PDA

View Full Version : 13. Tournament Director and Organizer Certification Program ( TDOCP ) Committee – Rep

Lyle Craver
04-01-2011, 01:01 AM
This section is reserved for the TDOCP report

Michael von Keitz
04-01-2011, 04:35 PM
I believe this committee is inactive. In my view, I would like to see this organization facilitate the production of quality FAs, IAs and IOs going forward. How we achieve this is worth discussing. In my experience, few seem genuinely interested in re-establishing the in-house national certification program, so I am prepared to drop that specific vein of discussion.

Fred McKim
04-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Bob G: Unless you know something I don't know, I think you could ask for volunteers for this committee, and they could select a chair.

Bob Armstrong
04-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Hi Fred:

I thought that after a prior Governors' Meeting, which discussed this committee, Chris Mallon was appointed Chair ( don't know if there were any other members appointed ).

Bob

Fred McKim
04-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Hi Fred:

I thought that after a prior Governors' Meeting, which discussed this committee, Chris Mallon was appointed Chair ( don't know if there were any other members appointed ).

Bob
I think it's time to move on.

Bob Armstrong
04-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Hi Fred:

Agreed. Just pointing out what I thought was a fact.

Bob

Hal Bond
04-03-2011, 07:20 AM
I have had a nmber of discussion with MIchael von Keitz on this issue. If the members are agreeable I am willing to chair this committee.

Fred McKim
04-03-2011, 10:37 AM
I have had a nmber of discussion with MIchael von Keitz on this issue. If the members are agreeable I am willing to chair this committee.

Thanks for volunteering for this position, Hal. I think Bob G has the power to approve this once he sees your declaration, and you can proceed with forming your group - volunteers ??

Halldor P. Palsson
04-03-2011, 12:35 PM
This program was put on hold back in 1992 with the best of intentions. When I joined the CFC Executive in 1999 we were going to get to it.

I brought it back to life when I was President 2003-2005. We re-wrote the chapter in the rules. The various Provincial Associations of the CFC nominated those who had been running tournaments to various TD titles.

What happened after that? Nothing much.

I think a first step would be to put those names on the CFC web page. I think anybody who has run 20 or 30 CFC tournaments should be "certifiable" and added to the list.

But then again we can let this go for a few more years while we have yet another committee think about cleaver ways to examine and re-certify these folks.

Fred McKim
04-03-2011, 12:44 PM
This program was put on hold back in 1992 with the best of intentions. When I joined the CFC Executive in 1999 we were going to get to it.

I brought it back to life when I was President 2003-2005. We re-wrote the chapter in the rules. The various Provincial Associations of the CFC nominated those who had been running tournaments to various TD titles.

What happened after that? Nothing much.

I think a first step would be to put those names on the CFC web page. I think anybody who has run 20 or 30 CFC tournaments should be "certifiable" and added to the list.

But then again we can let this go for a few more years while we have yet another committee think about cleaver ways to examine and re-certify these folks.

The new web page will list all those with International & National titles.

I think the new committee will decide if more people can get grandfathered in, or have to write tests, or if titles are for a certain length of time.

Bob Gillanders
04-03-2011, 02:16 PM

Thank you Hal. You have my vote.

My wish is that we keep it simple.
I believe it should be voluntary. What I mean by that is that you don't need to be certified to run a CFC rated event. We don't want to discourage local chess clubs from rating their club tournaments. IMHO, our major tournament will naturally attract certified arbiters without it being mandatory.

Aris Marghetis
04-04-2011, 12:00 AM
I would be interested in joining this committee. I believe Hal would be the ideal chair.

Michael von Keitz
04-04-2011, 12:06 PM
I am also willing to serve on this committee. Is Mark Dutton hiding in the shadows, or is he willing to lend his expertise to the committee as well?

Christopher Mallon
04-05-2011, 11:58 PM
I'm very disappointed that I never was able to put the time into this.

However, when I first volunteered last July at the AGM, I was told the Exec wanted to wait a bit (no real reason given), although I did advise them summer was by far the best for me as a teacher.

I was finally given the go-ahead on August 27th. Two days later I was hired for a full-time teaching job which just sucked away all my time, as expected.

Good luck to the future committee. The forum still exists and if they want to use it rather than email just send me the member names and I'll give them access.

Lyle Craver
04-06-2011, 05:08 PM
I was told by Francisco Cabanas way back in the previous century not to apply for the National TD position as the regulations were under review.

I was subsequently told not to apply as my International Arbiter title made me one automatically.

Now I'm not sure what to believe. :)

I think it's a darned good idea and think we should do more toward director development along the lines of what most national sport federations do concerning Referee Development but I think it something we need someone to quarterback and I'm not sure a member of the Executive is the one to do it.