PDA

View Full Version : 22. Outstanding National Championships (Canadian Closed / Women's Closed)

Lyle Craver
01-15-2011, 01:51 AM
Please post your report here

Bob Gillanders
01-15-2011, 11:49 AM
We are 3 for 5 now,

Canadian Open, CYCC, and Canadian Junior in the hopper,

but we still have the Canadian Closed and Women's Closed to go.

FIDE has advised us the deadline for the closed is now May 31st. :(

Egidijus Zeromskis
01-15-2011, 10:08 PM

May you clarify - May 31 - is it the final date of the Closed tournament?

Bob Armstrong
01-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Hi Egis:

I'm not sure, but it may be the date by which Canada must submit the name of the Zonal representative in the FIDE World Cup. But Bob G will have to clarify.

Bob

Michael von Keitz
01-17-2011, 06:09 PM
What's the projected deadline for the Women's Championship?

Fred McKim
01-17-2011, 06:27 PM
What's the projected deadline for the Women's Championship?

At the moment the Open (Men's) & Women's FIDE events the winner's qualify for are in opposite years. So any bid for a Women's would have to specify if it was a Zonal event. I can't see the Women's Zonal taking place before the summer

We're really caught short on the Men's now that FIDE has moved the timing of the World Cup.

Lyle Craver
01-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Yeah well you know how good FIDE is on the subject of advising member federations...

Christopher Field
01-18-2011, 05:51 PM
We are 3 for 5 now,

Canadian Open, CYCC, and Canadian Junior in the hopper,

but we still have the Canadian Closed and Women's Closed to go.

I may be somewhat out-of-touch, but I have not seen any mention of the Canadian Junior. When and where was this decided? When and where will it be held?
Dates for such tournaments ought to be made available well in advance to all who organise other junior events, in order to avoid compounding problems of conflicting dates.

Bob Gillanders
01-18-2011, 06:02 PM
Chris,

Mississauga Chess Club is hosting the Canadian Junior.

http://www.mississaugachessclub.ca/CanadianJuniors2011.html

Christopher Field
01-18-2011, 11:48 PM
Thank you.

Lyle Craver
01-19-2011, 12:23 AM
Bob, might I suggest that websites for national events AS A MATTER OF POLICY be linked on the CFC Homepage?

I don't think this requires a motion but is simply something we should be doing routinely.

Bob Gillanders
01-19-2011, 12:38 AM
Lyle,

Yes we should be advertising on our website. I noted that oversight last week and sent Gerry an email. You should see that fixed on wednesdays update. :)

Lyle Craver
01-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Actually one thing the USCF does that I really like is that on the bottom of their equivalent page to the one we're talking about they have a section labelled "The USCF is now receiving bids on the following events. Prospective bidders - please refer to the prescribed bidding for at (url)" - they generally do it 1-2 years in advance.

They also have an overdue bid page (http://www.uschess.org/tla/overduebids.php) which get considered immediately

Christopher Mallon
01-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Whoever decides to run the next Closed should insist on having each player sign a code of conduct which clearly includes "Not allowed to complain in public/online about anything concerning the tournament without first raising said complaint with the organizer"

Stuart Brammall
01-21-2011, 10:50 PM
Whoever decides to run the next Closed should insist on having each player sign a code of conduct which clearly includes "Not allowed to complain in public/online about anything concerning the tournament without first raising said complaint with the organizer"

Or they could just not invite everyone's favourite IM. ;) It was so shameful when that guy played in the U2400 section of the Canadian Open 2008 (while his ratings were, cfc 2428, fide 2392)

Ken Craft
01-24-2011, 08:23 AM
I'm not sure we want to be stifling free speech, Chris.

Stuart, your grudge with this individual gets tiresome. Keep it to Chesstalk.

Halldor P. Palsson
01-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Given that FIDE has advised us that the deadline for the closed is now May 31st and no one has come forward to organize it can the CFC organize and run the tournament?