PDA

View Full Version : 07. Public Relations Coordinator's Report

Lyle Craver
01-15-2011, 01:39 AM
This thread is reserved for Bob Armstrong's report

Bob Armstrong
01-15-2011, 11:09 AM
Public Relations Coordinator Report

At the Toronto July CFC AGM, the governors passed Motion 2010-17 creating a non-executive officer position of " Public Relations Coordinator " ( upgrading the prior position of Director of Publicity ). Bylaw 3 of the CFC Handbook, under Duties of Officers in Section 8C, gives the mandate of this position as:

8C. The Public Relations Coordinator will be responsible for promoting the image of the CFC and for promoting chess generally to the public. As such the Public Relations Coordinator will, among other things:

- deal with mainstream media to promote significant chess news, such as Canadian Chess Champions, a new Canadian GM, major tournaments like the Can. Closed, Canadian Open, Can. Women’s Closed, CYCC, etc., the various benefits accruing from playing chess and other positive aspects of the chess culture.

This position in its initial creation never got filled. I volunteered in Sept. 2010 to be “ acting “ Public Relations Coordinator, and carried on the task for a few months. Then in November I agreed to take on the position permanently.

Because of this situation, the CFC has never developed a bank of Canadian mainstream media contacts who might be willing to publish CFC Press Releases on chess items, or to write articles on chess. I have now developed a list of some 50 print, on-line, TV and radio contacts across the country ( though most in Ontario still ) to which I send the CFC Press Releases. If anyone can supply me with a contact with their local media across the country, and an e-mail address, I will add them to my lists.

I write some press releases myself, and on some I collaborate with others, under who's name the press release may appear.

CFC is making its CFC Press Releases available to any member for any publicity efforts they might be undertaking. They are always posted on the CFC “ News “ Forum. I have asked to be advised of any efforts made and use of the material, so CFC can build a file on the efforts being made to promote chess in Canada.

Newspapers do not acknowledge press releases ( too many daily ) and do not notify you if they make use of one. So I have asked that if anyone sees/hears an article on one of our press releases in any of the papers, or on TV or on radio, they advise me. I have been warned that it has not been easy to get chess material into the mainstream media, and this has been my experience so far. But our press releases do often generate an inquiry or two, and we have been successful in getting some print and on-line articles published based on our press release, and my conversations with the respective journalists. We have also arranged a number of TV interviews for some of our elite players – in some cases I have also been interviewed to give the CFC perspective on the event. Nevertheless, CFC should have very modest expectations of success on this front. But hopefully, over time, with developing contacts, this will change.

If anyone has any newspaper, television or radio contacts I might be able to use, or any advice on this effort, please e-mail me : bobarm@sympatico.ca

CFC has issued 7 Press Releases in 2010 ( from our start in August - see the CFC Chess “ News “ Forum ):

1. Canadians Do Well at World Junior Chess Championship
2. WIM Yuanling Yuan Leads Can. Women's Olympiad Team
3. Canada Supports Karpov for FIDE Presidency
4. Top Canadian Knocks Off World # 2 At World Chess Olympiad
5. Canadian Olympiad Teams To Get " Red Carpet" Treatment
6. Canadian Jason Cao - New U 10 World Chess Champion
7. FM Jason Cao Wins 2010 Canadian Chess Player of the Year Award

This is a challenging task, but it is one of the core objectives of the CFC – promotion of chess to the general public through mainstream media. I feel we are finally making some modest progress on this objective.

Bob, Public Relations Coordinator

Bob Gillanders
01-15-2011, 06:38 PM
Thanks Bob for taking on this important task.

The Hamissauga (Hamilton & Mississauga) organizers had an organizing meeting last night for the Canadian Junior and Ontario Open tournaments. The issue of media exposure came up. I will give you a call after the governors meeting is finished. :)

Christopher Mallon
01-15-2011, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the good work Bob. I always figured this job was perfect for you (or vice versa?) so it was just a matter of time before you "fell" into it! :)

Ken Craft
01-20-2011, 04:05 PM
I want to echo the praise for Bob A taking on this position.