PDA

View Full Version : 3. President's Welcome & Report

Lyle Craver
04-01-2011, 12:45 AM
We welcome CFC President Bob Gillanders

Bob Gillanders
04-01-2011, 03:09 AM
Solved. Thank you.
I will be back after breakfast, and we can start dialoging. :)

Bob Gillanders
04-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Welcome Governors to the April 2011 meeting.

I think we have worked out most of the bugs now. We will be voting online at this meeting. We will play it by ear again, as to when the discussion phase ends and the voting phase starts.

There is a motion 2011-J that we will be voting on, that if approved, the entire text of quarterly meetings will become "the minutes" and will be open to the public. If approved, it will apply retroactively to this meeting. Please keep that in mind. Check out the specific thread for details and discussion.

For those with reports to post, please do so ASAP to get the discussion started. Having said that, I apologize for not having all my reports ready for the starting gun. I have been busy this week. I hope to have all reports posted by 5 pm today.

New topics for discussion can be requested by posting on the "New Business" thread or email me directly. Where appropriate, we will start a new thread. I see one important issue missing, the GST/HST issue. :(

Welcome again, and I hope we can keep this meeting productive and not get sidetracked on procedural wrangling. We do have important issues to discuss.

Thanks.

Bob Gillanders
04-07-2011, 05:51 PM
I have been busy you'all.

Just in for two minutes, then back out again.
Will be back at midnight tonight, and will get caught up on everything.
I have tomorrow off. So I will reply the many thousands of emails backing up my inbox tomorrow. :D

Will review tonight, and see if we are ready to start voting on stuff, or not. :rolleyes:

Bob Gillanders
04-08-2011, 01:23 AM
I just got in a short while ago.

Motion 2011-K Members Rights Movers are requesting amendment?

Motion 2011-M Selecting players for NAYCC.
I am quite surprised to see so little debate recently. Have the governors adequate understanding of the issues involved?

I need to review these issues with fresh eyes in the morning. I have been going hard for a few days now, and not sufficiently alert to deal with this now. I need some sleep.

With the voting delays, it would be unfair to those with weekend plans if we suddenly opened up the polls for only a couple of days. With that in mind, the polls will stay open until at least late on monday.

We'll pick this discussion up in the morning.
Thanks everyone for your patience. :)

Bob Gillanders
04-11-2011, 11:20 AM
A general question for anyone.

What are the qualification to run for an office on the executive?

Do you need to be 18 years old?
Do you need to be a CFC member in good standing?
Do you need to be an incoming governor?

Just asking. Too lazy to look it up myself. :)

Fred McKim
04-11-2011, 11:46 AM
A general question for anyone.

What are the qualification to run for an office on the executive?

Do you need to be 18 years old?
Do you need to be a CFC member in good standing?
Do you need to be an incoming governor?

Just asking. Too lazy to look it up myself. :)

I think you have to be 18 to be a Governor, which would IMPLY an Executive member.

At one time I thought a non-Governor could't run against a Governor for an Executive position, but I think the interpretation in recent years is that any adult member can run, regardless.

Ken Craft
04-11-2011, 02:24 PM
I believe, Fred is correct.

Christopher Mallon
04-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Legally you need to be 18 to be a Governor AND/OR on the Executive. We ran in to that a few years back when the 2nd-place player in the Closed was under 18 and couldn't gain the Governor spot he was entitled to.

There is no need to be a Governor.

As for a member in good standing... this is less clear. The strictly interpreted rules state that Officers have the same rights as Governors; it does not say that they ARE Governors, and thus the rule that you must be a member in good standing does not apply.

Perhaps we should think about closing that loophole, by amending by-law 2, section 20, and add "must meet the same eligibility requirements as any other Governor, as specified in by-law 1, section 13."

Bob Armstrong
04-11-2011, 05:46 PM
Hi Chris:

I think it would be simpler, and accord more with fact, if we amend it to say " officers " ARE governors. We treat them as such in all ways - they are on the list of governors. Let's just make the law what the fact is.

Bob

Lyle Craver
04-12-2011, 06:08 PM
This has been a matter of some controversy for some years and decisions from year to year have come down on both sides of the question.

The sticking point it seems is what happens to Executive members who are first elected as Governors in their home provinces (like me - since the BC AGM is like most AGMs held in May while the CFC AGM is in July and a big part of the Secretary's job is wheedling the next year's list from the present Governors and/or provincial execs - hint hint) and then elected to national positions.

Does their provincial executives have the right to nominate a replacement Governor? Some years the answer was yes, currently the answer is no (except for the President)

I think Bob's right on this and the Handbook language on this subject is some of the most arcane in the entire Handbook. If it were my call I would allow right of replacement but in 2010-11 my view did not carry the day.

Bob Armstrong
04-12-2011, 06:17 PM
Hi Lyle:

Just to be a bit clearer maybe, I am easy either way as to whether provincial representative governors, elected to the executive, become governors-at-large, like the President clearly is. That is why he can appoint a replacement provincial representative governor from his home province. I don't see any reason why this couldn't also be re the other elected executive - but I will simply go with the majority on this. The current status quo, where the opinion is that they remain provincial representative governors is also fine with me.

What I do want however, is that non-executive officers be clearly stated to be governors, where they are not governors before election - as is the case for the women's coordinator, Anna Jin. I don't like the current Handbook wording that says they are " like " governors. They should " BECOME " governors on election - straightforward and simple.

Bob