PDA

View Full Version : The Silence is Deafening

Bob Armstrong
10-07-2008, 01:42 AM
Not a peep about what is happening in the CFC - the Governors must be under a gag order.

Good strategy - if the plebs know nothing, they won't have input, and can't disagree with the Executive/Governors in public.

Keep all the bad news 'til the GL - that way all the noise comes at once and isn't so deafening, and doesn't get lengthened out.

Have to hand it to the current Executive ! We all just trust you.

Bob

David Lavin
10-07-2008, 08:58 AM
Bob:

As you well know, On September 15th I distributed a business plan to all the Governors. This plan raised a number of issues which I considered to be controversial. Only five Governors commented on the plan, one to point out a typo. Either the other 50+ agreed with it completely, or didn't read it. When I become a mind reader I'll tell you which.

Some of the issues I raised in the plan include the following:

The fact that over 97% of all junior rating fees came from Ontario and BC
A request for ideas on how to increase CFC rated junior tournaments in the rest of Canada
A request for an integrated and national junior program, not just a series of ad hoc events
That we have a new Executive position of National Tournament Director whose duties could include overseeing all the National Championships, developing a national certification program, and assisting new TD's and Organizers. After all, isn't the CFC about tournament chess?
I provided a table of various membership fee structures, including revenue projections, for discussion.
I provided a table of various rating fee structures, including revenue projection, for discussion.
I suggested that we only have one membership fee for all players, whether adult, junior, family, or tournament.
I suggested a special membership fee for children who only play in junior tournaments, effective once the on-line magazine is up.
I provided a budget which sees the CFC in the black by January 1, 2009.
Etc., etc., etc.

So please, don't ask the Executive why they are silent. We're doing the very best that an able group of people can under difficult circumstances.

Instead, ask your appointed Governors, many of whom are very active in the various forums, why they couldn't find time to contribute their valuable ideas on the future of the organization.

As the saying goes, "if you're not part of the solution -- you're part of the problem."

And for what its worth Bob, I see you as part of the solution, whether I agree with you or not. You should be a Governor!

Garland Best
10-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Interesting.

Is it possible to release at least part of the plan and proposed structures to the public for commentary? I think it would be valuable if the process was more transparent. Currently as an outsider I only see little to no activity, and simply finger pointing by some Governors at the executive, met with silence. The optics are bad.

A shame really, as there have been some significant positives recently. The improved operations of the office, the announcement of an editor for an online magazine, and the fund raising for an olympic team are all good things.

A real road map, with milestones, of how we intend to achieve viability again would be welcome.

Bob Armstrong
10-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Hi David:

I agree with Garland. I was NOT saying nothing was being DONE.

I was saying nothing was being " disclosed to members/public ". The CFC has been in serious trouble. Members are as concerned as Governors/Executive, and they were being left totally in the dark. I knew your business plan was positive, because you shared it with me, on the same basis as governors, that it's content not be disclosed until you did so. But members generally were hearing only silence. I do not think merely reporting on issues in the GL is sufficient communication with members - issues, not confidential, should be being debated between Executive/Governors and members here in the CFC public forum, not just among Governors on their own private Discussion Board ( though their lack of response to your business plan proposal is troubling ). Governors could do that if they were sure they were not under some type of gag order, if their inter-activity level with the membership could be encouraged.

Congratulations on communicating your ideas to the membership; I think you could even release more details, and get member input - I had told you I thought they were very positive. Hopefully the membership will now see them as moving in the right direction, and feel somewhat heartened that the ship is not rudderless.

More of this communication would not hurt.

Bob

P.S. Thanks for the encouragement to become a Governor. I'm considering it. In some ways it would make my life as a CFC member easier.

Ken Craft
10-07-2008, 02:31 PM
I'm glad to see the President is interested in discussing things in public.

Four provinces had junior participation: BC, Ontario, Alberta and NB. The answer to all of the questions re. junior participation is to enter into a meaningful partnership with the CMA. They know how to run junior programmes.

There is no need for an executive position of National Tournament Director.
We actually need fewer executive members and more public communication from them. i'm still waiting privately for the terms of the CFC's outsourcing and for a public naming of the company.

Executive Director job description is fine.

CFC should not seek to give up its zonal status.

$5 rating fee is not defensible.

The CFC should continue collecting Provincial membership fees because the CFC is a confederation of provincial associations. To cease collecting these fees as part of a national fee is an invitation for provinces to go on their own.

The issue of class prizes is properly left up to the discretion of tournament directors and organizers.

The President should post his "plan."

Bob Armstrong
10-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Hi Ken:

Thanks for responding positively to the request for more governor participation on this board. If we can get more governors to also participate, it may be the membership can have positive input on issues facing the CFC.

Bob

Ken Craft
10-08-2008, 11:55 AM
GL #2 is in the hands of the Governors.

Bob Armstrong
10-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Hi Ken:

Can't wait to see our 3 Grassroots' Campaign motions ruled " out of order " !

Bob

Ken Craft
10-08-2008, 02:05 PM
They are included for first discussion.

Bob Armstrong
10-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Hi Ken:

Thanks for the info. Good news ! :) :)

Credits to the Executive for accepting the " common sense " solution to the impasse of the July CFC AGM motion on CFC fees and the unupdated CFC Handbook. It's now up to the Governors.

Bob