PDA

View Full Version : 37C - Youth Olympiad Coordinator position

Bob Gillanders
01-16-2011, 10:21 PM
Introductory remarks to be posted by Michael Barron.

Michael Barron
01-16-2011, 10:29 PM
Dear Governors,

As you know, last year Canadian Team participated in the World Youth Olympiad for the first time in the history, and made top 10 finish from the first attempt!

The Canadian participation in this prestigious event was possible only due to energy and organizational talent of the Team Captain - Gary Gladstone.

I would think, we should already start preparation to the next Youth Olympiad - planned for September this year - please see:
http://www.fide.com/index.php?option...alview&aid=605

For this purpose we need a dedicated person, who will coordinate all activities related to the Youth Olympiad and serve as a Team Captain (unless decides to send somebody else).

It could be achieved by creation of new non-executive officer position of Youth Olympiad Coordinator.

Michael von Keitz
01-17-2011, 06:33 PM
I don't know how I feel about the creation of another Officer position. Could the responsibilities of this proposed position not be rolled into those of the Olympiad Committee?

Fred McKim
01-17-2011, 06:45 PM
I'm kind of on the fence on this one, Michael. It seems to me that the only reason we had a team this year was because of Gary Gladstone and his son.

I wonder how easy it will be to get a team in the future, without such a dedicated individual spearheading the cause.

In any case, I would think the person would have to come from your Youth Committee, whether they warrant an Officer position, I'm not sure.

Egidijus Zeromskis
01-17-2011, 08:42 PM
For this purpose we need a dedicated person, who will coordinate all activities related to the Youth Olympiad and serve as a Team Captain (unless decides to send somebody else).

It could be achieved by creation of new non-executive officer position of Youth Olympiad Coordinator.

Michael, do you have anybody in your mind (at least for this year)? I assume the title will make an easier way to approach sponsors.

Michael Barron
01-17-2011, 10:39 PM
Yes, I have at least 2 candidates in my mind for this year.
And yes, the title will make an easier way to approach sponsors.

During the discussion on the Youth Committee Forum was suggested the following course of actions:
1) CFC Governors create new officer position,
2) We publicly call for volunteers,
3) We discuss all candidates on the Youth Committee Forum and make recommendations for the Executive,
4) The CFC Executive appoint the selected person for the Youth Olympiad Coordinator position,
5) The Youth Olympiad Coordinator manages preparation for the Youth Olympiad.