PDA

View Full Version : 28e. CYCC Qualification rules - Barron amendment

Bob Gillanders
01-19-2011, 02:24 PM
Lyle or Michael, please post your motion here.

Bob Gillanders
01-19-2011, 09:20 PM
This new thread replaces #28 in order to separate the various amendment proposals. This thread is for the original motion 2011-C. See thread 28 for prior discussions.

28. Motion 2011-C: (moved by Michael Barron, seconded by Anna Jin)

To amend section 1003 of the CFC Handbook:
"1003. Players: {Motion 2009-13 2009 AGM Nadeau/Lavin}
The following players shall be eligible to participate in each Youth Tournament provided they comply with the formal entry requirements of Article 1007:
(a) The qualifiers from that year's YCC's.
(b) The qualifiers from the CYCC to the WYCC of the previous year.
(c) The highest rating of each age category {open & female} of each Province {as of May 1st prior to the CYCC}
(d) The host organizer may nominate three players for each category from the host location. {Amendment of Original Motion Barron/Langer}"

by adding the clause:

"(e) The former CYCC champions"

Stuart Brammall
01-19-2011, 09:33 PM
Can someone clarify what this means... how is (e) different from (b).
Is it the top 3 or just the top 1?
Does this mean all the winners back to the beginning of time, or just last year?
(I guess the beginning of time in this case would be at most 13 or 14 years)

Bob Gillanders
01-19-2011, 09:46 PM
Stuart,

Michael answered this on thread 28.

(b) 1st, 2nd, 3rd place finishers at last years CYCC.

(e) means 1st place champions at CYCC for all prior years.

Some overlap of players.

Lyle Craver
01-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Since when is it a problem if a candidate qualifies under more than one regulation?

Stuart Brammall
01-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Since when is it a problem if a candidate qualifies under more than one regulation?

I don't think anyone said it was a problem. I was simply not clear on the interpretation of this motion.

Fred McKim
01-20-2011, 02:19 PM
I think this amendment would be clearer by using the word "All" instead of "The" to begin the sentence

Ellen Nadeau
01-20-2011, 03:44 PM
I cannot say I am much in favour of this motion.
Conceivably a U8 champion can disappear for 6 years and come back to CYCC without any other basis than that he had won a long time ago. We allow for previous winners and top 3 to come back the next year but leaving it open to potentially a 10 year gap(7 -17) is too much.

Stuart Brammall
01-20-2011, 04:42 PM
Conceivably a U8 champion can disappear for 6 years and come back to CYCC without any other basis than that he had won a long time ago. We allow for previous winners and top 3 to come back the next year but leaving it open to potentially a 10 year gap(7 -17) is too much.

Not to offend, but the former U8 champion would likely be very close to the player qualified from NOSCC. :#

Valer Eugen Demian
01-20-2011, 05:34 PM

It is pretty simple to fix this: clause "(e) The former CYCC champions" should be limited to the previous year!

Stuart Brammall
01-20-2011, 06:05 PM
Then it is the same as (b).

(Which is fine with me, but likely the motion has supposed to have some purpose)

Michael Barron
01-21-2011, 12:08 AM

Ellen,

This is exactly the point of this amendment - to keep a U8 champion in the loop and don't let him disappear for 6 years!

Of course, it's impossible to do without help of all people involved - Provincial organization, coach, parents...

But if, after becoming a champion, a kid has 2 not very successful years, a right to play at CYCC could help to keep him playing chess.

On behalf of the CFC Youth Committee I ask all Governors to vote in favour of this motion.

Patrick McDonald
01-21-2011, 02:25 AM
By implementing this motion, you don't succeed in keeping a player from disapearing for 6 years ... you just give them a bye when they do return allowing them direct access to the CYCC.

Absolutely this goes against the whole idea of the YCC qualification system.
In fact it almost encourages them to disappear for a few years because it doesn't matter if they don't play ... they will be able to enter later anyway.

Qualification should be limited to ONLY the previous year's champions.