PDA

View Full Version : 28f. CYCC Qualification rules - Gillanders amendment

Bob Gillanders
01-19-2011, 02:25 PM
Lyle or me, please post motion here, ASAP

Bob Gillanders
01-19-2011, 09:35 PM
I previously suggested this motion on thread 28. I haven't seen any discussion, but I will present it here again.

Motion: Bob Gillanders (mover), Stuart Brammall (seconder)

To amend section 1003 of the CFC Handbook:
"1003. Players: {Motion 2009-13 2009 AGM Nadeau/Lavin}
The following players shall be eligible to participate in each Youth Tournament provided they comply with the formal entry requirements of Article 1007:
(a) The qualifiers from that year's YCC's.
(b) The qualifiers from the CYCC to the WYCC of the previous year.
(c) The highest rating of each age category {open & female} of each Province {as of May 1st prior to the CYCC}
(d) The host organizer may nominate three players for each category from the host location. {Amendment of Original Motion Barron/Langer}"

by adding the clause:

(f) where there is no provincial qualifier, up to 3 players may be qualified at the discretion of the provincial youth coordinator. In the absence of a Provincial Co-ordinator, players would apply to the CFC Youth Co-ordinator.

Comments:
I want to allow kids from smaller provinces, where perhaps there is no active youth coordinator, a qualification rule so that we don't leave them behind.

Is anyone willing to second this motion.

IMPORTANT: I do not mean for this motion to replace any of the other motions. They all have merit. I recommend you vote yes to them all. :)

My motto is: Leave no kid behind! Let them play. :D

Fred McKim
01-19-2011, 10:15 PM
Is that 3 players in total or three players in each category ?

Bob Gillanders
01-19-2011, 10:18 PM
I meant 3 players in total per province.
Given the very low historical attendance from smaller provinces, I thought that was enough. The idea is to catch some budding superstar who may live in a remote area with little access to organized chess.

Fred McKim
01-19-2011, 10:23 PM
Your second sentence should probably be reworded, as it's a bit informal....

In the absence of a Provincial Co-ordinator, players would apply to .....

Bob Gillanders
01-19-2011, 10:28 PM
Thanks Fred. I changed it, better now.

I would also find apply to CFC Youth Coordinator as acceptable. :)

Fred McKim
01-19-2011, 10:32 PM
I would think the CFC Youth Co-ordinator would be more appropriate.

Stuart Brammall
01-19-2011, 10:33 PM
I'll second this--

Bob Armstrong
01-19-2011, 10:40 PM
Nice procedural move guys - you're not amending a filed motion, without vote of the assembly, you're still just " drafting a motion " to be filed at some future date, when agreed upon !

Bob

Egidijus Zeromskis
01-19-2011, 10:58 PM
I would think the CFC Youth Co-ordinator would be more appropriate.

Than the change is needed in the constitution too.

"YOUTH COORDINATOR

8B. The Youth Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating our participation in the World Junior Championship, the World Girls Championship, the WYCC, the Pan-American Junior and Youth Championships, The North American Junior and Youth Championships, the World Youth Chess Olympiad, and any other FIDE-related junior tournaments. The Youth Coordinator will be responsible for finding organizers for the Canadian Junior Championship and the Canadian Youth Chess Championships, and for assisting the Provincial Junior Coordinators in finding organizers for the Youth Chess Championships, and any Regional Qualifier Youth Chess Championships. [see Motion 2010-16]"

Bob Gillanders
01-19-2011, 11:22 PM
Thanks Fred and Stuart.
Motion ready to be voted on. :)

Ken Craft
01-20-2011, 08:24 AM
I have a suggestion. Let's make the CYCC an open tournament. By the time we are done creating all of these manners by which to qualify that is what will be achieved. better to rescind the ill-thought original motion.

There are and have seemed to be two issues at play in tthis whole debate.

One is encouraging as many children as possible to play chess. This is an area where we should be partnering with the CMA who have been successful in this field.

The second goal has been to staff the CYCC.

I don't think the two are necessarily related and trying to make them so is engendering a good deal of ill will.

Michael Barron
01-21-2011, 12:42 AM
I previously suggested this motion on thread 28. I haven't seen any discussion, but I will present it here again.

Motion: Bob Gillanders (mover), Stuart Brammall (seconder)

To amend section 1003 of the CFC Handbook:
"1003. Players: {Motion 2009-13 2009 AGM Nadeau/Lavin}
The following players shall be eligible to participate in each Youth Tournament provided they comply with the formal entry requirements of Article 1007:
(a) The qualifiers from that year's YCC's.
(b) The qualifiers from the CYCC to the WYCC of the previous year.
(c) The highest rating of each age category {open & female} of each Province {as of May 1st prior to the CYCC}
(d) The host organizer may nominate three players for each category from the host location. {Amendment of Original Motion Barron/Langer}"

by adding the clause:

(f) where there is no provincial qualifier, up to 3 players may be qualified at the discretion of the provincial youth coordinator. In the absence of a Provincial Co-ordinator, players would apply to the CFC Youth Co-ordinator.

Comments:
I want to allow kids from smaller provinces, where perhaps there is no active youth coordinator, a qualification rule so that we don't leave them behind.

Is anyone willing to second this motion.

IMPORTANT: I do not mean for this motion to replace any of the other motions. They all have merit. I recommend you vote yes to them all. :)

My motto is: Leave no kid behind! Let them play. :D

Bob,

Unfortunately, it looks like you're suggesting to give more authority to youth coordinators who don't want to organize youth tournaments... :(

Don't you think we should do exactly opposite? :confused:

Sure, we should leave no kid behind, but need to use appropriate rules to ensure this.

We have this rule in the Handbook http://www.chess.ca/section_10.shtml :

"1015. Authority of the Board of Directors:

The CFC Board of Directors shall rule on any situation not covered by these regulations and shall have the authority to rule on any matter which is in dispute."

and will use it, when necessary.

No need to create unnecessary rules.

On behalf of the CFC Youth Committee I ask all Governors to vote against this motion.