for the game and played the opening move. The first 8 moves were played without a lot of hesitation, and then Vishy played 9. h3. I was shadowing Anand again for this game, so I was sitting on his side of the stage, looking into Kramnik’s face. Vladimir glanced despairingly at the ceiling. His thumb and forefinger clasped the bridge of his nose as he closed his eyes, trying not to shake his head. He had been caught again with Vishy’s preparation. After 7 minutes he played b6. By move 14 Kramnik was more than 20 minutes ahead on the clock. By move 20 the clocks were equal and thereafter Vishy always had a little more time.

Today was the day for the doping control procedures, which happened immediately following the game. This created some delays at the press conference. Kramnik was the first to emerge from the testing and proceded by himself. He continues to put on a brave face. In his summary of the game he thought that his move 17... Ne7 was suspect. After giving up his c pawn for some play he noted that White seems to be “just in time in all variations, at least the way I played it. I will have to check the computer to see where I can improve.” The counterplay that Vladimir enjoyed for the pawn(s) seemed awfully dangerous, but Anand maintained control wonderfully. The questions were rather blunt. He admitted that he is a very difficult situation and rightly pointed out that his first priority is to win a game. When this happens he can think about winning the match.

Anand followed some minutes after Kramnik had finished. He agreed with Kramnik that Ne7 was inaccurate, and acknowledged that h3 was a novelty. The idea was to place Vladimir in unfamiliar territory as early as possible. Apparently Kramnik is more accustomed to being on his own much later in the opening. I cannot imagine what it must be like for Kramnik and his team. When asked about the doping procedures, he acknowledged its usefulness for the IOC, but otherwise it is pointless. Computers are the source of advantage these days.

When the press conference was winding down Karpov asked about a certain line and they were analysing on the spot. Karpov made the last move and Vishy smiled. “Ah was looking at ... but ok, Ka2, very nice!”

After 6 games the score now stands at 4.5 – 1.5 and speculation about an early closing ceremony is rampant. If that isn’t bad enough, Kramnik must start the second half of the match with his second black in a row. Can Kramnik win a game? We shall see. According to Yasser “It’s very tough to break a Russian. They’re just iron.” Mind you , he made this comment after game 5.

Stay thirsty my friends!

David Lavin
10-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Hi Hal:

What a fantastic match to be at! I can't imagine how Kramnik must be feeling. It is unfortunate that there was never another Kasparov-Anand match. I guess that was one of the benefits Kasparov had in leaving FIDE.

Have fun and keep the updates coming!

Hal Bond
10-23-2008, 05:30 AM
It’s tough to know who is feeling worse – Kramnik or his elite team of seconds. Personally I would hate to be Leko. He is (presumably) the highest paid and certainly the highest rated member of the team.

Kramnik will play black again today. As we were heading for the playing hall for game 6, Yasser was calling for fireworks because Kramnik could scarcely afford 2 draws with black at this juncture. Well we certainly got a lively game on Tuesday. Now the question is will Kramnik fight today or try to escape with half a point? The way Anand is playing, it seems Kramnik will have to do both!

I’m feeling a bit torn at this stage – a little homesick and a little sad at the prospect of a shortened match in paradise. The barrage of food and drink is becoming more manageable as I learn to just say no. Yesterday was quite restful, except for the hour on the elliptical machine.

David Lavin
10-23-2008, 09:53 AM
What do seconds get paid? I imagine there is a nice bonus for the winning team!

Hal Bond
10-23-2008, 01:40 PM
Good question David - the seconds make their own deals with the dudes. I suggested that Leko was the highest paid strictly based on inferences from Kramnik (I am very happy to have him on my team, his strength is quite apparent in preparation analyses) or something close to that. I think Leko may have worked with Anand in the past, because Vishy also commented that he could not blame Leko for receiving an interesting offer. These remarks came at the opening press conference. I believe the prize fund of 1.5 million Euros is split evenly. The bonus for the winner is a title defence with the winner of Topalov-Kamsky if it ever happens.

The other interesting development now is that Bareev has arrived. I don't know if he is joining team Kramnik officially or just moral support. If I get a chance to ask him I may not be able to convey his answer!