Daxin Jin
04-06-2011, 08:50 AM
Here it is:

CYCC update:

1. Successfully fund raising from Town of Richmond Hill
2. Town of Richmond Hill announced to be the sponsor for 2011 CYCC
3. Local restaurants announced to be the sponsor for 2011 CYCC
4. Confirmed Tournament Venture space and table settings
5. Confirmed with Monroi for on site live game broadcast.
6. Confirmed sufficient chess sets and clocks for the event.
7. Received sample player’s gift bag and approved by CYCC committee. Official order had gone through. Gift bags are expected to be delivered to Toronto at the beginning of June.
8. 11 YCCs held (will be held) across Canada
9. 21 registered players till April 5 2011
10. CYCC Committee invited 2010 U10 World Champion Jason Cao and WIM U18 girl Yuanling Yuan to participate 2011 CYCC. Jason Cao accepted the invitation and will play at 2011 CYCC
11. In discussion of transport players, chess sets and clocks with CO.

Hugh Brodie
04-07-2011, 11:05 AM
As I have done for the last few years, I am willing to enter all the games from the CYCC into the CanBase database at no charge. (last year there were 559 games entered). This assumes that there will be NCR scoresheets (or Monroi) for all games, and that the white copies (not the yellow ones) are collected and sent to me. Incredibly - last year there were only one or two games in which both scoresheets were unreadable.

http://canbase.fqechecs.qc.ca/canbaseii.htm

Bob Armstrong
04-07-2011, 11:12 AM
At Scarborough CC, as one of the two entering SCC games into our club database, I can say that the juniors are some of the best writers in the club - their scores are generally a joy to enter.

Bob

Daxin Jin
04-07-2011, 04:47 PM
Yes, we will keep all scoresheets white copy for Hugh to enter database. Thank Bob for your support to CYCC

Lyle Craver
04-07-2011, 05:43 PM
Then you are truly blessed Bob - having entered zillions of games from the Paul Keres Memorial I can tell you that my all-time favorite was IM X vs FM Y both of whom recorded in non-English algebraic (different languages). Both have quite clear penmanship but by the time you get to the last 10 moves to the time control... !

Let's just say anybody who has entered scoresheets knows the score (no pun intended)

Christopher Mallon
04-07-2011, 05:50 PM
French always messes me up, I see R and think Rook of course.

I even saw a few back in 2004 that used ... what's it called? Figurative-algebraic? Anyway they were drawing the symbols of the pieces and then writing the square they moved to. Imagine doing THAT in time pressure!

Hugh Brodie
04-07-2011, 06:17 PM
Jonathan Berry used to (maybe still does) record his games in figurene [spelling?] algebraic notation.

You get used to reading the various systems - e.g. Portugese or Spanish descriptive (King's Gambit: 1. P4R P4R 2. P4AR).

Aris Marghetis
04-08-2011, 12:22 AM
French always messes me up, I see R and think Rook of course.

I even saw a few back in 2004 that used ... what's it called? Figurative-algebraic? Anyway they were drawing the symbols of the pieces and then writing the square they moved to. Imagine doing THAT in time pressure!
At the WYCC last year, I entered games after hours, and that was strangely fascinating. Besides multiple languages, there are different alphabets, and something like the letter C might mean 3 different pieces! One of the main challenges was when scoresheets were not clear, and so you had to switch from one to the other, but the different languages would mess you up, especially as it was often not obvious which language a sheet was actually in, regardless of the country being represented. In the end though, it became a fascinating exercise, because after a few days of this, all of us doing game entry noted a kind of mental switching, as if every language was a font, and our brains would switch from one to another. It was weird, as it just started happening, speeding us up so much!

Christopher Mallon
04-08-2011, 08:31 AM
Yes, that happens with languages too Aris. A friend of mine spent a year in France, and ever since she came back she has been pretty much thinking in French and translating back to English.

Electronic boards/scoresheets for all? :p